Earmax vs Earmax Pro
Aug 18, 2010 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

realmassy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,
I just got a used Earmax (?) but I'm not entirely sure this is the pro version or the standard one.
As far as I understand the pro uses ECC88 tubes, while the standard uses the ECC86. The amp came with a pair of ECC88 and a pair Mullard ECC86.
On the amp there's no "Earmax Pro" plate, as I've seen on many images, so how can I be sure this the pro version?
It's in black and gold:

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 31
Realmassy, Does the amp have a serial number on it???  Was it advertised as a pro?  If "IT" works OK and your happy with the sound, I don't think I'd worry to much about it being one or the other.....I'm not a expert on this amp but they have been around a pretty long time!   PS...Maybe Google (What's the difference between the EARMAX AMPS?)  good luck and just enjoy you amp.....It sure looks nice. 

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 31
Thanks for the reply. I like the sound, very different from what I'm used. The amp has been advertised as 'pro', in that case I don't understand why it came with the ecc86 tubes. Any problem using them if the amp has been designed for the ecc88? I asked the seller, and I'm wating for the reply. I want to make sure of the version and use the right tubes. The (stock?) ecc88s sound 'louder' and brighter too. Unfortunately there's no serial number.

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 31
The only other thing you could do is Look up any dealers who might still sell the Ear Max and ask for Info....Also type Ear max Amp into the search Forums here, you'd be surprised what you might find...Hell, maybe skylab (member) might have some more info for you...Good luck

Aug 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 31
Ok,
Harj is the seller. I sent him a message asking to send back the headphones (I trade my HE-5LE for his "advertised" earmax PRO), and I'll post the amp.
This is his reply:

Quote:
You can post out if you like but I will not be posting nothing out. This trade was done in person you saw the amp before you exchanged your headphones. 

So as far he is concerned the trade is fine, though he's advertised and sold something that is not the actual product.

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 31
I have just spent 37 mins with you on the phone at 01:14 am and the only reason I got of was because the battery died out. I have explained to you this is the pro version, my reason for a fair trade and me phoning Germany tomorrow to confirm this is the pro version.

I sent that reply to you because of your repeated messages even though I told you to wait until we speak on the phone in the morning as this would be better.

Yesterday I drove over hour to your house to trade this, as I said to you on the phone I would rather deal with you in person to avoid any problems (I guess this still ain't good enough for some people). You had all the time to check the amp and make sure you was happy before I left your house and in your own words you did say that you would be researching this amp before the trade. You would think you knew what you was looking for. Before I left the house you told me that you was happy with the trade and you liked the way it sounded. If you wasn't happy then we simply wouldn't have traded. 

You can look at my previous post and see that I have always believed, still today that this is the earmax pro and not the standard amp. I would also like you to check back at thread/add of this amp in FS amp forum. There is full description of the tubes and plus loads of close up pictures of the amp and tubes. Do you think if I was trying to scam someone I would of made my thread like this? 

I would also like to point out that if was going to pull some sort of scam, I don't think I would of offered to drive to your house were you could of examined the amp in person before the amp was traded. You was more then happy for me to post the amp and for you to post the headphone out at the same time but I decided it would be safer for both of us to trade in person

I have brought a couple things on here before without no problems, as your aware I have more then 200 positive feedback on eBay where I have brought and sold many items.

Another thing to note Massi is that you contacted and approached me about the trade no body forced you to do this and after your research you decided to trade your headphones.

Can I also request that you please stop sending me repeated  messages, other wise I will report you to the moderators for harassment. 

Thank you

Aug 18, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 31
Before this will become a fighting, can anyone tell me how to distinguish between SE (silver edition) and  Pro version and normal version.
I'm going to recieve mine next month.

Aug 19, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 31
Maybe it's not a scam because you (probably) didn't know that the amp was the standard version, though you bought it more than two years ago.

It's definitely a scam, from my point of view, saying "you had time to check, the trade was in person, and it was fair, etc etc" and wanting to keep the headphones, knowing the value of the objects. I trusted you when you said it was the Pro version, I didn't check for the blue or green led, or the kind of tubes, I simply checked the amp was OK and sounding. And as I wrote before, I like the sound of the amp.

You want to keep the headphones, even if it's not the pro version you advertised...fine by me. In that case enjoy your headphones and my feedback on the for sale forum.
As I told you by phone yesterday I'll send you the amp back by post today.

And that's my last post in this thread.

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
SE should have a bigger PSU then pro. 

harj, You May have noticed I never "Ragged" on the seller (You) in any of my post with massy! These things just happen when people are not sure or well informed of what they are buying or selling....You saw my post saying It's no big deal, just enjoy your new amp...This should be a lesson to everyone.......

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 31
I still have the problem of tubes though: if the amp is the standard version, why is it using the EC88 tunes?? And will that harm the amp?
On the other hand, if the amp is the PRO, why has it been used with wrong tubes?? 
But only the seller knows that...
So even if I'm happy with the sound I HAVE to know the version of the amp. Am I asking too much?? Is that the "harassment" described by the seller???

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 31
realmassy, The tubes you say you have are pretty much the same thing....They are both "Medium-Mu Twin Triode, a type of 6DJ8(Ecc88) the Ecc86(6GM8).....I'd use the Ecc88/6DJ8.........I just found some more info for you Big Daddy..Go to www.stereomojo.com/earmax they talk about all the different models of basically the same amp....I read the anniversary model uses one-12AT7 and two-6922 really about the same tube as the 6DJ8 tube... I hope this info helps. If I were you I'd read this and then just enjoy your new amp, "It's" really a nice little amp...Just forget about the Miss represented Deal you think you got.....If your Ear Max works fine just caulk this deal up to (I'll watch closer) next time...Forget about what happened and enjoy your amp....Life is to short to fret over the small crap that comes our way sometimes....I hope this will help...PS.. I just tried to click on the link above and it didn't open, so just go to google and type in [size=small]Earmax Headphone Amp Review[/size]  Yep, click on this link, this will take you to the article.....and read it you'll learn plenty.........

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #15 of 31
Cheers Duke, thanks for the link. I know the amp sounds well: even the old K240DFs I've used in the last two days sound excellent through it, I actually didn't know they had such good dynamics. So, no complain about the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back