EarMax Pro help needed
Oct 3, 2001 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hey, all.

Anyone know where I can get an EarMax pro for less than the $750 or whatever that one site which sells the US version wants?

Thanks.

- Mx

Oct 4, 2001 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 16
...one of those gangbuster-types, but doesn't this just *scream* "monopoly"? I mean, shouldn't there be some healthy competition, or is the EarMax a proprietary thing for this particular site?

Also, I definitely want a tube amp as my next amp. With that in mind, and the fact that I'd be using them with HD600s, is the EM Pro the best one to go with in the $750-ish or below range?

Best,
Matt

Oct 4, 2001 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 16
The MicroZOTL is also a popular tube amp in that price range. Search the archives to find some good info on it.

And I'd just like to add here that I love tube amps. Absolutely LOVE them. solid state? it's crap! tube amps are the only way to go. I don't know what possessed me to buy that McCormack. It's such a POS compared to even the lowliest tube amplifier. I'll probably end up lying to myself and defending solid state against tube, but rest assured it's just a farce. tubes are the beginning and the end; the alpha and the omega. Tubes are God.

Oct 4, 2001 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 16
I agree about healthy competition. If I remember right, the earmax is cheaper and I found varying prices on it(can't remember where) it's the pro that $750 and only $750
mad.gif

I wanted the pro because it has the power to drive cans like grados--i have rs-1. Regarding your question about the Senns--from what i have heard they are a match made in heaven with the pro, but i am still waiting the arrival of my senns from jan meier. 2 and half weeks now!
mad.gif
are packages moving slower by regular post on the mainland? or could the hold-up be because i'm in hawaii? Very frustrating

Oct 4, 2001 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 16
...yeah, I just e-mailed stone audio thinking I was a clever bitch, but they informed me that the power source wouldn't work in US outlets. Then they went ahead and referred me to that one US site which has 'em, and they contacted me looking to sell me it at $750.

I mean, can anyone answer me this: I don't mind paying that much for an amp. I would just like it to be, in tube terms, pretty fantastic for the price, in the same way that the RA-1 is pretty fantastic for the price in it's solid state terms.

Any imput?

- Matt

Oct 4, 2001 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 16
RA-1 good value? oh crap... :wink: sorry john grado!

Anyway, from here and headwize, anyone who has an earmax loves it. Get ready for a syrupy tubey sound.

Oct 4, 2001 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 16
You could use a step-up voltage converter, not one of the small travel thingies but a heavier unit, like the RadioShack 273-1411 which says "for semi-permanent installation, for commercial use" on its label. I have two of them (picked them up for cheap on Ebay), and they work very well, but I don't have an Earmax to try. They also don't convert the frequency, so you get 220V/60Hz output. I see no reason why this should not work fine with an Earmax but don't blame me if it doesn't.
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2001 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 16
...guy on audioreview say that he got his pro from a "private seller" for $500. Can I take this to mean he got it from a hooker?

wink.gif
Ok, bad joke.

Anyhow, I've searched eBay and such and I cannot find a thing, not even in the expired auctions listings. Poo. I guess the owner retention on these things is high, no?

Anyone wanna sell me theirs?

- Matt

Oct 4, 2001 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 16
Oct 4, 2001 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 16
AFAIK, the only two places in the US you can get the EarMax Pro is either from audioadvancement.com (i think they are the import), or from themegift.com. and neither has a good price.

we live in a society where we suckers are willing to pay for good at MSRP. and that's the way the vendors are setting their prices..
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back