Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #70,997 of 75,855
Well after that I reached out to him for his exact impressions. I know him for about two months now, and I trust his words. I have a work of him in my collection which I love. Here goes the conversation:
IMG_20230728_170849.jpg

Thanks to this, I am staying away from this. I hope this will help potential buyers too. Like @ian91 :wink:

For reference: Neptune cost me $150. Erebus cost me $175 (on the way).
Thanks for that, and thanks to your friend, it's very helpful! :beerchug:

I hope he did not think I meant to disparage his short comment. I just know that everyone is waiting for news on the P2, so I wanted to try to lighten the mood :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #70,998 of 75,855
Mirror post from the WC. I found an acrylic earbud display case from Muji to organize my earbuds.

TGX Ripples, Totem, Sunniva
Desolation Sound, Serratus

Right case: Sun Copper (On Loan), Asura 3.0 FE (on loan), Yinman 600 (on loan), Fiio FF3, Berseker 2, Val Lazybuds (on loan)

About the display stand: It is transparent and opens like a drawer from both sides. It seems to have enough space for earbuds and its respective thinner cables. Link to it
That looks amazing! And what an impressive connection too!

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #70,999 of 75,855
Out of interest, what are peoples Top 10 earbuds?

What matters to me, in order of priority:
1. Timbre
2. Preferred tuning: balanced with slight warmth, vocal-forward
3. Stage size
4. Resolution
5. Dynamics

Source: DX300 Amp12 (anything above 100ohm I tend to introduce the Defiant but it's not a hard and fast rule)

1. VE Asura Pure White Shining (Bell-Horn, 150ohm)
2. TGXear Alpha (MX500, 600ohm bery)
3. Blur OFC MX400 non-aPs Special Tuning Edition (MX500, 400ohm graphite)
4. Blur OFC MX64 aPs Special Tuning Edition (MX500, 64ohm, white glue variant)
5. VE Zen Shining Ultimate (Bell-Horn, 320ohm) - based on 'fun-factor' alone
6. TGXear Sunniva + tuning kit (MX500, 180ohm bery)
7. Blur OFC PK150 Wraith (PK, 150ohm)
8. FranQL Aquila (DP100, 85ohm bio)
9. Zen SL (custom PK, 320ohm)
10. VE Sun DICE (Bell-Horn 180ohm)

Honorable mention: Blur MX300 美魔女 Beautiful Witch aPs

The APWS is a bit of an oddity amongst this top 10. It's warmer and much smoother than the rest but how it does vocals is special enough to secure it pole position. Zen SU is also an oddity, with timbral flaws and a very smooth presentation. Weight, dynamics, size of the image and the warmer presentation makes it my go to for aggressive music.

List subject to change!
Nice list! Lots of amazing stuff there!

Here's mine: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...6nJ19ghZt3c9U0OnnOrs/edit?pli=1#gid=560597366

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #71,000 of 75,855
Thanks for that, and thanks to your friend, it's very helpful! :beerchug:

I hope he did not think I meant to disparage his short comment. I just know that everyone is waiting for news on the P2, so I wanted to try to lighten the mood :)
Oh he is not on head-fi, and I did not inform him :D.

By the way, he makes quite high quality buds as well, Highersound from South Korea. I am loving his Neptune, and waiting for the Erebus.

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #71,001 of 75,855

1. Timbre
3. Stage size
4. Resolution
5. Dynamics

Source: DX300 Amp12 (anything above 100ohm I tend to introduce the Defiant but it's not a hard and fast rule)

9. Zen SL (custom PK, 320ohm)

The APWS is a bit of an oddity amongst this top 10. It's warmer and much smoother than the rest but how it does vocals is special enough to secure it pole position. Zen SU is also an oddity, with timbral flaws and a very smooth presentation. Weight, dynamics, size of the image and the warmer presentation makes it my go to for aggressive music.

List subject to change!
Never heard of any earbuds in a list. Is it some rare boutique chi-fi selection?

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #71,005 of 75,855
Mirror post from the WC. I found an acrylic earbud display case from Muji to organize my earbuds.

TGX Ripples, Totem, Sunniva
Desolation Sound, Serratus

Right case: Sun Copper (On Loan), Asura 3.0 FE (on loan), Yinman 600 (on loan), Fiio FF3, Berseker 2, Val Lazybuds (on loan)

About the display stand: It is transparent and opens like a drawer from both sides. It seems to have enough space for earbuds and its respective thinner cables. Link to it
Fantastic looking! :)
I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

Looks fantastic!
I would never do it. Safety relies on obfuscation.
Also very true...
There is a review up on Facebook earbud group for the new Ucotech ES-P2. It's short, so I'll just quote it here.
Best review. Short and to the point. I sure hope he doesn't need throat lozenges after such a write-up?! :wink:
That looks 😎👍....just need to sort some small LED’s to light it at night 🔆
OOOH! That WOULD look great.
Let's not apply words that sound like harsh reality, hiding is one of those words, I prefer to "omit" "out of sheer oversight", something like: "this? I've had this for a long time...."
LOL This is exactly what I say as well. :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #71,006 of 75,855

1. Timbre
3. Stage size
4. Resolution
5. Dynamics

9. VE Zen SL (custom PK, 320ohm)

List subject to change!
Fantastic list! I will have to put mine together. I have posted it several times over the years, but since I have new ones, the list has changed a bit. :)
Don't know the specs for the Hugo.
You need:
For 89dB:
8.69VRMS
125.89mW
14.5mA
For 91dB:
6.90VRMS
79.43mW
11.5mA
It looks like you got the dBSPL backwards. For 91dB you would need more power, not less than at 89dB.

Also according to what I found the Hugo is capable of 12V.6A 7.2W Assuming that this is the max voltage, and that 7.2W is available at 32Ohms, we would provide (at 600Ohms):

• 12VRMS
  • 240mW
  • 20mA
And it actually looks like the numbers you have for 89dB are for 110dB.

The answer (on paper): YEP!

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #71,007 of 75,855
Recently joined the earbud party with the ff3. Really like them. Now I'm really interested in trying a higher end pair like something from TGXear. Any other brands I should check out?

Welcome to the best party! I didn't see a response to this, but I think a quick browse of the last few pages of the forums will give you most of the brands that are interesting these days. :beerchug:

1. Timbre
3. Stage size
4. Resolution
5. Dynamics

9. VE Zen SL (custom PK, 320ohm)

List subject to change!

I haven't tried any of these :frowning2: So I still have no idea what you like, even after you went to the trouble to make a list. I'm going to have to work harder and listen to more buds.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #71,008 of 75,855
Fantastic list! I will have to put mine together. I have posted it several times over the years, but since I have new ones, the list has changed a bit. :)

It looks like you got the dBSPL backwards. For 91dB you would need more power, not less than at 89dB.

Also according to what I found the Hugo is capable of 12V.6A 7.2W Assuming that this is the max voltage, and that 7.2W is available at 32Ohms, we would provide (at 600Ohms):

• 12VRMS
  • 240mW
  • 20mA
And it actually looks like the numbers you have for 89dB are for 110dB.

The answer (on paper): YEP!
You're a 🤩

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #71,009 of 75,855
absent for a couple of months as my account was hacked, I finally got it back.

I read the reebonz review (Thank you very much @Reebonz !) about Cypherus Audio Susvara Black Dragon.
Honestly the shared measurements seem to be what i have always been dreaming of. Looks almost to good to be true, Tho i am mostly into relaxed and dark signatures.

So i wonder if anybody else already got a chance to give them a listen?

EDIT: Found out my local dealer in germany has some new buds Ucotech Brillante ES2203. Couldnt find much about them here. anybody gave them a listen? they are quite cheap 119 EUR and i wonder if they at least might have the sounds quality of fiios offerings at that price.

Edit 2: Unpatient as i am, i just ordered the Ucotech ES2203 just for fun and will report, once i get them.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #71,010 of 75,855
Welcome to the best party! I didn't see a response to this, but I think a quick browse of the last few pages of the forums will give you most of the brands that are interesting these days. :beerchug:

I haven't tried any of these :frowning2: So I still have no idea what you like, even after you went to the trouble to make a list. I'm going to have to work harder and listen to more buds.

It's definitely not helpful unless you've heard one or two from the list and know their qualities vs my priority list. I like organic, balanced sets with good vocal & string instrument reproduction.

I was only really putting my list out there hoping others might share their own (thanks @drewbadour)! It's helpful to learn more about peoples preferences and recent discoveries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back