Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #70,891 of 75,771
FYI buds with MX500 shells are not made to be listened without foams, and foams are important to buds like tips are for IEM's. There are some exceptions from Venture Electronics that are made to be listened without foams. So when listening to X6 and other buds with MX500 shells, foams are a must.
I never knew that.

Tangential question: what about silicone rings? Could those substitute foam covers?

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #70,893 of 75,771
For me, silicone rings will give a very slight increase in bass over using nothing, but will help quite a bit to keep the earbuds in place. For the FF5s I wish I could find something that was a middle ground between silicone rings and foam donuts. I've been thinking about trying to get a silicone ring over the outside of a foam donut, but I haven't got around to seeing if it's possible yet.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #70,894 of 75,771
:
@ian91 have you heard the RW-3000s?

@fooltoque, what sort of music do you listen to? 300 USD is a healthy budget, and I'm tempted to rec something like TGXEar Sunniva (used; I think @itwasluck is selling his) or the upcoming Serratus V2. In any case, I think you should send TGXEar a message (on here as @tgx78, or on Instagram as @tgxear).

I haven't I'm afraid.

The Sunniva is definitely a warm bud (but not dark) with the stock tuning. With tuning foams in place it brightens closer neutral. It definitely gets my recommendation anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #70,895 of 75,771
I'm getting an itch for new buds. Actually I'm still in love with my rw-3000s, but sometimes I want something a bit warmer.

What I like best about the rw-3000s is the detail and texture in the low end, and the separation and imaging in the soundstage. With that said, can someone recommend something similar but warmer?
The RW-2000 is a warmer Version. If you want it even more warm, the yinman 600 is a good solution if you have the driving Power.

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #70,897 of 75,771
I'm getting an itch for new buds. Actually I'm still in love with my rw-3000s, but sometimes I want something a bit warmer.

What I like best about the rw-3000s is the detail and texture in the low end, and the separation and imaging in the soundstage. With that said, can someone recommend something similar but warmer?

Price wise, similar range to rw-3000 would be fine, so up to $300 or so. I think any kind of shell would be okay, so long as it's not weird like fiio em5. Those don't fit too well.
I would recommend Ucotech ES-P1, but may hard to find since Ucotech just launch ES-P2 this month. If you are not in hurry maybe worth waiting and try these.

meanwhile, change cable may help change sound character a bit, try copper cable with silver plated may make the buds warmer. IMHO.

Jul 23, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #70,898 of 75,771

Price wise, similar range to rw-3000 would be fine, so up to $300 or so. I think any kind of shell would be okay, so long as it's not weird like fiio em5. Those don't fit too well.
There are some pretty good suggestions here, but I also would have to go with the RW2000. These are still the same (overall) house sound, but are warmer, and a tad darker overall (not that the treble is veiled mind you). They are sort of the musical tuning of the RW3000 (IMO), where the RW3000 are more on the analytical side of things comparatively speaking.

The Yinmans are also a fantastic, warm, smooth set, but you need a lot to drive them correctly (to get the full and proper sound from these).

Also, if you haven't tried them, the FiiO FF3 are quite a bit warmer than the RW3000.
I never knew that.

Tangential question: what about silicone rings? Could those substitute foam covers?
Yep. Silicone rings can work well, but as mentioned, they do tend to add a tad bit of bass. The good news is that while they do add a smidge of bass, they don't take away the treble at all. For some they work great. For me, they don't grip quite enough for them to work well with my ears.
For me, silicone rings will give a very slight increase in bass over using nothing, but will help quite a bit to keep the earbuds in place. For the FF5s I wish I could find something that was a middle ground between silicone rings and foam donuts. I've been thinking about trying to get a silicone ring over the outside of a foam donut, but I haven't got around to seeing if it's possible yet.
It sure is possible. While the pictures here are using full foams, it is the same principle. :)
20210731_161149(1).jpg

20210731_160753.jpg

Or you could try a full silicone cover. For my ears, it tends to not affect the treble as much as full foams do.

20210802_115033.jpg

20210802_122515.jpg

20210802_122532.jpg

Jul 23, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #70,900 of 75,771
It sure is possible. While the pictures here are using full foams, it is the same principle. :)
I did manage to get them over the donuts... using some tweezers, and with some silicone breakage, and I can see that it would be a lot easier with full foams. Ultimately it was still too far toward the foam donut sound for me, even over low-density donuts from the VE Ex-pack, and I think I'll stick with just the large silicone rings.

Jul 23, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #70,901 of 75,771
@ian91 have you heard the RW-3000s?

@fooltoque, what sort of music do you listen to? 300 USD is a healthy budget, and I'm tempted to rec something like TGXEar Sunniva (used; I think @itwasluck is selling his) or the upcoming Serratus V2. In any case, I think you should send TGXEar a message (on here as @tgx78, or on Instagram as @tgxear).
Yes, the Sunnivas are for sale, I just don't use it as much and would rather someone else have it who will put it to good use. These days it's the isine20 (LCD-i4 soon) for me and when I want an earbud I usually use the Yinmans.

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #70,902 of 75,771
Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

The Sunniva is definitely a warm bud (but not dark) with the stock tuning. With tuning foams in place it brightens closer neutral. It definitely gets my recommendation anyway.

I'm really interested in TGXEar buds, and hadn't heard about the Sunniva yet. Warm with textured bass is what people are saying. Sounds just like what I'm looking for.

As for what I listen to, it is quite a variety. From anime songs to metal to funk to city pop to alt jazz. The RW-3000 has been a fantastic all rounder for these genres. For a new earbud, I would be happy if it sounded good with this track.

If you need a new warmer TOTL earbud I would recommend the Shozy BK balanced version or the Shozy BK SE.
I would recommend Ucotech ES-P1, but may hard to find since Ucotech just launch ES-P2 this month. If you are not in hurry maybe worth waiting and try these.

These were not on my radar, so I'm interested.

The RW-2000 is a warmer Version. If you want it even more warm, the yinman 600 is a good solution if you have the driving Power.
There are some pretty good suggestions here, but I also would have to go with the RW2000. These are still the same (overall) house sound, but are warmer, and a tad darker overall (not that the treble is veiled mind you). They are sort of the musical tuning of the RW3000 (IMO), where the RW3000 are more on the analytical side of things comparatively speaking.

The Yinmans are also a fantastic, warm, smooth set, but you need a lot to drive them correctly (to get the full and proper sound from these).

Also, if you haven't tried them, the FiiO FF3 are quite a bit warmer than the RW3000.

RW2000 sounds like the most reasonable suggestion. I've already heard them described as similar but warmer. How about detail though? Is it comparable?

Yinmans I absolutely want to try, but I don't have anything to power them as of yet. Also on the fence because at my desktop I'm usually happier with full size cans. Earbuds are used when I'm around the house, in bed, or outside. The driver of choice for portable situations is Qudelix 5k.

FF3s I have! But I don't use them because of the 'dirty sound' that apparently only I can hear :frowning2:

I've had some success taming down treble with FiiO "bass" foam covers. But I honestly didn't find RW-3000 bright at all with balanced tips.
Instruction on how to order FiiO foam

Hmmm... I use FiiO balanced tips on RW-3000. Maybe I should just try the bass foams...

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #70,903 of 75,771
s for what I listen to, it is quite a variety. From anime songs to metal to funk to city pop to alt jazz. The RW-3000 has been a fantastic all rounder for these genres
In my opinion, Sunniva cannot handle going from anime OST (j-pop/rock), to metal, to jazz. I'd definitely go Ripples if you want warm but versatile. Sunniva is more overt in quantity of bass and can overwhelm the other parts of the sound signature (IMO).

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #70,904 of 75,771
In my opinion, Sunniva cannot handle going from anime OST (j-pop/rock), to metal, to jazz. I'd definitely go Ripples if you want warm but versatile. Sunniva is more overt in quantity of bass and can overwhelm the other parts of the sound signature (IMO).
Thanks for that! That's something I was concerned about.

Jul 23, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #70,905 of 75,771
Thinking about the VE APWS, and the Cypherus Audio Black Dragon. Are there any comparisons between these two?

I love my audeze headphones, I have the LCD-XC, but I also love good buds and need a new pair. VE zen II were a touch on the warmer side for my liking if I remember correctly.

Are there other buds in this price range that compare as well?

Not sure if I need to list my musical tastes, as buds at this level/price should be able to give everything a pretty good go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back