Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #63,796 of 75,861
Looking for the best 30 dollarish earbuds I can find on aliexpress to help a friend with a YouTube video about deals from Chinese sellers. Ideally having controls on the wire.

Any recommendations?
I don't know any that have controls, but the NiceHCK EB2S sound really good (and have a lot of searchable reviews if you want to read more) for somewhere around $15-$25 and IIRC you can choose to have it w/mic as an option.

Edit: On AE they are here.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #63,797 of 75,861
I think the TRN EMAs are a good option and I like them more than my RY4S. The EMAs are built pretty nicely. I also recently got a pair copper shelled mmcx earbuds with an LCP driver from a store on AliExpress called NSC Audio DIY Store that are a little bit more expensive (I think $17) and they're a pretty good bud as well. And Openheart sells a pair of metal shelled mmcx buds for like $13 that are a solid choice as well.

Bottom line though, for a detachable cable option under $10 you'd be hard pressed to beat the EMAs, IMO.
I'll drink to that...cheers! :beerchug:

-Clear

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #63,799 of 75,861
I need some help. I'm using kbear stellar for 2 years now and i really like the sound signature but i want a upgrade that has detachable cable, right now im thinking of buying either the TRN EMA or the RY4S mmcx, do you have some recommendations in the same price range?
Tingo TG38 SA

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #63,801 of 75,861
Quick question, is it recommended to use the 4.4mm jack of the FF3?

Do you have any source with 4.4 balance output? If you do, yes. More power is good, unless FF3 is already too loud for you.

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #63,802 of 75,861
My understanding is that balanced connectors (like the 4.4mm) are always preferred for the reason that it cancels out the noise floor of the ground. Unbalanced (like the 3.5mm) will have the same noise floor as balanced in the ideal condition that there is no noise in the ground.

The other reason for balanced is that it can provide more power for hard to drive headphones, although I am not sure if the FF3 benefits from that or not. I expect it doesn't, but the folks that own it would know.

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #63,803 of 75,861
Just had a dream about the FF5, it had sleeker airpod-like structure hahaha! I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing 🤣
That's amazing XD.

Wait, are you actually a FiiO employee dropping leaks :O

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #63,804 of 75,861
That's amazing XD.

Wait, are you actually a FiiO employee dropping leaks :O
No man haha just a weird dream

Do you have any source with 4.4 balance output? If you do, yes. More power is good, unless FF3 is already too loud for you.

My understanding is that balanced connectors (like the 4.4mm) are always preferred for the reason that it cancels out the noise floor of the ground. Unbalanced (like the 3.5mm) will have the same noise floor as balanced in the ideal condition that there is no noise in the ground.

Thank you for your response guys, saved me a few bucks haha! I think my 3.5mm setup is still fine. I have a desktop DAC and a type c dongle DAC. Both I think has no noise as far as my untrained ears are telling me and provides enough power to drive the FF3 to and over my desired listening volumes.

Aug 25, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #63,805 of 75,861
Thank you for your response guys, saved me a few bucks haha! I think my 3.5mm setup is still fine. I have a desktop DAC and a type c dongle DAC. Both I think has no noise as far as my untrained ears are telling me and provides enough power to drive the FF3 to and over my desired listening volumes.
Yup, sounds like good money saved.

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #63,806 of 75,861

It's just to give people with balanced DACs/sources the option to used them balanced. That's all. Using the with the regular 3.5mm jack isn't going to be any different with a pair this easy to drive so you're not missing out on anything by running them with one jack versus the other.

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #63,807 of 75,861

The other reason for balanced is that it can provide more power for hard to drive headphones, although I am not sure if the FF3 benefits from that or not. I expect it doesn't, but the folks that own it would know.

This is generally true, but only for long cable runs that are likely to generate noise through interference over their length. A short headphone connection won't have any audible difference in noise floor so in this situation with the FF3s the 4.4mm jack is really just an offering for convenience of use with balanced sources so those with them can take advantage of other 4.4mm source properties like double the power, the use of dual or even quad DAC configurations which may offer some benefits depending on implementation, etc. This is what I have always been told by the pro audio and studio engineer guys I know and work with anyways.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #63,808 of 75,861
This is generally true, but only for long cable runs that are likely to generate noise through interference over their length. A short headphone connection won't have any audible difference in noise floor so in this situation with the FF3s the 4.4mm jack is really just an offering for convenience of use with balanced sources so those with them can take advantage of other 4.4mm source properties like double the power, the use of dual or even quad DAC configurations which may offer some benefits depending on implementation, etc. This is what I have always been told by the pro audio and studio engineer guys I know and work with anyways.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that my ears didn't notice any difference, but I did not realize that cable length made a difference.

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #63,809 of 75,861
Looking for the best 30 dollarish earbuds I can find on aliexpress to help a friend with a YouTube video about deals from Chinese sellers. Ideally having controls on the wire.

Any recommendations?
Depending on coupons, perhaps you can get the LBBs into the 30ish range.

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #63,810 of 75,861
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that my ears didn't notice any difference, but I did not realize that cable length made a difference.

No problemo! Apparently any electrical cable running over longer distances is exposed to more possible sources of interference and balanced cables are able to suppress the noise much better than single ended. That's how it has been explained to me when I asked years ago and it makes sense if you think about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back