Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #62,283 of 75,729
Wow, very nice guys, really help me. The best thing when I use BK is the smooth and warm sound. I've replaced the BK wire with a 30$ OOC Litz 7N bronze because the old one has been broken( I don't have any experience with that). After being replaced, my earbud became lesser clarity (bad thing :D). I'm happy with BK, and I want to know the result if I spend the extra budget. My favorite music genres are Pop Ballad, Acoustic, Rock Ballad, Adele genre :D, and sometimes EDM. I like the warm sound of BK, but I need more details and space (for example, when I listen to Hotel California). Sorry for my messy explanation.
You block the steam vent with the cable. Good things you have a solder iron. Now you need a multimeter 😉

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #62,285 of 75,729
FiiO designed a winner! The midrange is gold with these foams. I was surprised how dark they were with the “balanced” foams. Anyway, that’s my brief take on these. I’d put these above any M2s pro configuration and definitely the SMABAT ST20 pro. The LBBs isn’t really in these class and neither is the Vido, the X6, the cheaper FAAAEEEEEL buds… None of them. These will be in my ears for a long time to come. Bravo FiiO! Next time, pack a wider array of foams though. The DIY commercial buds I own are generally beaten by this as well.

So you are saying that I lucked out by choosing this FF3 as my first pair of earbuds? yay me :ksc75smile:

I have been playing with EQ a bit. It turns out all the tuning tricks that I learned from IEM translate to flat head directly. Dropping the ear-gain a touch and adding 16k peak (a.k.a., 64 Audio TIA treble style) opens up the sound even further. Interestingly, I don't want to do anything with the bass. It's perfect where it is. Flat, tight, yet impactful somehow. These FF3 are excellent for almost everything that I throw at it, even some meme songs like despacito.

Is there anywhere I can find material to learn how to DIY a pair of earphones? Never touch a soldering iron in my life, only write computer programs and research papers. However, I am eager to build an earphone that captures my target frequency response.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #62,286 of 75,729
So you are saying that I lucked out by choosing this FF3 as my first pair of earbuds? yay me :ksc75smile:

I have been playing with EQ a bit. It turns out all the tuning tricks that I learned from IEM translate to flat head directly. Dropping the ear-gain a touch and adding 16k peak (a.k.a., 64 Audio TIA treble style) opens up the sound even further. Interestingly, I don't want to do anything with the bass. It's perfect where it is. Flat, tight, yet impactful somehow. These FF3 are excellent for almost everything that I throw at it, even some meme songs like despacito.

Is there anywhere I can find material to learn how to DIY a pair of earphones? Never touch a soldering iron in my life, only write computer programs and research papers. However, I am eager to build an earphone that captures my target frequency response.
You did get very lucky or you had good insight based on where that company has been heading as of late. If they would only bring back my beloved e12 Monte Blanc, I’d have no qualms with them. In fact, pairing the ff3 with the MB is surely the bee‘s knees. If you use the foams I recommend, you can maybe dispense with the EQ…. You’ll get more 16kHz (air) and that may restore balance with the pinna gain for you. If you then pair it with the e12 MB, you’ll probably just sell all your other gear (j/k).

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #62,287 of 75,729

Here you go:

DIY Earbuds guide

The Cat Listens Driver Repository

Head-Fi's "DIY Earbuds" Thread

DIY Workroom Group (there is a cool group of DIY earbud custom makers & modders but for the life of me I can't find the link to it for you sorry... my DIY days are over... I believe @Setmagic is the de facto spokesperson for the group)

Good luck. Remain patient. And let us know how you progress over on the DIY Earbuds thread. Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #62,288 of 75,729
You block the steam vent with the cable. Good things you have a solder iron. Now you need a multimeter 😉
👆Very common mistake when re-cabling this will definitely muffle a PK type shelled earbud.

Wow, very nice guys, really help me. The best thing when I use BK is the smooth and warm sound. I've replaced the BK wire with a 30$ OOC Litz 7N bronze because the old one has been broken( I don't have any experience with that). After being replaced, my earbud became lesser clarity (bad thing :D). I'm happy with BK, and I want to know the result if I spend the extra budget. My favorite music genres are Pop Ballad, Acoustic, Rock Ballad, Adele genre :D, and sometimes EDM. I like the warm sound of BK, but I need more details and space (for example, when I listen to Hotel California). Sorry for my messy explanation.
Well that is a first! I have never heard of a cable failure on a Shozy BK but I guess it was bound to happen since they are aging now. Very curious to know where the cable failed... at the jack, shell stem, or the driver?

Sounds like your model is one of the older ones, correct? Do you recall what color your cable was before replacing it? The 2016 original version came with a brown cable and then Shozy changed to a dark grey colored cable in 2017/8 after they ran out of brown cabling. The 2021 reissue is again using a brown cable.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #62,289 of 75,729
You did get very lucky or you had good insight based on where that company has been heading as of late

I remember reading from somewhere that Fiio already expected not being able to sell these earbuds well, but still launched the project because their founder is an earbuds fan himself. Perhaps that’s why it’s decent.

Here you go:

DIY Earbuds guide

The Cat Listens Driver Repository

Head-Fi's "DIY Earbuds" Thread

DIY Workroom Group (there is a cool group of DIY earbud custom makers & modders but for the life of me I can't find the link to it for you sorry... my DIY days are over... I believe @Setmagic is the de facto spokesperson for the group)

Good luck. Remain patient. And let us know how you progress over on the DIY Earbuds thread. Cheers.

Thanks a lot for the materials. I need to save them somewhere safe for reference.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #62,290 of 75,729
You did get very lucky or you had good insight based on where that company has been heading as of late. If they would only bring back my beloved e12 Monte Blanc, I’d have no qualms with them. In fact, pairing the ff3 with the MB is surely the bee‘s knees. If you use the foams I recommend, you can maybe dispense with the EQ…. You’ll get more 16kHz (air) and that may restore balance with the pinna gain for you. If you then pair it with the e12 MB, you’ll probably just sell all your other gear (j/k).
Indeed the FiiO E12 Monte Blanc, E11K (A3) Kilimanjaro 2, and E17K Alpen 2 were all simply divine devices. So thankful that old Head-Fi'er @Brooko convinced me to give them a whirl.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #62,291 of 75,729
Indeed the FiiO E12 Monte Blanc, E11K (A3) Kilimanjaro 2, and E17K Alpen 2 were all simply divine devices. So thankful that old Head-Fi'er @Brooko convinced me to give them a whirl.
I still have my E17 (Alpen), E17K (Alpen 2), OG X5, and X3II. They are all still in (quite good) working order. I actually liked the Alpen better than the Alpen II, but they had to release the Alpen II to better accommodate their own (newly released) DAPs IMO. But at the time I loved them all (alot). I had found something that was TOTL to my ears without spending TOTL dollars on something like A&K.

The Alpen was made more to go with the iPods of the day, which had all of their connectors on the bottom (so, then does the Alpen), whereas their own DAPs had the connectors on the top of the devices (so, then does the Alpen II).

However, the DAC in the Alpen was much better than with the Alpen II IMHO. Controls were a little more user friendly, and there wasn't a "wheel" for volume, but buttons which I found more reassuring where longevity was concerned.

On the other hand, the Alpen II was flatter, but taller and wider, which made it fit better with larger devices (as a stack).

I don't use them much anymore because even my lower quality DAP has more output power than either Alpen (better amp section @1.2W), and their signature isn't profound enough in the difference in sound to justify carrying around a stack again (or at least in a better way).

20220801_012653.jpg

So sorry to get so far off topic, just thought I would (also) share a bit of my walk down memory lane. :)

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #62,292 of 75,729

It's time to order FF3.

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #62,293 of 75,729
Aug 1, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #62,294 of 75,729
Did anyone purchase or own the TRN EMA? They sound surprisingly good!
I could actually hear clear sub-bass notes while the midrange and treble are upfront clear and smooth and not at all harsh or sibilant, which is often the case with many earbuds. Personally, this is a rare and happy find for me. They are very light and comfortable and no need for the sponges (IMHO) for their size and WOW can they take power!
Sorry, I can't send you my personal PIC's since I am away for a week on vacation, but below are some PIC's from Aliexpress...
TRM EMA.jpgTRM EMA 2.jpg

-Clear

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #62,295 of 75,729
Could anyone review Dragon 3 Plus please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back