Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #44,116 of 75,722
My initial experience with the EB2 when I got it during the Nicehck Lucky Bag was not good. It sounded awful, very unbalance with muddy SQ. The slightest movement of the buds while listening changes the audio. Did some phase test and it was in phase. After burn-in it improved ever so slightly. Gave up and in the drawer it went. Did not want go through the hassle of returning it.

Decided to give it another go today and it’s still as I remembered it. So, I opened the drivers up to check and I noticed part of the tuning foam was out of place and covering the driver. Ratified it and voila the EB2 suddenly came alive. Could not put it down. I prefer it more to the ME80. Look like I’ll be getting the big brother EBX.

I remember my EB2 has the same issue, had to open it and replace correctly the tuning cottons inside the shells. But the drivers used are very average sound quality, if you replace them with better 14.8mm ones, they will sound much better.
I finally gave up and dismantled my EB2 just to keep the cable and metal shells that I did not used for any DIY project yet :D

Aug 20, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #44,117 of 75,722
Ok, cool! I might have mixed up the ST10 with other buds I've been reading about. There are so many earbuds talked about on this thread, that I'm finding myself getting overwhelmed. Got an RY4S PLUS coming, so I'm eager to try it out. I haven't used earbuds in at least 20 years, so I'm trying to catch up a bit. Recently started getting into iems in a big way though. When it comes to buds, I'm mostly interested in sets that have a removable cable, and allow for the cable to be worn over ear. I know the RY4S PLUS isn't over ear, but it does have a removable cable. If I like it enough, I might try the ST10.
The ry4s is a very good earbud, for the price it sound surprisingly clean and balanced.

Aug 20, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #44,118 of 75,722
I remember my EB2 has the same issue, had to open it and replace correctly the tuning cottons inside the shells. But the drivers used are very average sound quality, if you replace them with better 14.8mm ones, they will sound much better.
I finally gave up and dismantled my EB2 just to keep the cable and metal shells that I did not used for any DIY project yet :D

Haha....the thought of salvaging the EB2 for parts did cross my mind many times. But after fixing it, its a keeper for me. I'm sucker for Mids. It's amazing for vocal and acoustic tracks.

Aug 20, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #44,119 of 75,722
Haha....the thought of salvaging the EB2 for parts did cross my mind many times. But after fixing it, its a keeper for me. I'm sucker for Mids. It's amazing for vocal and acoustic tracks.

Does it take much to open up the EB2? Are they glued together?

EDIT: Seems like my pair are tightly glued together... I was curious to see what you guys are talking about and if I have the same issues.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #44,120 of 75,722
Does it take much to open up the EB2? Are they glued together?
Yes, it's glued.
Just heat up the edges around the drivers cover to soften the glue with hairdryer or heatgun. Keep moving around the edges. Then slowly pry the edges of the drivers cover with a your fingernails or something similar. You will noticed it slowly coming off. Careful as not to tug too hard. The wires connecting to the drivers are quite short. The key here is patience.

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #44,121 of 75,722
Yes, it's glued.
Just heat up the edges around the drivers cover to soften the glue with hairdryer or heatgun. Keep moving around the edges. Then slowly pry the edges of the drivers cover with a your fingernails or something similar. You will noticed it slowly coming off. Careful as not to tug too hard. The wires connecting to the drivers are quite short. The key here is patience.

Will probably try that out tomorrow... They sound pretty decent with donut foams as of now... :D

Aug 20, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #44,122 of 75,722
My initial experience with the EB2 when I got it during the Nicehck Lucky Bag was not good. It sounded awful, very unbalance with muddy SQ. The slightest movement of the buds while listening changes the audio. Did some phase test and it was in phase. After burn-in it improved ever so slightly. Gave up and in the drawer it went. Did not want go through the hassle of returning it.

Decided to give it another go today and it’s still as I remembered it. So, I opened the drivers up to check and I noticed part of the tuning foam was out of place and covering the driver. Ratified it and voila the EB2 suddenly came alive. Could not put it down. I prefer it more to the ME80. Look like I’ll be getting the big brother EBX.

I didn't really care for the EB2 for the exact reasons you listed but now I wonder if the same thing might have been the case with my pair.

Aug 20, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #44,124 of 75,722
Initial impressions please? :D

I'm also considering between this and the PK3 since they can be had for reasonable price theses days

I wasn't sure what to expect. Has more bass than I thought it would, with no bleed. Seems a bit forward and maybe a hair bright (for me).

But I had been listening to my ACG's for a couple hours before trying them.

Once I finish burning in the 2 pairs of MH755's that arrived this weekend, I'll burn these in and see how it sounds.

Just to mention, these sound nothing like the Leagginal diy 16ohm pk shell earbuds (1 hole shell, no tuning foam on hole) that I had previously. I gave those away, as they didn't sound all that good to me and lacked extension on the highs and bass on the low end (I'm not a basshead either).

I have not tried the other DIY pk2 that many recommend. Anyone with these mind providing a picture of the driver?

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #44,126 of 75,722
Donut foams. Seals outside for bass but open in the middle for clarity.
This is a dumb question, but where does everyone recommend getting donuts from? I've ordered 10+ pairs of buds on AE, but all have come with only full foams. I also ordered a sub-$1 bag of spare foams that turned out to be incredibly low quality (consistently ripping when putting on), so I'd like to avoid repeating that.

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #44,127 of 75,722
Okay I'll get some and give it a shot, thank you. If it's still underwhelming though, is there anything I could get at higher range?

Higher range? Do you mean other earbuds?

ST-10 is a good recommendation. If you weren't into bass so much, EBX is a good one.

This is a dumb question, but where does everyone recommend getting donuts from? I've ordered 10+ pairs of buds on AE, but all have come with only full foams. I also ordered a sub-$1 bag of spare foams that turned out to be incredibly low quality (consistently ripping when putting on), so I'd like to avoid repeating that.

Aliexpress.

Same sellers found in the links here will have donut style as well:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2776#post-14912001

I use a punch to make my own custom ones from full foams.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2737#post-14866691

Aug 20, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #44,128 of 75,722
If your NiceHCK DIY PK2 is version 1 or version 2 (it uses Docomo driver), I think you may not need to purchase DIY SR2 16 ohm.
If other version, purchase a DIY SR2 16 ohm and do a 100-hour Burn-in. You will be able to enjoy a wide sound stage and straightening Bass and Treble.

I have this one (bought in April 2017): https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-diy-pk2.22394/reviews

I don't know what version it is, but should have Docomo driver.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #44,129 of 75,722

Users who are viewing this thread

Back