Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #18,751 of 75,852

Ah, OK.

I guess the only earbuds of mine that I consider to be light in the Bass, would be the MusicMaker TKY2 (which is very comfortable to wear (over-the-ear), and has clear, detailed Midrange & Treble), and the 1More Piston (EO303) (with Bass that sounds OK, but not great).

Have you ever modded a TKY2?

The Blox is definitely similar to a Musicmaker sound signature. I also would consider it vastly more refined than any Musicmaker i've heard.

I don't like Musicmaker stuff or I might consider modding it further (I've owned 2 of their IEMs and 3 of their earbuds, gave away or sold all of them)

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #18,752 of 75,852
The LZ A4 has sublime bass and subbass i dont think (from my budget selection) an earbud can replicate.. other than that the treble is very clear and not muddied by the powerful bass. The monk+ sounds very veiled compared to the A4 IMO.. From my current buds i would say the A4 sounds a bit like the e808+ signature.. But with clean powerful bass and clarity all over.. (i use the red bass and blue treble filter)
hmm I wonder if BA or hybrid can sound like my ty 320. At least Not yet from my previous audition. I'm recalling from memories though. My e80 can reach very very low but slow, and xe800 is better in terms Of bass quality. My ideal mid bass is monk+ though I concur about mid being slightly veiled. Ty 320 bass is speaker like. Nothing in my collection can touch that. I'm gonna miss this year. Singapore can jam because of time constraints. Too bad now that I have clear definition of my kind of bass to compare with latest offer.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #18,753 of 75,852
I have the TKY2 by Musicmaker and it's not very good. There's nothing I can do to the outside of it to make it sound very good to my ears. I've been tempted to try to open it up just to see if what they claim is on the inside is actually in there since it is such an underperformer (especially for the price range). Looking at it, I can't figure out how to disassemble it even if I wanted to. I can't figure out how it's put together.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #18,754 of 75,852
  Thin and nearly no bass at all. I need to do extreme bass boosting just to hear a hint of sub bass. It can sound like AM radio until you acclimate to the sound (few seconds in my case) and it then has great treble extension and above average detailing in the mids and treble, but still virtually no bass reach. It is a nicer variation on the Ucotech sound, or most any other high mids/treble oriented bud i've heard.

I only know B200 sound 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up/10485#post_12883184
but from your description B160/B320 may have similar Blox house sound as B200. In B200 the sound of musical instruments is very untrue and for me B200 was only good for electronic genres where correct reproduction is not that important. What are differences between B160 and B320 anyway?

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #18,755 of 75,852

Thin and nearly no bass at all. I need to do extreme bass boosting just to hear a hint of sub bass. It can sound like AM radio until you acclimate to the sound (few seconds in my case) and it then has great treble extension and above average detailing in the mids and treble, but still virtually no bass reach. It is a nicer variation on the Ucotech sound, or most any other high mids/treble oriented bud i've heard.

I only know B200 sound 
but from your description B160/B320 may have similar Blox house sound as B200. In B200 the sound of musical instruments is very untrue and for me B200 was only good for electronic genres where correct reproduction is not that important. What are differences between B160 and B320 anyway?

There's the difference in impedance - 160Ohm vs. 320Ohm, and the color - white (B320) vs. black (B160) shells. I'm not sure about the plug, cable, and most importantly how they sound.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #18,757 of 75,852
I have the TKY2 by Musicmaker and it's not very good. There's nothing I can do to the outside of it to make it sound very good to my ears. I've been tempted to try to open it up just to see if what they claim is on the inside is actually in there since it is such an underperformer (especially for the price range). Looking at it, I can't figure out how to disassemble it even if I wanted to. I can't figure out how it's put together.

They've got to be either screwed or glued together, at the Red/Blue colored bands.

Since the wire enters into the back section, and it's possible the driver is attached to the front section - a certain amount of care will be required to separate the sections, without pulling / damaging the solder connections on the drivers.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #18,758 of 75,852

They've got to be either screwed or glued together, at the Red/Blue colored bands.

Since the wire enters into the back section, and it's possible the driver is attached to the front section - a certain amount of care will be required to separate the sections, without pulling / damaging the solder connections on the drivers.

Yup, glue it is. A little time with a heat gun will let you pop em open. There is a lot of glue involved, so they just kind of come apart.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #18,759 of 75,852
  I only know B200 sound 

I'm awaiting @Townyj to post more, he's the first person here AFAIK to own both models. His b160 is in transit currently.

Glad we all know each other's earbud stashes so well 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #18,760 of 75,852
  Yup, glue it is. A little time with a heat gun will let you pop em open. There is a lot of glue involved, so they just kind of come apart.

I see one small, dampened port on each housing (plus the opening for the wire...).

Wondering what sort of experimentation I could do with - sealing the hole; adding more holes; adding, removing, or changing dampening material; etc. - and whether that would make much difference in Bass quantity?

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #18,761 of 75,852

I see one small, dampened port on each housing (plus the opening for the wire...).

Wondering what sort of experimentation I could do with - sealing the hole; adding more holes; adding, removing, or changing dampening material; etc. - and whether that would make much difference in Bass quantity?

If you're going to get to doing that much different modding, you will certainly get a sense of how the same mods affect different drivers, shell formats, etc etc etc.

Anything you listed would change the overall sound considerably. There are a few ways to ensure you maximize bass output, the most important being recognizing whether you want the speaker to be ported or enclosed...

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #18,762 of 75,852
I never heard nothing as par of well burnt Yuin OK2. Outstanding soundstage, instruments separation, details and sound immersion.

Anyone with experience on OK2 can advice other phones similiares or better.

And any online site selling Yuin actually? i cannot find any, looks like Yuin company died, is true?

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #18,763 of 75,852
And any online site selling Yuin actually? i cannot find any, looks like Yuin company died, is true?

You can find Yuin through Amazon, and I've seen them at Penon Audio as well. I'm sure there are other places, such as Aliexpress, etc.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #18,764 of 75,852
I never heard nothing as par of well burnt Yuin OK2. Outstanding soundstage, instruments separation, details and sound immersion.

How many other buds have you tried? To be honest , I;ve never heard the Ok2s, but from my understanding they don't differ signifigantly from Pk series, which I am very familiar with and there might be better choices in 2017 for the same or signifigantly lower price point. Just a thought.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #18,765 of 75,852

Take a look at the list, it should give an idea. I quickly skimmed through it and I couldn't find the OK2 but, you can compare it to another bud you have heard and then compare it to something on the list.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wGTZnKX1aP29c1bzs5JWgqSUlPzZqV9p_cw79VfRBpQ/pub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back