Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #17,389 of 75,755
  When I get new earbuds I do a "gaming test" with them, I play some counter strike on the PC where channel separation is VERY distinct and important for directional spacing. I find over 3/4 of the buds I try sadly make hardly any distinction between sound coming from the left only or sound from the right only. My PT15 which i did not think were faulty were no good for gaming in terms of channel separation.

The only ones I know which are good enough at spacial direction and channel separation to be reliable at this sort of this thing in both gaming and videos such as yours.... Cygnus, Boarseman mx98s, seahf 32 if you can stand that sort of piercing treble in game (I could not).

Works OK with both TY Hi-Z 32s & stock E808+. I think E808+ was a bit more precise. IMO, the sound test around 7minutes (Ascari) was the most telling indicator. As the approaching & departing vehicles did not make use of the maximum left-right stereo width, so the earphones needed to have quite precise spatial placement to get it right.

I was listening to my PT15 and something didn't convince me... First impression was good, with a nicely airy sound, but after listening more and more I felt like the "3D imaging" has something wrong compared to any other headphone I own. So I tried the Audiocheck Binaural Test with all my buds and the result is that PT15 is the absolute loser! All my other earbuds sounded quite realistic (Auglamour RX1 clear winner, really impressive!), but with the **** I hear less distance and less defined sound location.

So a tried with a binaural recording on Youtube that I like to use for this kind of testings:

With all my other 'buds, at about 0:43, I can clearly hear the car on straight on the left going forward and reaching the Parabolica (a big right turn). It's like I can clearly understand at what distance is the car from me. With the PT15, this is not possibile: I feel that the car stay closer, and the "going forward" effect is almost inaudible...

At this point, I think there are two options:

1. **** PT15 has fake "3D effect".
  2. My pair is faulty.

I would be happy if some of you can do the same tests, comparing PT15 with some other earbuds, to know what's the truth. I didn't used particularly technical terms as I'm not an expert, but I hope you understand what I mean
biggrin.gif

I gotten my PT15, and I thought they works quite well, though fit can be an issue. I will need to reposition them every now and then. Once there is a proper fit, mids come through quite nicely (though not as prominent compared to my RX1) and bass, while lacking a little, is sufficient enough. I don't experience any of the fake 3D effect though.

Has anyone tried switching out the cable? Does it scale well with other cables?

will do later

Thank you all.

I want to clarify that I use earbuds for something like 95% music, 4% movies and 1% other, and I'm not a gamer. I've pointed out all that just to understand if my PT15 are defective (but now I think they are not), as I feel that its not precise separation has a negative effect also in simple stereo music. I'm not searching for a new earbud with gaming or binaural audio purpose, but I appreciate your advice
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #17,390 of 75,755

I want to clarify that I use earbuds for something like 95% music, 4% movies and 1% other, and I'm not a gamer. I've pointed out all that just to understand if my PT15 are defective (but now I think they are not), as I feel that its not precise separation has a negative effect also in simple stereo music. I'm not searching for a new earbud with gaming or binaural audio purpose, but I appreciate your advice
wink.gif

Hey, if you have a more objective test for the Pt15's I'd be happy to try. I tried with that binaural test , compared it to some other buds, didn't notice any glaring deficiencies.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #17,392 of 75,755
is that copper litz? i love to use those rhodium connectors too :D  

i would like to hear those. i have heard no bud with better bass & eq-ability than my qian-mod :basshead:

For basshead this buds might be quite nice for you.
Almost right, indeed it's a litz, to be precise hybrid silver copper occ litz, you could see a beautiful hybrid lines there.

White Dietris Lv1. Have your own Dietris arrived Joel?

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #17,393 of 75,755
wink.gif

I think PT15 doesn't work well in this test because engine noises are mostly lower frequency sounds. And that's PT15's Achilles heel. With reduced bass dynamic range in PT15; the engine sound levels will not have a big difference when the vehicle is near as compared to when it's far away.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #17,394 of 75,755
  Thanks. Do they deliver faster than AliExpress? AliExpress takes around 40 days to deliver the earbud. I mean you order and forget it and they will arrive some day. 

I placed an order with Penon Audio on 05-DEC-16, selected the DHL shipping option, and 5 days later, my earphones were delivered to my Dad's house in Mississippi.  That's faster than the US Post Office delivers regular mail between Houston, TX, and my Dad's house... 
wink_face.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #17,395 of 75,755

I think PT15 doesn't work well in this test because engine noises are mostly lower frequency sounds. And that's PT15's Achilles heel. With reduced bass dynamic range in PT15; the engine sound levels will not have a big difference when the vehicle is near as compared to when it's far away.

I've already used EQ to avoid what you said and to make the comparison fairer, but I confirm my thoughts.

P.S. PT15 responds really well to bass EQ

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #17,396 of 75,755

wink.gif

That would make sense. I don't understand how an earbud can have bad separation. There's nothing too complicated in a single DD earbud. Is it believed that sound bleeds between channels?

There was a question on PT15 fit recently - the PT15's falling out when walking outside. I used the large eartips that came with my TY HP650 (bonus from Penon) and they work reasonably well with the PT15. They do block the speaker grill slightly on the outer diameter.  The good news is they stay on my ears. I could go on a trampoline and I doubt they'd fall out. I chose the large ones - not sure how comfortable they will be for long periods. After an hour or so - not so good. The rubber on the earbud has constant pressure. I'll try the smaller ones next. I didn't try the hooks with the Monk ex-pack. Those may work too.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #17,397 of 75,755
  Hey, if you have a more objective test for the Pt15's I'd be happy to try. I tried with that binaural test , compared it to some other buds, didn't notice any glaring deficiencies.

Mmmh, there's also this video where I think **** lose compared to my other 'buds. I hear the difference especially with the song at 1:41:

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #17,398 of 75,755
Some info on binaural recording. It never took off commercially. I've always considered it to be a gimmick. But I suppose it can be good for testing purposes. 

http://blog.hookeaudio.com/hooke-blog1/2015/10/20/the-artists-that-created-with-binaural-audio

I'll continue to use the tests that listed in my signature. Here it is if you read the forum using a smart phone:

http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #17,400 of 75,755
  It takes soo long to get phones with Aliexpress (2 months) that I wish I used Penon Audio, does anyone else feel the same?

Delivery lead-time: *North America: 7-14 days

I live in the US - North East.  Ali orders take 3 weeks or so. I have no problem waiting. Penon and VE Clan (Monk) approximately 10 days, total time. The only time that I had problems with Ali was when the seller claimed they shipped but merely created the shipping info and sat on it for weeks before actually dispatching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back