Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #541 of 75,855
  Great that you like the AP8, goldenSHK! I will comment more on your impressions when I have more time.

I have sent a message to Dasetn on Ebay complimenting on his earbuds and suggested that he branch out. He replied:
"Yes, I can sell to you! Can you help me to sell to your country, I am building a company! Next year I will to customize headphone like ue and westone... If you are interested, please tell me, thank you sincerely! Waiting for your reply"

Now, I cannot help much except buying his stuff, but I replied that I will spread this on Head-fi and then perhaps someone can come with suggestions. I wrote that I hoped that he will focus in earbuds since he easily can compete with other Chinese makers such as Hisoundaudio and Yuin and the earbud market is small. But of course he would probably want to expand into the IEM market as well...

If he would try to make an audio company, I suppose that he would have to stop using stuff from Audio Technica and other makers since that could get him into trouble. He could still use generic Sennheiser MX400 style housing as Blox does.
Anyway, there's big talent there that I hope don't go to waste.

I sent a message on eBay to Dasetn asking him when his MX1 earbuds will be back in stock. I doubt any time soon, but one can hope. I honestly think he would be better off if he just focused on earbuds and didn't spread his limited resources too thin. His only earbud that I have is pretty decent and can't wait to compare it to the ANV3se soon. I would love to buy his MX1 for $15. I think if he focused on his niche, he would make enough money and start a good following after enough people hear about these buds. Trying to compete with Westone and all the other CIEM companies seems like David taking on Goliath. Why not just partner up with Blox or just learn from them and find European and American distributors for the buds? He could sell these like hotcakes if they take off. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #542 of 75,855
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a solid sounding earbud with a mic for phone calls ?

I use pk2's for everything these days, and just find the earbud style to be the most comfortable....cannot get iem's to fit comfortably.
I have seen a few dead links to ebay pages that had modified pk2's with a mic cable, or at least that was said to be true, never saw an actual alive link.

When trying to search for actual earbuds with mic on ebay or amazon or wherever, it is very challenging because most people do not differentiate between iem's and earbuds. The searching I have done on head-fi is either really old and unavailable stuff or just leads nowhere.

Anyways, if anyone has a recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to lose my mind a little bit searching for these.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #543 of 75,855
  Does anyone have a good recommendation for a solid sounding earbud with a mic for phone calls ?

I use pk2's for everything these days, and just find the earbud style to be the most comfortable....cannot get iem's to fit comfortably.
I have seen a few dead links to ebay pages that had modified pk2's with a mic cable, or at least that was said to be true, never saw an actual alive link.

When trying to search for actual earbuds with mic on ebay or amazon or wherever, it is very challenging because most people do not differentiate between iem's and earbuds. The searching I have done on head-fi is either really old and unavailable stuff or just leads nowhere.

Anyways, if anyone has a recommendation, it would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to lose my mind a little bit searching for these.

Apple Earpods

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #545 of 75,855
Before I found this thread, I paid full "Buy it now" price for the Yuin PK3 DIY (From eBay seller: joco70901).

Personally, I REALLY like them a lot. I think they are wonderful for watching Movies and TV Shows. Soundstage and detail are great.

Also, never thought I would be into earbuds, but they are SUPER comfortable.

I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend try them. They are now hers. She loves how they sound and that she can have them in her ears while she lays down on her pillow while we watch TV. (We have to use earbuds so we do not wake up her 9 year old daughter).

So, after giving the PK3 DIY to my girl, I needed to get another pair. This time I bid on the PK2 DIY and got them for $10.57 USD and free shipping!

They are currently on the way accross the ocean, I will have to wait a few weeks to try them out, but will post my thoughts then.

Also looking to get a pair of the Dasetn AP8. I just got out bid, I will keep trying until I can get a pair for a good price.

Feb 14, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #547 of 75,855
Before I found this thread, I paid full "Buy it now" price for the Yuin PK3 DIY (From eBay seller: joco70901).

Personally, I REALLY like them a lot. I think they are wonderful for watching Movies and TV Shows. Soundstage and detail are great.

Also, never thought I would be into earbuds, but they are SUPER comfortable.

I made the mistake of letting my girlfriend try them. They are now hers. She loves how they sound and that she can have them in her ears while she lays down on her pillow while we watch TV. (We have to use earbuds so we do not wake up her 9 year old daughter).

So, after giving the PK3 DIY to my girl, I needed to get another pair. This time I bid on the PK2 DIY and got them for $10.57 USD and free shipping!

They are currently on the way accross the ocean, I will have to wait a few weeks to try them out, but will post my thoughts then.

Also looking to get a pair of the Dasetn AP8. I just got out bid, I will keep trying until I can get a pair for a good price.

I got a pair of the AP8 and they haven't gotten much love...I battled with fit, and the sound wasn't quite what I like...drop me a PM if you want a pair for the cost of shipping :)

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #550 of 75,855
I got a pair of the AP8 and they haven't gotten much love...I battled with fit, and the sound wasn't quite what I like...drop me a PM if you want a pair for the cost of shipping
smily_headphones1.gif

I enjoy the AP8 even loosely fit. It gives up some bass for a more airy soundstage. Although some songs I prefer the fit to be different for that extra bass, do you not enjoy their sound signature or do you mean fit in terms of pain and discomfort? 

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #551 of 75,855
I have some funky ears I think...the left stayed in fine, with or without foamies...the right just wouldn't. It kept feeling like it would fall out...

Feb 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #552 of 75,855
nice and very informative review on page 1 and thread in general - thanks a lot for the effort!

only recently and after an extensive and expensive search for the perfect earphones I found out by accident, that I enjoy earbuds the most, more than IEMs and even my big headphones.
This is mainly due to the easy fit and open sound of the buds which leads to a nice and natural soundstage. Being light and comfortable and having no seal, it is also easy to forget about them in your ears and they sound more like speakers than any other form of ear/head-phones IMO.

Unfortunately, I found this out only recently and after spending a large amount of cash on headphones and IEMs.

When I cleaned up my basement 2 months ago I found my old Sony e888 earbuds in a little box with my Sony MD Player which I packed away when we moved 10 years ago. They were like new and practically unused when I packed them away and now that I found them again they are vintage, haha.

I bought those e888 around the year 2000 and totally forgot about them. However this old gems IMO still deliver!

I searched up this thread as I wanted to read how these oldie-buds keep up to recent technology and was surprised to see them being rated far worse compared to other earbuds (last one of the „good“ ones). I don’t intend to disagree and totally respect the reviewers effort and opinion as I haven’t heard the other earbuds mentioned in the round-up (except the Sennheiser mx985).

However, I had the great opportunity to try some well regarded IEMs, thanks to a very generous friend and fellow head-fier (james, if you ever happen to read this, thanks a LOT!)

Many of those IEMs were great and some of them really amazed me (like the AKG 3003, jvc fx700, ie800, sony ex1000 and others), but the Sony e888 still have the most natural sound IMO. It's not the best, the others are technically much better, but the e888 sounds IMO more natural (maybe its a coloration, I don't know). Maybe because of the earbud design that just suits me better but also the bio-cellulose driver of the e888 sounds very clean and effortless for a dynamic one. It sounds similar to Vsonic Gr07 mk2 but without the subbass due to earbud design, but with better soundstage and midrange.

I am not skillful enough to point out subtle differences of sounds as I am not a musician, I just enjoy music and my search for the perfect sound was to find the (to me) most natural sounding phone. So maybe it is just the nostalgia factor that brain-washes me, and the e888 isn‘t actually as good as I think. I also have to admit, that in general I prefer dynamic driver sound to balanced armatures. BAs though often clearer than DDs just don‘t create the same kind of emotion and thus sound less natural to me. ( btw I have no experience with CIEMs)

The dilemma is also, that I haven’t even been to live performances that often and can’t objectively say if an instrument sounds natural or not, so please take my findings with a large spoon of salt and as just my own humble opinion!

So for me the e888 beats my Sennheiser ie80 and Hifiman re262 as well as my big guys - Grado RS1i, Grado 325i (which I love for its PRaT), Hifiman HE400 and Sony 7520 in the naturality of the sound presentation!

To cut the story short, I bought the Sennheiser MX985 some weeks ago due to its well regarded sound quality. I just wanted the best earbud on the market (I also have the Blox TM7 coming in soon, which I am also eager to compare).

When I put the mx985 in my ears (after some burn in) I like the sound quality with the nice punchy mid-bass and the clear sound. It is very enjoyable and sounds like a good modern earbud without reasonable flaws but the subtle details and „magic“ in the voices and the natural instrument placement and sound just isn’t there compared to the Sony.

There are many reviews of the e888 which state that it is just an average earphone, but maybe there are just too many fakes around or Sony had bad quality control back then (or more likely my ears just hear differently), I don’t know. I have the japanese version and my source is the Hifiman hm801, so maybe it is just a good match between them, as my sansa clip+ doesn’t show the full potential of the soundstage that is possible with these earbuds.

So the point of this whole writing is to show that those old vintage earbuds still deliver and if you find one on ebay or whereever just grab them. I am also dreaming of those nice Aiwa phones, but they are just so hard to get.    

Sorry for bothering you with a long read, guess I just have to admit, that I am a total e888-fanboy. However, there is just something about earbuds, that I guess only us earbud afficionados can understand. I am glad I finally found out :)

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #553 of 75,855
Hi costas23 and thanks for your post.

I haven't heard the E888, but I own a few older Sony models, such as E484, E282 and E252. They all sound great. Would I say that I prefer them to my Sennheiser MX980 or Blox TM7? Perhaps not. But it's all a matter of personal preference. The MX980 and TM7 have a fuller sound than the older Sony models, but perhaps voices aren't accentuated in the same way?
If you have read about the DIY earbuds from a guy in Hong Kong who calls himself Dasetn, I'd try to track one of his earbuds down if I were you. They sound amazing considering the low price. I'm especially amazed by a pair of Dasetn MX1, based on the old Sennheiser MX400 housing, that rivals my Blox TM7. I paid $150 for the Blox and around $20 for the MX1. The soundstage and detail is better on the MX1 with great depth and instrument layering while bass and "overall fullness" is better on the TM7.
Dasetn used to sell his stuff on Ebay. He's trying to start his own company and make earbuds that he can sell. I just hope he sticks to his own earbud models (such as the MX1), that are based on more generic designs rather than doing DIY modificiations of well known brands...

I wish you the best of luck in exploring the (small) earbud world.

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #554 of 75,855
Thanks Danneq for your post, I just sent Dasetn an email via Ebay. Hope he still produces them as there is no item listed in his ebay-shop at the moment.
I read your and others positive impressions on the Dasetn earbuds so I’m very interested, especially at those prices.

Btw how do his DIY yuin buds compare to the original ones? The price difference is considerable and I was planning to buy one of the yuins soon.

About the Sony e888, yes its definitely a matter of personal preference and I hope I could make it clear and not generalize it in my previous post.
I just was surprised at the low rating as I am really impressed by it and have compared it to many well regarded IEMs and headphones. I especially like that they sound rather neutral without any spikes and overly done accentuations, presenting a very natural sound.

My mx985 is very good, fun and clear sounding and totally deserves high regards but it is less neutral and has less detail in the lows/mids and highs to my ears. Maybe my mx985 unit is worse than normal, as it has some spikes in the mid-bass and highs but i’ll get the TM7 soon so I’ll post my impressions and compare the 3 with each other.

I mainly want to point out that the quality of vintage buds should not be neglected. Producers at those times (before IEMs) were putting a lot more effort and spent more R&D-money on earbuds and their dynamic drivers than today. Think of Aiwa and its diamond covered drivers, Sony’s bio-cellulose technology and other exotic materials and so on… todays top-tier IEMs are mainly based around BA-technology and DD-technology gets less attention unfortunately.

So it‘s good to know that there are still people behind Blox, Yuin and Dasetn, who despite low budgets and limited accessories/materials try to push the earbud technology further    

Feb 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #555 of 75,855
Not sure if this is being talked about elsewhere, but I just picked up a pair of M2C on the Blox website. Looks like they have stock again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back