Earbuds Round-Up
May 4, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #4,351 of 75,613
From what I remember, they were originally called the 3.14 Flat, but I suppose Pai decided to rename it to go along with their current naming convention for their IEMs.

May 4, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #4,354 of 75,613

idk if it's like the Zen 2 which has the same kind of housing, those have some weird acoustic resonance thing going on... wouldn't describe it as echo, more like their timbre.

Ah I see I see......Phew, for a sec there I thought my pair of Monks + was busted. But I'll give credit to Monks, their soundstage is wide. Havent listen to them much, so can say the same about details.

May 4, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #4,355 of 75,613
Alex fan their PR person calls it the PR1 and also this

Visited their website and the name is still just '3.14 Flat'. They should really make up their mind from the beginning as changing name midflight only serves to confuse customer.

May 4, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #4,356 of 75,613
Visited their website and the name is still just '3.14 Flat'. They should really make up their mind from the beginning as changing name midflight only serves to confuse customer.
hehe
200x400px-LL-8dcc4adb_CYMERA_20160402_181210.jpeg

May 4, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #4,357 of 75,613

Thank you very much. Where can I get Ting for AU $47?

Here's a link for the Ting Go Pro Music Maker. I have and am impressed by the Tomahawk which is similarly priced but I understand the Ting is more neutral/musical.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Go-Pro-Music-Maker-Ting-Hifi-Earbuds-In-Ear-Earphone-Alloy-Tune-Earbuds-Such-as/32647342362.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.13.9qciJ7&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7,searchweb201602_4_10017_10034_10021_507_10022_10032_10009_10020_10008_10018_9999_10019,searchweb201603_6&btsid=fc2c9776-2ed8-4172-81af-bbf904df1ac8

This is the correct link, as the other just takes you to the main Aliexpress page:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Go-Pro-Music-Maker-Ting-Hifi-Earbuds-In-Ear-Earphone-Alloy-Tune-Earbuds-Such-as/32647342362.html

--

@tamburlane @BloodyPenguin  Thank you very much for the link. I will check it out now. :)

May 4, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #4,358 of 75,613
Question for Rose Mojito owners: Do you feel the included cable is of decent quality, or would a cable like the 64 Audio cable which runs for $32 most likely be an upgrade? This is my first earphone with a 2 pin connection, so I have no way to test.

May 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #4,359 of 75,613
BTW, random note about Aliexpress and Head-Fi.

As some of you may or may not be aware.  Any click on an Aliexpress link to a product will directly take you to just the Main Aliexpress page.  The only way to bypass this is to copy and paste the link into your browser.  

It seems Head-Fi is worried about the abundance of Aliexpress reviews and links posted being used for personal gain.  

For me, I have done three reviews of products obtained through Aliexpress, I was not paid for my work, but I did receive the items for free in return for a fair review.  To comply with this new development, I have going back to my reviews and deleted the Aliexpress links.  

I was never contacted by any moderator or admin about my reviews or links.  I just wanted to be pro-active and cleanse my reviews of any confusion or question of authenticity.

I also had two pending reviews of products received from Aliexpress, one of them being the Rose Mojito.  I have mailed the Rose Mojito and the other item back to the seller on Aliexpress and I will no longer be working with any vendor there.  

As for the Rose Mojito, I did spend a LOT of time with it before I sent it back.  While I would agree it is a nice earbud, though it had some build issues and was not comfortable for my ear type at all.  

I do have some more reviews of MusicMaker products in the future, but like the Tomahawk IEM review, all samples will be directly supplied through MusicMaker themselves and not any seller on Aliexpress.  

May 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #4,363 of 75,613
It seems Head-Fi is worried about the abundance of Aliexpress reviews and links posted being used for personal gain.

I contacted only two Aliexpress sellers before and in both cases they have asked me if I could recommend or advertise their product and in one case he offered price discount in return so I am affraid "sponsored" recommendations may be quite common here.

May 4, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #4,364 of 75,613

I contacted only two Aliexpress sellers before and in both cases they have asked me if I could recommend or advertise their product and in one case he offered price discount in return so I am affraid "sponsored" recommendations may be quite common here.

Oh, I 100% agree and I think it is good that Head-Fi has taken some steps to fix the issue.  

Though I will say, on Head-Fi, it is hard to say something is good when it is not, because other users will quickly call them out.  

May 4, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #4,365 of 75,613
  Revisitin my Mrice E100´s:

I changed to slightly thicker donut foams and fiddled all night with the fitment until it finally clicked me: i got the best sound when the cable points behind the head, not torwards where you are looking. Also running the cable behind the ear seems to f up the fitment. What an enlightment after year of owning these. I prefer the sound to Monks AND Tomahawks which both have larger soundstages but does not sound as "lifelike" and imaging as E100´s. Monks are here to stay but Tomahawks are slightly let down for the price, should sell them since ~10eur E100 beats em when fitted correctly. Any recommendations how the get best from the Tomahawks before I do that? Tried full foam + donut foam to tame the slightly shrill/grainy treble, was OK but resolution got little worse.

Before selling the Tomahawks I'd advice that you try using something else than the included foams that comes with the buds.
I've complained about not obtaining a decent fit and the artificial sound I was getting from the Tomahawks.
I ended up using two layers of the included donut foams to make them stay put, and that probably affected the sound in the process.

Yesterday I got the Monk Expansion pack in the mail. I tried all the Monk accessories on the Tomahawks and ended up with using only the rubber rings and no foams.
That way I got a proper seal. Though this made them lack proper bass, they actually don't sound bad at all.
The main issue now is that my ears get sore after using this combo for more than an hour.

I'm pretty new to this earbud craze, and I'm learning new stuff every day by reading and experimenting. The one thing that is obvious to me, is that getting a proper seal pretty much determines if a bud is right for you or not.
The size of the Monk housing with foams is just about ideal for me to obtain a proper seal - I just pop the buds into the ears and press play. The MusicMaker or Mrice housing is anything but ideal for me.
I ordered the Cygnus ant the Zen 2.0 earlier this week, and I'm a little worried about how the Zen will fit my ear, since all reviewers say they ought to be used nude.

Well I guess sometimes you need to take risks to make that shortcut to the perfect sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back