Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 22, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #18,031 of 75,772
@ATi7500

They are just too disgustingly good lmao. Yea i should give my Monk+ another chance to prove itself. Just got my fren's coffee gold Monk+ today and i can finally release my Black Monks from her torment tmr!

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #18,033 of 75,772
  So I just need a soldering iron, a bunch of spare cables and some poor earbud to experiment with.

Which one is more prone to improvements?

There are several folks here who have recabled the Qian earbuds.

Maybe try to find budget models that have thin, cheap looking cables. 

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #18,034 of 75,772
  So I just need a soldering iron, a bunch of spare cables and some poor earbud to experiment with.

I feel like buying some $1 earbuds for practice, and not sure if anything learned with those would be helpful for higher end ear earbuds, But it's all talk, I have no spare time for modding earbuds lol!

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #18,035 of 75,772

There are several folks here who have recabled the Qian earbuds.

Maybe try to find budget models that have thin, cheap looking cables. 

A few months ago I had a friend on the forum re-cable my SHE3800 with a cable and jack from an unused KZ IEM. The quality of the KZ cable/jack was actually pretty decent. I did this because the jack on my LG V10 is finicky and didn't like the SHE3800 jack. I ended up with a thicker cable and good contact on the jack. No perceptible difference in sound quality. There's a photo in the earbud DIY thread.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #18,036 of 75,772
Yinman 500 ohm finally arrived. Unboxing these was a delight for me, the wooden box and pouch are a nice touch.

I forgot to upload pics of the box for Yinman 600, which I had written about here. No pouch!

I've had it about 2 weeks. Really love it, and it has become my primary headphone at home on desktop amp (Jotunheim). I'm going to try a balanced cable.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #18,038 of 75,772
SHE3800 vs Qian25 vs Monk+

Without foams:

Monk+: very bright, almost analytical, but not fatiguing. Soundstage is quite big for an earbud. Midbass to bass is nowhere to be heard. Sound signature is "monitor-like", just without the bass kick. Stereo separation is very good. Almost seems to be listening music through loudspeakers.

SHE3800: even without foams, the midbass thump is clearly there. Highs are rolled off compared to Monk+, and soundstage is pretty narrow. Sound is more boxed but still very detailed. I'd say classic earbud sound signature.

With donut foams:

Monk+: midbass came a bit alive, bass is still nowhere to be found. Even with donuts, Monk+ loses too much highs, but it gains a lot in terms of sound pressure. Sound is now more boxed, similar to SHE3800 with no foams. I think this mainly depends on the ear fit. The monk+ have an awful fit without foams, at least in my ears. Also donuts eliminate the best feature of Monk+: they simply don't sound like speakers anymore.

SHE3800: I'll be short here: RUMBLING AND HEART SHAKING, BASSY BASS OF BASSMAN BASSY. You WANT donuts for these earphones to shine. It's just unbelievable how they can keep the same clarity as without foams. Sound is still boxed but sounds definitely more organic and danceable. These gems might not win any awards for monitoring, but for 3$, you want to have these in your collection. If recabling improves clarity, these are truly ridiculously disgusting (in a good meaning) earbuds.

And in a nutshell, Qian25 sits perfectly between the two. Better clarity than SHE3800 but less bass. Tamed highs compared to Monk+ but very similar soundstage. Maybe even better. The only thing where monk+ shines is its monitor-like sound signature.

Final judgement for my tastes:

Qian25>SHE3800>Monk+

Tests were performed on a Nexus 7 2013, on the notes of Michael Jackson - Billie Jean (320 kbps)

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #18,040 of 75,772
SHE3800 vs Qian25 vs Monk+

Without foams:

Monk+: very bright, almost analytical, but not fatiguing. Soundstage is quite big for an earbud. Midbass to bass is nowhere to be heard. Sound signature is "monitor-like", just without the bass kick. Stereo separation is very good. Almost seems to be listening music through loudspeakers.

With donut foams:

Monk+: midbass came a bit alive, bass is still nowhere to be found. Even with donuts, Monk+ loses too much highs, but it gains a lot in terms of sound pressure. Sound is now more boxed, similar to SHE3800 with no foams. I think this mainly depends on the ear fit. The monk+ have an awful fit without foams, at least in my ears. Also donuts eliminate the best feature of Monk+: they simply don't sound like speakers anymore.

Interesting analysis. I have a recurrent foam/no foam dilemma with Monk+. No foams means huge soundstage, foams means a liitle more bass but less detail. So I keep dress/undressing them depending on what I'm listening :)

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #18,041 of 75,772

I forgot to upload pics of the box for Yinman 600, which I had written about here. No pouch!

I've had it about 2 weeks. Really love it, and it has become my primary headphone at home on desktop amp (Jotunheim). I'm going to try a balanced cable.

(pictures)

Still really interested in these. I haven't had a high impendence earbud since I sold my Zen 2, and they're a nice looking wood. I might just have to order these now...

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #18,042 of 75,772

sir Golov, how does yinman 500 compare to pt15 in terms of clarity, soundstage, instruments separation?

Thanks!

my **** drivers crash

Can you explain what happened? Did volume have anything to do with it? Were they modded?

Notice we don't hear anything about the graphene/graphite driver after the initial release flurry. I think just marketing...

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #18,043 of 75,772
Can you explain what happened? Did volume have anything to do with it? Were they modded?

Notice we don't hear anything about the graphene/graphite driver after the initial release flurry. I think just marketing...
no, no, no problems with them, it's all my fault, I examined them for modding, and injured one driver ..

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #18,044 of 75,772

no, no, no problems with them, it's all my fault, I examined them for modding, and injured one driver ..

Thanks for clarification. The PT15 is tricky to mod because of how it's glued to the casing? Oh well.. win some lose some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back