Earbud thread
Aug 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #76 of 92
Head Direct RE2 canalphone continued...

I reported on how these were faulty and that I needed a replacement. I received the replacement today and have just tested them and there's a big improvement in overall sound quality. These replacements sound really wonderful with excellent highs. However, I'll need to give them a break-in period and also allow my ears to neutralize as I have been using my new UE Triple fi-10s all day long...most of the day, anyway.

I'm positive these will shine like a beacon in the night sky once preliminarys are met.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #77 of 92
Head Direct RE2 canalphone continued...

Boy I have to say it, even though these RE2s aren't broken in yet, they are some fantastically sweet sounding canalphones! It is incredible how good they sound in the highs and low end. Good grief, the whole audio spectrum is outstanding! They have a very good soundstage and presence of sound that only the very best canalphones I've heard have. The clarity is wonderful and the bass is tight and just the perfect amount.

These RE2s even feel wonderful, inserted in an inverted manner, with the cord stem pointing up and the cord wrapping over the ear.

I can't remember the fellow's name that recommended these to me, he recommended the UE3s and something else which I can't remember, but he hit 3 home runs with what he has recommended so far. 3 for 3! Now I'm wanting the RE1s because I have an amp to drive them with. Then after that, some OK1s, I believe they're called. I'm going to invest in a lot of Head Direct stuff. That's how pleased I am with the RE2s. I am not kidding in the least about the sound quality. I'm sitting here as I type this listening to the music through these and the latest song is Kirk Whalum's "Desperately" with beautiful sax playing and it is just astounding me how good it sounds. The sax sounds like it's right there at my ears...or rather, in the center of my head, very clear and dynamic.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:51 AM Post #78 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultimate Ears Super fi-4 continued...

I tell you, if you listen to the Sennheiser CX500s, like I was doing prior to plugging these in, for any period of time, the next set you put in, these UE4s as an example, they won't sound too good for some reason. The CX500s have a quality of sound that, once adjusted to it, is very pleasing and enjoyable.

I went straight to these UE4s after doing an extensive listening period with the CX500s and I just didn't like what I was hearing. The sound seemed colored and boring and there was a distinctive hall effect going on where it sounds similar to the sound made by talking into a tube, like an empty roll from paper towels. I knew I needed to give them time but I wasn't encouraged at all. Then, after a night of sleep and then using some different phones for a while, I put these back in and was presented with a very pleasing sound quality. I wouldn't say the sound quality of the previous day was gone, I just wasn't hearing it as unpleasant. The sound is not like the UE3s, not as good, but is certainly not bad.

I would characterize the sound as high quality generic. It doesn't have the presence or air of the UE3s, nor the soundstage. They seem to have a hazy Etymotic ER-6i sound to them. Actually, a more accurate description would be, they have a flat sound, lifeless sound. But they do sound very good in comparison with the majority of lower end lines like the JVCs, Skullcandys and such as those.

I've just ordered these and a Fuze to replace my E260 and JVC Marshmallows. Do you think I'll notice a good enough difference to warrant the change?

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just ordered these and a Fuze to replace my E260 and JVC Marshmallows. Do you think I'll notice a good enough difference to warrant the change?

Going form the Marshmallows to the UE4s, you will see a significant difference, especially if you use a quality codec like WMA or OGG. the UE4s present a stronger more dynamic soun d than the Mms and the bass output is more accurate. The UE4s are closer in sound to the Etymotic ER6i and are a genuine alternative to the JVCs, Skullcandys and other such lower end canalphones.

The only thing with the UE4s is they don't have the soundstage and clarity of the UE3s and the UE3s are cheaper in cost. But, going from the Mms, you'll likely love them.

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #80 of 92
Thanks, that's reassuring, I thought after I read your comments about the UE4's, that I may have made a mistake. I didn't want the UE3's because I wear glasses, and everything I read about wearing over-the-ear IEM's with glasses is a big pain.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #81 of 92
Philips SHE2610:

Nice design-comes with 5 sets of interchangeable caps-red,white,blue,green,black.

As a upgrade from Apple's stock earbuds-the SHE2610 have better bass levels and are quite nice to wear, soundwise the bass is powerful and mids/lows have some definition.

These are inexpensive but nice earphones-paid AUD$30 for these (in the US-maybe $10-$15).

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #82 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, that's reassuring, I thought after I read your comments about the UE4's, that I may have made a mistake. I didn't want the UE3's because I wear glasses, and everything I read about wearing over-the-ear IEM's with glasses is a big pain.

I believe, with the UE3s and 5s and 10s, you'd be able to switch the phones between the cables and this would allow you to insert them for an under-the ear style. The cables come unplugged from each phone and there's nothing about the connection that prevents them from being plugged into the other phone.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #83 of 92
Zune Premium canalphones

Believe this or not but the Zune Premium canalphones sound fantastic. I bought a Zune 80 quite a while back and never even looked at the canalphones till today. I though it would be interesting to hear them with the various sleeves and foams I have to use on them so, I pulled them out, put some complys on and plugged them into my nickyboyo CMOY amp and was stunned by their sound quality.

I had been listening to my music with the set of Triple fi-10s all day and when i put the Zunes in i turned the volume way up to see if they could take it without audible distortion and they almost sounded like the Triples! I could scarcely believe it but they definitely sounded better than the last stunners I tried, the HD RE2s and my addictive CX500s.

Don't get me wrong, they have some coloration but it isn't as much as the RE2s, which sound beautiful, by the way. These Zunes have excellent soundstaging, air and crisp highs. the bass is a little muddy but is still easy to listen to. It's strong and plentiful.

I think i've hit upon a low cost alternative to the UE3s and RE2s and CX500s. If you can find someone that has a set of these Zune Premiums and can get access to a decent amp, give them a listen. Don't take my word for it, go check them out for yourselves. My source is an iriver Clix gen. 1 with OGG@256KB/s.

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #85 of 92
Harman Kardon ep730 canalphones

Okay, I'm going to give up on this brand if Buy.com doesn't send me a good, defect free set of these. This is the second pair that I have received and they are also defective. The first set, I RMA's because the right phone was making racket, buzzing, static'y and clearly defective. Buy.com sent a replacement and the same right phone is defective in this new set of phones. It's doing the very same thing that the previous set was doing.

Sheesh! What does it take to get a decent set of HK ep730s from Buy.com?

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #86 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by izbr1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the cost of headphones u mention is 30$?

Depends on where you buy them. Amazon has them, with free shipping, for $29. Other place are around $32 to $42.

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #87 of 92
Zune Premium canalphones continued...

The bass seems to be tightening up quite a bit now that I have been using them for a few hours. Not only that but the midrange is getting better, as well.

Having used my UE3s extensively and being unmindful that I have these Zune phones in, I sometimes think I'm wearing the UE3s. That's how similar they are in sound. I don't think they have quite the soundstage of the UE3s but it's close. Everything else about the sound is right on the mark for being clones of the UE3s. Also, right now, they seem to be a little constrained in the upper midrange.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #88 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on where you buy them. Amazon has them, with free shipping, for $29. Other place are around $32 to $42.

Cheap solution!!
happy_face1.gif

if zunes better than other u mention..... thats nices

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #89 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by izbr1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheap solution!!
happy_face1.gif

if zunes better than other u mention..... thats nices

So far the Zunes are better than the CX500s for sound quality. The amount of bass the CX500s put out is more but the Zunes put out a generous amount.

The Zunes have a less colored sound when compared to the HD RE2s. The sound is more "real" sounding with the Zunes than the RE2s.

I used the the Zunes for quite a few hours today and, because this type of canalphone requires a break-in period of anywhere from a few hours to around 24 hours, the bass got tighter and more controlled. The midrange became quite open as well. The sound now reminds me of the Ultimate Ears Super fi-3s. Actually, probably more in line with the Super fi-4s. It is quite interesting that these low cost canalphones are playing music as well as the are.

If you know someone who owns a Zune 80, you might see if they will allow you to test their Zune Premium canalphones because these phones come packed in with the Zune 80. You'll be able to see for yourslef if you prefer them. If you can, get some comply foams to attach to them so you'll get a good seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back