Earbud buyer's guide, feat. TM5, OK1, PK1, ATH-CM700, OK2, K319, OK3, PK3, PK2
Feb 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #107 of 226
Preliminary report on just reviewed PK3:

Yuin PK3 – “Best value”, added Feb 7, 2010
It surprised me a lot. It is underrated at head-fi to no purpose but snobbism. It is shame on me that I overlooked it before. Its bass reminds me TM5 – deep, full-blown, accurate and effortless. Mids are clear and of neutral tonality. Highs are tamed, soft and forgiving. PK3 sounds even and smooth, with no sibilance or harshness. Clarity, instrument separation and soundstage are surprisingly good for the price. It has no many details, extra resolution or hyper speed, like higher cans. But it has coherent sound, plenty of fun and soul, similarly to PK1. And all these for $39! It is a real steal, I recommend it as first earbud to purchase; I believe many will stay with it.

PK3 performs any genre well. It is listenable on any volume down and is the best earbud for background listening. It is easy to drive though may benefit from amping and serial resistor, like P-to-S converter.
I would add it to the Guide (first post) and rate it same or slightly above PK2.

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #108 of 226
agree!!
but i think many people will disagree because of the price difference
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #109 of 226
nice review, have u tried the new senns yet? The TM5 seems kinda intriguing now...
biggrin.gif
I've tried the PK1 and lovin it and I wanted to have other things to compare, the things that I could find most probably the ath and the senns...and maybe some akg...but I doubt they could be compared to the PK1...

I've tried the MX 760 and feel that it is comparable with PK3, but PK1 is better than both of them

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #111 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I yet to try the new Sennheisers, but I would go crazy if any of them can beat TM5, PK1, OK1.

I hope you can try them soon.
I did never listen to TM5 or any of the Yuins, but Sennheiser MX 980 sounds astonishing. It feels like it is caressing your ears.

I could imagine it can beat or compete with those monsters :)

Do you know when you will have a chance to compare them?

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #113 of 226
Quote:

I checked and they are not available in Russia yet. So it would be a long wait.

Too bad, but that's life :)

I can not find any Sennheiser earbud in your ranking in the initial post of this thread.
Did you have a chance to compare any of Sennheisers flagship earbud models till now?
For example LX 90 Style and OMX 95 Style II which I both own really sounds very nice too, but not quite as good as MX 980.
All earbuds with 90 Style or 95 Style II should sound pretty good.
Would be interesting to know where you would rank them compared to the other great earbuds.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #116 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think he said mx980 is better than pk1

I can confirm that MX 980 sounds fantastic.
Better than LX 90, OMX 95 or K 319 for example.
And of course better than MX 880 as well.
But I can not compare it to PK1 or any other Yuin because I never had the chance to listen any of the Yuins.
I am really happy with my MX 980 and don't miss the Yuins :)

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #117 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by nengerlf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I can not compare it to PK1 or any other Yuin because I never had the chance to listen any of the Yuins.
I am really happy with my MX 980 and don't miss the Yuins :)

how can you miss the Yuins if you've never listened to them in the first place?

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #119 of 226
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowincanada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how can you miss the Yuins if you've never listened to them in the first place?

I told that I NOT miss the Yuins and this means that I am so happy with the sound of my MX 980 that I not miss more sound quality so far.
Maybe this will change once but at the moment I really feel happy with MX 980.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #120 of 226
Quote:

He do NOT miss them. And he is wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

I am waiting the time when you will be able to compare MX 980 to the Yuins :)

You are sure that I am wrong?
At the moment I think you can only guess that I am maybe wrong, but after you did listen to MX 980 you will know if I am wrong or not. :)

But shouldn't you tell that I miss TM5? This is earbud which you rated best so far and even higher then Yuins if I understand correct.

By the way, I asked yesterday if you did compare the Sennheiser 90 Style and 95 Style II series also and how you rate them compared to the others in your rating.
I would appreciate a short answer to this.
Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back