Ear plugs or earphones?
Aug 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 6
Ear Plugs (certain ones) will give better isolation than any IEM.

No speaker housings to suck in/transmit any sounds.

Although there are some IEMs that an get close to the same levels of isolation.

IMO, Jim

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 6
Normal earbuds isolate around -10~-15dB, depends on fit. A typical IEM with (what I refer as) average isolation will be around -20~-26dB. A high isolating IEM (Etymotic. Westone, Shure) will give you around -33dB or so. Most custom IEM are generally around -26dB.

In comparison, a normal silicone earplug usually has a NNR rating around -20dB, an Etymotic Musician earplug is NNR -12dB (but gives around -20dB in real world). A high isolating foam earplug can go around NNR -30dB or so.

That being said, you can't actually just say whether earplug or IEM is more isolating. It really depends on which earplug and IEM we are talking here since individual rating varies a lot.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Normal earbuds isolate around -10~-15dB, depends on fit. A typical IEM with (what I refer as) average isolation will be around -20~-26dB. A high isolating IEM (Etymotic. Westone, Shure) will give you around -33dB or so. Most custom IEM are generally around -26dB.
In comparison, a normal silicone earplug usually has a NNR rating around -20dB, an Etymotic Musician earplug is NNR -12dB (but gives around -20dB in real world). A high isolating foam earplug can go around NNR -30dB or so.
That being said, you can't actually just say whether earplug or IEM is more isolating. It really depends on which earplug and IEM we are talking here since individual rating varies a lot.

I asked because I recently tried my friend's skullcandy earphones. Sound quality = **** but it seemed to block out outside noise really well. It seemed better than: http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-20-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ3H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344054992&sr=8-1&keywords=ear+plug

These work alright but I'm looking for almost complete noise isolation. 

And I know this isn't exactly relevant but how are the sound quality of IEM compared to open back headphones? And compared to closed back portable headphones? Assuming they are all at least 200 dollars. 

Aug 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 6
If you are playing music when using those SkullCandy, then it is naturally that you find it more isolating as music will help to mask the surrounding noise.

Generally speaking, you'll get better full size headphone than IEM for the same price.

Aug 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
If you are playing music when using those SkullCandy, then it is naturally that you find it more isolating as music will help to mask the surrounding noise.
Generally speaking, you'll get better full size headphone than IEM for the same price.

I wasn't listening to music out of it though. I just wore it to try on and the noise isolation felt amazing 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back