Ear plugs.....and what I should know
Jan 1, 2012 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
I know a bit about Ear plugs that are meant for use without earbuds, just to protect your ear drums. I was wondering if you guys could help me understand exactly what different ones their are, what they can offer me, and will I be able to use them to protect my ears and still socially function when getting lunch in a cafeteria/saying hello to people I go past at school during my day. I got about $50 to play with, more if I wait a few weeks.

Thanks for your help guys

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 3
There are lots of types of earplugs, but in my experience they all fall into two categories - fitted and non-fitted.

Fitted earplugs are usually non-disposable and they use a mold of your ear canal (like fitted IEMs) to make them fit your ear. So they generally cost more because you have to pay to have impressions taken, as well as for the plugs to be made.

Non-fitted usually conform to your ear somehow, and are often disposable.

I have some Livewire custom fitted headphones which I will use as earplugs when I am not moving around or in an abusive environment. But to be honest, my favorite type of earplug for working with power tools, attending concerts, and a million other abusive environments is the simple roll-up foam type.

They are easy to use and have a 29dB figure, which is more isolation than many custom fitted solutions.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 3
Personally I'm not a fan of the foam type. I find them difficult to use, and just generally irritating. My favorite plugs are made by Alpine Hearing Protection. They are a double flange type, made with extremely soft material that's very comfortable even during extended periods of use. They also have much shorter stems than most flange type plugs, so you don't look like an idiot with antennas sticking out of your ears. They are washable and re-usable many times. They cost a bit more than the plugs you'll see in drug stores, but the quality level is so much higher that its definitely worth the extra $5 or so.

http://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/consumer_worksafe.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back