EAR HP4 / Luxman SQ100 / Manley Neo Classic 300B RC (OPINIONS NEEDED!!! :-)
Oct 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 38
Have you considered a Woo 5? Drop in some Western Electric 300b's and you have a great amp that bumps up against the top of your budget. Otherwise, I would go for the Leben. They seem to sell like hot cakes on Sunday morning on Audiogon, given all the great reviews and general buzz. The same won't apply to the Luxman integrated. This is relevant if you are planning to sell down the road in order to upgrade.

I would also cross out the Luxman P1-u. I own it...it is a great amp...but it is not really all that euphonic compared to tube amps I have owned. It is stellar with JH16s.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 38
I just picked up my Luxman SQ-N100 today and I've been listening to it this evening with my HD800 w/Blue Dragon cable.  Its not even burned in yet but it sounds absolutely fantastic.  Srajan in his 6 Moons review of this amp got it right.  He puts the Luxman at the very top of his list and he owns among others, the WA5 with upgrades and premium tubes.   I've owned the HD800 for well over a year and I've been using my Zana Deux SE and SPL Phonitor to drive it and both of these amps are well regarded by most here as being a good match for the HD800.  Well the Luxman is better than my other 2 amps with the 800 and not by a small margin.  Tonight was the first time that I have listened for hours at a time to the HD800 and not been irritated atleast a little bit by its lean character.  The sound with the HD800/N100 combination was rich and warm but at the same time transparent with excellent toe tapping pace, rhythm and timing.  All of this with just the stock tubes.

The build quality of the Luxman is first rate.  It is one solid piece that is built like a tank but with the craftsmenship of a Swiss watch.  Not only is this an excellent sounding amp but it is a great value too.  The N100 is a fully functional integrated amp that has a MM phono stage and a remote control.  Another reason I picked the Luxman is because I have a local dealer that has served me well in the past and he gave me a great deal.   I need to start a separate thread and maybe post some pictures of this amp because I think buyers should consider it if they are shopping in this price range or even if they have budgeted much more. 

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 38

I just picked up my Luxman SQ-N100 today and I've been listening to it this evening with my HD800 w/Blue Dragon cable.  Its not even burned in yet but it sounds absolutely fantastic.  Srajan in his 6 Moons review of this amp got it right.  He puts the Luxman at the very top of his list and he owns among others, the WA5 with upgrades and premium tubes.   I've owned the HD800 for well over a year and I've been using my Zana Deux SE and SPL Phonitor to drive it and both of these amps are well regarded by most here as being a good match for the HD800.  Well the Luxman is better than my other 2 amps with the 800 and not by a small margin.  Tonight was the first time that I have listened for hours at a time to the HD800 and not been irritated atleast a little bit by its lean character.  The sound with the HD800/N100 combination was rich and warm but at the same time transparent with excellent toe tapping pace, rhythm and timing.  All of this with just the stock tubes.

The build quality of the Luxman is first rate.  It is one solid piece that is built like a tank but with the craftsmenship of a Swiss watch.  Not only is this an excellent sounding amp but it is a great value too.  The N100 is a fully functional integrated amp that has a MM phono stage and a remote control.  Another reason I picked the Luxman is because I have a local dealer that has served me well in the past and he gave me a great deal.   I need to start a separate thread and maybe post some pictures of this amp because I think buyers should consider it if they are shopping in this price range or even if they have budgeted much more. 

I am so freaking jelous. YOU MUST POST PICS!

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #21 of 38
Ok, here are some pics:

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #22 of 38

Quote:

Beautiful amp . And what is the sound with the LA7000/N100 combination , how works N100 with low Impedance headphones ?

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 38
I have not received my LA7000 yet, it is still with Markl.  It shouldn't be long before I get them and I can update you when I do.  So far, all my headphones sound great with the N100 including the T1, HD650, K340 as well as the HD800. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #25 of 38
Exactly , we look forward to your impression
L3000.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 38
For those of us who are unlikely to be taking delivery of the Luxman (any Luxman..) anytime soon, please join me in this moment of sheer unadulterated envy. Now try to imagine yourself in the room below, completely free to experiment with any combination that takes your fancy, be it 'phones/speakers/whatever:

Yep, I stole that from 6Moons, and we have all indulged in a little amp pr0n from time to time, but its easy to get cynical about gear. The kit in the photo above looks (IMO) the way hi-fi should, but I guess I'm just an old bloke.

Enjoy your new Luxman, Steve.

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #28 of 38
The Luxman integrated has been incredible with every headphone that I have including the T1, HD800, HD650 and K340.   It has transformed my HD800 from a can that exhibited slightly etched transients to one that is totally musical.  The N100 is not tubey but it conveys a rich musical tonality while still being fast and transparent.  The bass is deeply extended without any bloat.   The midrange is the best I've heard period.  The highs are extended and clear but never bright.   Soundstaging is very open and imaging is spot on.   When I used to listen to the 800's with other amps I would tend to analyze the music but now with the N100, I get lost in the music.   PRAT is very high, this is not a lifeless amp.   For the record, my source is the PS Audio Perfectwave transport and DAC.    Another plus for the N100 is it sounds great with the stock tubes.  Most other tube amps require boutique NOS tubes to sound good.  I have a ton of NOS tubes for this amp but I really don't feel the need to roll tubes with this amp.  Obviously, I'm extremely pleased with this amp.  I've been into high end headphone systems for over 12 years and the N100 has been my best purchase yet.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
Oh my God you give week school girl knees.  I cant wait to graduate to buy one!  ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF IT FOR US!

I will have no problem doing just that and THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back