EAC freedb.org problems
Feb 7, 2005 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
I'm having intermittent problems with EAC's freedb.org, which is often giving messages like "server error." On some days it works and on some it doesn't.

If I use the same CD with iTunes' gracenote CDDB, it works 100% of the time.

How do I change EAC to use gracenote CDDB or something more reliable than freedb.org? I need exact steps and/or commans pls.

Feb 7, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I'm having intermittent problems with EAC's freedb.org, which is often giving messages like "server error." On some days it works and on some it doesn't.

If I use the same CD with iTunes' gracenote CDDB, it works 100% of the time.

How do I change EAC to use gracenote CDDB or something more reliable than freedb.org? I need exact steps and/or commans pls.

funny. i was having exactlly the same issue, and i posted a thread today
smily_headphones1.gif

it is working for me now

if you haven't already, go to "EAC, then choose freedb options, then 'GET ACTive freedb server list"

it will (hopefully) give you a list of servers to choose from if the one you're on doesn't work.

i had the same perfect results with itunes. just goes to show you how mac really does some things very right. i don't like them outright, but i think it would be well to learn from them when it comes to user-friendliness

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
funny. i was having exactlly the same issue, and i posted a thread today
smily_headphones1.gif

it is working for me now

if you haven't already, go to "EAC, then choose freedb options, then 'GET ACTive freedb server list"

it will (hopefully) give you a list of servers to choose from if the one you're on doesn't work.

i had the same perfect results with itunes. just goes to show you how mac really does some things very right. i don't like them outright, but i think it would be well to learn from them when it comes to user-friendliness

Yeah, iTunes/Mac "just works." PC world definitely has a lot more issues. Too bad Foobar sounds better than iTunes.

When I press "get active freedb server list," I only get error message, "can't connect to server." I suspect today or tomorrow that button will work again, then I can change the server.

For now, I'm ripping with iTunes with error correction, then using dBpoweramp to convert apple lossless to Flac. Once again, iTunes is working 100% of the time
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 11
If you got a couple GB to spare, you could try downloading it

Feb 7, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Yeah, iTunes/Mac "just works." PC world definitely has a lot more issues. Too bad Foobar sounds better than iTunes.

When I press "get active freedb server list," I only get error message, "can't connect to server." I suspect today or tomorrow that button will work again, then I can change the server.

For now, I'm ripping with iTunes with error correction, then using dBpoweramp to convert apple lossless to Flac. Once again, iTunes is working 100% of the time
frown.gif

That's not quite fair. freedb doesn't have anything to do with PCs specifically (it just so happens that foobar is a PC app). WMP, for example, finds album info quickly and reliably, just as well (I would imagine) as iTunes.

Feb 8, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidelity
You can manually change the freedb server under "EAC > freedb/database Options > freedb > freedb server"

Works fine for me, IMO the iTunes software blows.
biggrin.gif

Problem is, when I press "get active freedb server list," I still get error message like "server error" or "can't connect to host."

I even manually pasted in a name of a different freedb server, which is known to work, and still get "server error."

Is no one else having problems with freedb.org this week? It WAS working pretty well last week..

Feb 9, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 11
As a temp measure, you can use player to access Gracenote, then export the infomation to CDplayer.ini, then import the CDPlayer.ini from EAC.
I use this because CDDB doesnt support 2byte characters, while Gracenote does.

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 11
quick fix:
in the field that lists the server url, change it from

http://freedb.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

to

http://uk.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

Basically, the redirect-server, named "freedb" on freedb.org s*its itself every so often. The "uk" mirror-server on freedb.org, by way of contrast, usually works without a hiccup, as do most of the other regional mirrors (us, at, au, ca, and so on). Do this once, and you can then "Get list of Active Servers", and choose the one closest to you.

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbyrd
quick fix:
in the field that lists the server url, change it from

http://freedb.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

to

http://uk.freedb.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi

Basically, the redirect-server, named "freedb" on freedb.org s*its itself every so often. The "uk" mirror-server on freedb.org, by way of contrast, usually works without a hiccup, as do most of the other regional mirrors (us, at, au, ca, and so on). Do this once, and you can then "Get list of Active Servers", and choose the one closest to you.

Actually, I did paste in the au. freedb server manually and it still didn't work yesterday. However, today, things are working again for no good reason by itself. Who knows. Currently using usa.freedb server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back