E4......BUMMER!
Jul 20, 2005 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
I received my Shure E4 last week, and I've used them no more than 3-4 hours since then, as I still prefer the UE Super.Fi Pro. I used them yesterday with no problem. Today I plugged them into my iPod and the left channel is silent. I checked the sound tube.....no problem there that I could see. I tried them without the tube.....still silent. I played with the cable but could elicit no sound whatsoever. I also tried them with different sources. I guess they're going to Shure for repair. Any other suggestions? As I said, they were fine yesterday, and today NADA!
frown.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 23
Dang, sorry to hear that happened!

For a second there, after reading the title of the thread, I was thinking "Wow, is joelongwood finally going to sell something of his?"
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 23
A rational man probably would just send these back for a refund......but just the fact that I've been here for close to 5 years is proof I'm not of that ilk.
I just contacted Keith of American Techpushers and he will send a replacement when he receives the defective ones. Excellent service!
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 23
Dang that sucks. If it makes you feel any better, I just picked up my UE Superfi 5 Pro yesterday, brought it to the hotel, spent 20 minutes getting the damn blisterpack open, and found out the right channel didn't work. This was after waiting for Guitar Center to order them from another store location. Now I gotta wait again for another pair.

Welp, I guess the impressions will have to come later. Best of luck with yours - I'm sure American Techpushers will get you one as soon as possible.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 23
My Etymotic ER6i monitors lost the right channel last week so off they go to Etymotic. I just got some ER4Ps to hold me over though.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I received my Shure E4 last week, and I've used them no more than 3-4 hours since then, as I still prefer the UE Super.Fi Pro. I used them yesterday with no problem. Today I plugged them into my iPod and the left channel is silent. I checked the sound tube.....no problem there that I could see. I tried them without the tube.....still silent. I played with the cable but could elicit no sound whatsoever. I also tried them with different sources. I guess they're going to Shure for repair. Any other suggestions? As I said, they were fine yesterday, and today NADA!
frown.gif

Between the E4 and the Sfpro, which is more comfortable?

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 23
jjcha,

I had the same problem with my left channel on the Superfi's. It's probably just the cable. They've been having problems with the first run and changed them somehow (memory wire I think). Anyway try and get in touch with Ultimate Ears and I think you'll get the replacement faster than through Guitar Center.

Josh

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #9 of 23
Sorry to hear the bad news, hope they do an outstanding job on the warranty service...

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Between the E4 and the Sfpro, which is more comfortable?

While the E4 is comfortable with the soft flex tips, the SfPro still wins in that department, at least as far as my ears are concerned. I think the memory wire and the light, thin cable have a lot to do with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb239
jjcha,
I had the same problem with my left channel on the Superfi's. It's probably just the cable. They've been having problems with the first run and changed them somehow (memory wire I think). Anyway try and get in touch with Ultimate Ears and I think you'll get the replacement faster than through Guitar Center.
Josh

I've already contacted UE and a new cable is on the way.......FANTASTIC customer service.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Sorry to hear the bad news, hope they do an outstanding job on the warranty service...

Thanks for the sympathy Greg.........I contacted Keith of Americantechpushers where I got them, and they are already on their way back.....he's sending a new pair as replacement. Again, GREAT customer service.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmb239

I believe the problem was that some cables were breaking at the junction with the memory wire. I have a revised set, and can confirm that the memory wire is thicker. The cable itself appears to be nearly identical to the original.

Jul 21, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Dang that sucks. If it makes you feel any better, I just picked up my UE Superfi 5 Pro yesterday, brought it to the hotel, spent 20 minutes getting the damn blisterpack open, and found out the right channel didn't work. This was after waiting for Guitar Center to order them from another store location. Now I gotta wait again for another pair.

Make sure you try to reseat the cable before you declare them dead. I was having trouble with one channel of mine when I first got them but it was just a matter of reseating the cable connection to the transducer. People aren't used to IEMs with replaceable cables and don't seem to think about this.

Jul 25, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 23
The left earbud stopped working yesterday all of a sudden. The sound just cut out completely. On the E4C's, there is no way to plug/unplug the cables (that I can see). So, I tried fiddling with the cable from the "Y" connector up to the earpiece. Occasionally, I could get sound to return, but only for a few seconds, then it cut out again. I'm reasonably SHURE that there's a faulty contact somewhere near or inside the earbud. Hmmm...

I have owned this set of E4C's since about mid-June (purchased from eCost), so they've only seen a month and a half of usage. I will try contacting eCost and Shure to find out what the policy is for replacement. I would hope that there is at least a 90 day warranty on these canalphones.

I love these E4C's and definitely want to replace them, but I do hope that I can expect better longevity. Seems like others have experienced this same type of problem on Super.Fi's and Shure's.

KenB

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenB
I love these E4C's and definitely want to replace them, but I do hope that I can expect better longevity. Seems like others have experienced this same type of problem on Super.Fi's and Shure's.
KenB

Ken - my E4C came with a 2 year warranty; I'm sure you have as well! Why not try out Shure's customer service.

Jul 25, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 23
It has been more than 30 days since I made the purchase at eCost, so I can no longer return/exchange them there using the DOA policy. I'm left with a manufacturer's warranty claim.

Good news! On Shure's website, there is a note that, after Jan 2003, ALL products carry a two year warranty. That is certainly reassuring!

It doesn't appear that you can actually talk to anyone in customer service at Shure. I called the 800 number, but it simply connected me, through a series of voice prompts, to a recorded message which simply restates everything on the warranty web page. Evidently, the procedure is to package up the defective unit, print out and complete a "Repair Correspondence Form," attach proof of purchase, and send to Niles, IL. Then wait...

I guess I'll be stuck listening to the iAudio X5L stock earbuds, temporarily, now that I'm losing my E4C's. Maybe I should pick up a set of Westone UM2's as an 2nd pair...

I'll report on the warranty claim as it progress... It's possible that other E4C owners may experience this problem over time.

KenB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back