E3C's way too sensitive
May 14, 2005 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this but for me, the E3c's are too sensitive. I cannot turn the volume down low enough on my portable to be really comfortable (it's just a tad too loud at a volume setting of one and zero is mute). Not only that, but all the noise is transmitted. There's a constant hiss and whenever the scrollwheel is used or when the harddrive spins up I hear more noise.

May 14, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 8
Yeah... low impedence / high sensitivity canalphones are a pain to amplify ...cleanly.

Amp manufacturers boast how well their products drive high impedence cans, but they neglect the opposite side. I guess it must be a REALLY difficult task to design an amp circuit that'll cleanly drive both.

I use a 100 ohm impedence adapter and amp my e2c, its still plenty loud even with the adapter. I still get a little hiss, but its just barely audible with no music playing.

Garrett

May 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I had a similar problem with my UM2s. The simplest solution is to get an in-line volume control (I use the Shure "volume attenuator") and turn the volume up a bit on the source. In this way you get rid of the hiss and get perfect control over the volume. Some say this will ruin the sound quality, but I really haven't noticed anything.

Edit: Actually "level attenuator" is the name Shure uses for their volume control.

May 14, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 8
I am very sensitive to noise and listen at really low volume. I never had a problem with the E3C sensitivity off the iPod mini headphone out. I am at about 20-30% volume level of the iPod mini using the headphone output.

With the stock SR-71, the E3c is just too loud for me. Ray lowered the SR-71 gain to 3 and all is well.

About volume attenuators, I would imagine that the sound will get warmer (the E3c is already limited in the highs, so this may be bad news). Not sure though. If you are amping, I would look into changing the gain first. If not, well, I would try the attenuator myself if I were you!

----Pat

May 14, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 8
I usually listen to my um2's at a volume of 1-3, and I often find 1 too loud. I find it amazing that some people complain that their headphones aren't loud enough.

ue will also sell a volume attenuator http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/i..._prod-987.html
As kramer said, a resistor will work too.
I find the volume attenuator takes a bit off the highs, though.

May 14, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Seems my Sonys NW-HD1 (non eurocapped) weak amp has it's uses after all
cool.gif
I listen to the E3s at 50%, EQ-ed, and have perfect adjustable volume both sides, no problems at all. The combination sounds very pleasant too, once you find your favorite EQ-settings (un-EQ-ed the E3 sound to mid-high forward to my ears).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back