E3c Upgrading to Full Sized Cans
Aug 7, 2005 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm wondering which full sized cans in the 'below electrostatic class' generally provide more DETAIL (I know generally IEM's have good detail), speed and attack than the e3c or similar IEM's? Good frequency extension is also a must. All of this assuming it is paired with a good amp that is not insanely priced.

Here are some cans I'm thinking of just in case you guys miss them out:

Sennheiser HD650,
Grado RS-1, 325i, HP-1
Beyer DT880, 990
Sony CD3K, SA5K
AKG 501, K1000
Bose Triports (just kidding)

I personally would favor the Grados. I've been wondering why people are tilted towards Senn's, Sony's and Beyer's (especially in my country) as true audiophile phones. What's lacking in the Grado flavor that would make them less 'audiophile' to ANYONE?

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 4
And yeah, why is the e3c favored so badly? The detail in the e3c with the e-mu 1212m is better than the AT A900 and Senn HD497 IMO.

Aug 7, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi Lojay. I own Shure E3c's and like them, but use them only on airplanes (which I am on a lot for work) because I find any IEM to be somewhat uncomfortable unless using the "yellow foamies". Since these can be used once or twice before needing a new set, it has tended to limit my use of the E3c's. But I think they SOUND terrific!

I would recommend the Sennheiser HD650's if you like the sound of the Shure's. They have the things you are looking for -- good extension, good detail, etc. They are a terrific sounding headphone. I tend to use my Beyer DT770's more because they have stronger bass and I like having the isolation of a sealed can, but by any measure I think the HD650's are the superior headphone. Both the DT770 and the HD650 are supremely comfortable, also.

I own Beyer DT990s, which are also on your list, and while I like them as well, they sound less like the Shure's than the HD650s do. The DT990s are a hot in the treble and have strong bass, but have neither the detail or resolution in the mids that the HD650's have. But they are still really very good sounding.

I hope that helped...

Aug 7, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, the Shure's aren't bad at all IMO. Still, I'm rather interested in the RS-1, coz I once heard the 650 and thought that it was lacking in detail and speed. But considering it's finicky synergy with amps, probably the HD650 works well with your amp, and maybe that's how it's detail come out. How does it's detail compare with the e3c when paired with your Headroom amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back