E2c foamies on EX51
Nov 19, 2004 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

stymie miasma

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just picked up a pair of Sony EX51s for some upcoming air travel. Fiddling around with the supplied silicone sleeves, it appears me ears can tolerate either a small or medium - somewhere in between would be ideal though
wink.gif

That said, I don't find the stock sleeves particularly comfortable, and they have a tendency to slip out. I have read that the Shure E2c foam sleeves are compatible and a step-up in comfort - is this the case? If so, would it be safe to assume that the sizing would be the same as with the Sonys?

TIA!

Nov 19, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 13
I think you got some misinformation. The E2 foams will not fit on the ex51. They may if you can figure out how to take the plastic out of the middle without damaging the foam itself.

Nov 19, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Hmm, that's weird. I read that the Sony EX71/51 and the Shure E2c share the same diameter 'tube', although in the case of the E2c, it was longer, and hence, inserted further into the ear canal.

Clarifications anyone??

Nov 19, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
The e2c silicon tips fit on the ex71s, but not the e2c foam tips.

They actually do fit if you make the E2C hole a bit lagger than they normally are. I tried some foamies on my ex-71's but I didn't like the sound that came from it. Muddy bass and somewhat distorded hights. Nothing to put your DIY-time in I guess...

Nov 19, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks guys, I guess I'll just have to get used to the Sonys! Are the Shure silicone tips any more comfortable than the Sonys?

Nov 19, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
No, the clear Shure tips are nowhere near as comfortable as the supplied EX Sony tips.

This is good to know. Perhaps I should just buy some E2cs so I can use the foamies!
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 13
Now, many would say that I'm insane but I thought the E2c experience was about on par with the ex71/51 experience. I really was unimpressed with the E2c. If you are willing to spend the difference between the ex51 and the E2c, I would try other options first.

Nov 20, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Hmm, well the Shure 2 silicon will fit the Sharp M33s, which shares the Sony stock black rubber sleaves, but the Shure 2 foams will not. It is indeed that innner plastic cone of the Shure that is too tight to "fudge" the difference between Sharp and Shure.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can cram em on, but the wear and tear and the canalphones is significant.

Nov 20, 2004 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Many people here do it the other way around; make the e2 tube thicker and use the E51/71 tips on the E2, for comfort...

Nov 20, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Are the Shure silicone tips any more comfortable than the Sonys?

To increase the comfort of the Sony tips, try Otoferm Comfort Creme. It is a non-absorbing, lubricant/sonic seal made for hearing aids. I use it for my ER6, and it is surprising how much it increases both comfort and sound quality. It is available at: http://store.hearusa.com/cgi-bin/hea...OTHA01021.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back