E2c, ER6i or UM1? (straight from the shuffle)
Oct 29, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 14
I use the ER 6is unamped out of the shuffle and I have no complaints. It sounds great for what it is: my minimalist, walking around town rig. I can't comment with respect to the other phones you listed, however, because I haven't heard them
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 14
I've really grown to re-appreciate Etymotics -- I originally had the ER6's which were polar (bipolar?) opposites of my Sony 51's and 71's. While people don't tend to use "fun sounding" to describe the Etymotics, I will say that my ER6i's isolate excellently (would you need that feature?) and -- with modern music that uses "maxed out" recording technology and massive amounts of bass -- sound a lot more bassy* and "fun" than I would have thought on my 2nd generation Nano. They should be quite good with the Shuffle (the 1st generation -- I can't comment on the one just coming out).

If you want the "boom car" sound, maybe the E2's would be for you, and if you want "fun" sound with an interesting look and braided cords, the UM1's might well be your ticket, based on reviews, your preferences and everyday usage.

While I love my ER6i's, I don't use them as everyday 'phones ... I keep the very "fun sounding" -- and inexpensive -- Creative EP 630's for that purpose, and they work well ... no true isolation, and some cord microphonics, but with the added advantage of being easier to put in and take out when out and about or in the office.

[Edit: *With Etymotic foamies or (especially) short Comply foamies. With flanges, for me, they're harder to get the right isolation, and then the isolation comes and goes as I move my head.

"So er6i handles mids/highs better than the e2c?"

Yes -- lots of detail.]

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 14
I think the ER6i is a bit analytical; the UM1 might be a better choice for a more "fun" sort of sound. I don't consider Etymotics fun, but rather real.

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
I think the ER6i is a bit analytical; the UM1 might be a better choice for a more "fun" sort of sound. I don't consider Etymotics fun, but rather real.

So true! I find Ety's sound cold and analytical, where my UM2 sound just the opposite. Shure's are somewhere in between IMO, but that also depends on the models. From what I've heard, E2C has quite some bass packed in there, and is said to be rolled off in treble.

Oct 31, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
If ER6i is analytical, then its not for me, since it will probably sound dull/flat with a low-fi source and no amp (shuffle).

"Fun" sound to me means, good PRAT, clarity and no congestion/muddiness. Sort of like Grado sound.
rs1smile.gif

Can UM1s do something like that straight from the shuffle?

well, from the ipod nano, the e2cs are too srong in bass and muffle alot of the detail, the er6is are too weak sounding (little bass) to be "fun" i dont really know about the UM1s but i think theyre your best choice

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

"Fun" sound to me means, good PRAT, clarity and no congestion/muddiness. Sort of like Grado sound.
rs1smile.gif

UM1s don't have that Grado treble. In fact, they have hardly enough treble at all.

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

If ER6i is analytical, then its not for me, since it will probably sound dull/flat with a low-fi source and no amp (shuffle).

rs1smile.gif

there's no congestion or muddiness in the er6i at all. if anything, the UM1 sounds a bit more muddy b/c of its lack of good treble. what some have called "analytic" really only means clear and crisp, which is what the er6i is. i use it as my primary portable/bike rig...

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Thats okay.

What about PRAT and clarity?

PRAT and clarity are pretty good, just a slight veil, hardly noticable. Espcially when using them outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back