E18 supported models list (updated on Jan 20th, 2014)!
May 30, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #46 of 74
  Thanks for the update Coq de Combat,

I would have thought that the micro-USB to lightning connector would have worked but maybe the adaptor does not pass the USB digital audio like the Camera Connection kit does. I'm curious which iPhone have you tested this on? I wonder if it would also work on my iPad as well? This little amp\dac looks very promising! and way cheaper then V-Moda's offering!

Thanks again. 

iPhone 5S and iPad 4th gen. Both use iOS 7.1.1 (I think).

Jul 21, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #48 of 74
  You should probably add iPhone 5S and iPad (4th gen) to that list, or do you need to have some sort of official MFI license to claim it? Because it works just fine with mine -- no problems at all, and no finicky settings or anything. Just plug it in via the lightning-to-camera cable, and you're good to go.

Would you mind posting a picture of your rig with iPhone? I have been considering getting the E18 as a gift for a friend who has the ear but not the wallet for audiophilia, he has an iPhone 5S, so I was curious what it might look like connected. Cheers 
k701smile.gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #50 of 74
Does the Fiio E18 work with a Samsung S5? I have an S3, but was considering upgrading to a S5. 

Does it require a different music music player on the phone?

Thanks.
I would think the E18 would work with the S5 no problem irrespective of the playback app. Neutron is the best player though.

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #54 of 74
I can confirm that the Fiio E18 Kunlun works as a DAC flawlessly with my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 Android phone running factory stock firmware (4.4.2).  It works as a DAC with music apps I've tried including Spotify (saw lots of people asking about spotify).  [Play/Pause], [Previous Track], and [Next Track] also work in DAC mode with Spotify and other music apps I've tried.

On PC:
When I have the E18 connected to my PC by USB and I'm using it as an external DAC/Sound card (Windows detected driver as "USB Audio Device" "SPDIF Interface") I noticed an issue with distortion in producing notes (especially highs) in music, a substantial buzz/hiss at all times, and clipping in and out at times.  Was very evident when running the Windows sound test through the Sound Playback Devices Control Panel. (plays a loud ding through each audio channel.)  I noticed this on both my headphones and when using the line out into my speakers from the E18 DAC.  

I found that the distortion/clipping/noise only occurred when the Fiio E18 was set to "PC IN" on the bottom 3-way slider switch.  Setting the switch to "PHONE IN" resolved the issue completely.  When set to "PC IN" the Fiio E18 will also charge over USB.  It seems like there is a lot of noise produced by charging.  I'm curious if the noise is actually coming from my PC and carried over the cable, or if the noise is produced simply by the Fiio being in charge mode.  I don't have an extra cable to test this with right now, but I may try later.

So basically don't charge and listen at the same time, use PHONE IN instead of PC IN.  Probably could of explained all that without being so verbose, but I like being specific to rule out questions...

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #56 of 74
does it support sony z2?

Sep 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #57 of 74
  does it support sony z2?

All I can say is it worked perfectly with my Z1. I don't think it should have a problem. That being said I have caught some clipping on mine with the HTC One M8 after the last update. I really don't think it's the Fiio, I think the upgrade added a little hiccup in the reading of some of my files and with the DAC and amp Fiio can make it sound much louder in my headphones than if I was just running it from the phone. It really does show how much more detail is brought through the Fiio.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back