E11/E12/E18 for Sennheiser Momentum + iPod Classic 7G 160GB Setup
Apr 9, 2014 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Luthus

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking to obtain one of the following FiiO E11/E12/E17 portable DAC/AMPs to hook up with my Sennheiser Momentum and iPod Classic 7G 160GB, I intend to use a FiiO L9 LOD to join them.

Will these improve the sound quality I get out of my iPod Classic through my Momentums?

Momentum Specs: (Source: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphone-momentum-stereo)
Impedance - 18Ω
Frequency response - 16 - 22000 Hz
Sound Pressure Level - 110 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion - < 0.5%
Load rating - 200 mW

I've heard that the E17 doesn't work as a DAC with iDevices due to Apple license requirements, so it will only act as an amp. But, if its still worth getting I will consider it.

Could I get some advice on this?

Cheers,

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 5
I think I've decided to go for the FiiO E12.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 5
An amp wont make much of a difference with the Momentums.  They are very easy to drive and unless you listen really loudly, the amp section of an iPod Classic is more than adequate for it.

I have the Momentums and A/Bed them with an Alo National amp and without.   Couldnt hear a difference.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I see, thanks for your reply!

I find the iPod Classic volume more than enough that I limit my volume to 55-60% of the iPod Classic max volume.

Was under the impression that I could improve sound quality with my iPod and Momentums by adding an Amp, according to the comments on Head-Fi.

Anyways, I put in the order last night(12am) so I could get it before the weekend. Guess I'll live with it :).

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 5
  I see, thanks for your reply!

I find the iPod Classic volume more than enough that I limit my volume to 55-60% of the iPod Classic max volume.

Was under the impression that I could improve sound quality with my iPod and Momentums by adding an Amp, according to the comments on Head-Fi.

Anyways, I put in the order last night(12am) so I could get it before the weekend. Guess I'll live with it :).

It's a Head-Fi thing that an amp is always recommended, no matter what.      There are 3 main benefits of amping:
1/ Ability to drive demanding headphones
2/ Better S/N ratio and dynamic range
3/ Better impedance matching

None of those apply here.

You'll notice i didnt mention sound quality - that is b/c, IMO, competent amps that drive a headphone properly are going to virtually indistinguishable from each other.   

The iPod amp isnt a powerhouse, but it isnt a bad amp either.      The E12 is a powerhouse, but isnt the most refined of amps in terms of having a super-low noise floor.     You dont need that power for Momentums.

That being said, if you buy more demanding cans in the future, it could come handy, so not a bad unit to purchase.   As entry-level amps go, it is a very good unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back