E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Oct 17, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #812 of 1,969
Cables.. I found that this cable does not work:
NEOMUSICIA Replacement Cable For Hifiman HE400S
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT7Y90R/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great on HD700 and Monoprice m1060.
And stock cables from HD700 and Monoprice m1060 work as well with EMU.
Monoprice cable's 2.5 ends are mono, but HD700's ends are stereo and theirs jacks are same length as NEOMUSICIA and stock EMU cable.
But NEOMUSICIA the only one that does not work on EMU

Any ideas why?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #813 of 1,969
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #814 of 1,969
But NEOMUSICIA the only one that does not work on EMU

Any ideas why?

Looking at the 2.5mm connector for the E-MU with the tip pointing upward, the bands from top to bottom are: Signal, Ground.

Typical 2.5mm connectors are: Signal, Signal, Ground (no band)

Plugging a typical 2.5mm cable into the E-MU Teak causes the Ground to short the signal band.

You will need a mono 2.5mm connector. Such as these.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #815 of 1,969
Anybody have thoughts on the E-MUs vs the Focal Elear?

Seems both headphones emphasize lows and they're both easy to drive. I have no doubt the E-MUs are a better value at half the price. But you can find the Elears in great condition for $550 used, which is only $50 off from the E-MUs.

Thoughts?

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #816 of 1,969
I’d say, get the Elears if you’re talking about a $50 difference. They’re far more versatile and scalable. The down side is the Elear will reveal any weaknesses in your set-up. I was never super picky about cables and adapters but I am now.

Oct 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #817 of 1,969
I'd say try to try Elear first.
While everyone I gave Teaks/X00(w Ori pads) to listen were impressed. Different story w Elear, its sound just to there, not only to my taste. I use Burson Conductor and WA7. Maybe I needed 20k amp to run Elear, but I returned mine without 2nd thougths.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #818 of 1,969
Oct 31, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #819 of 1,969
I believe you can ask them to put a 1/4" plug instead of needing an adapter. One of the pictures specifies certain numbers correlating to a different connection.

True. I just wanted the option for both with a shorter cable. Since I ordered my Teaks before the new cable options, I got one of the giant, beefy, stock cables (10ft, 6.3mm plug) Actually, come to think of it, the eBay seller might be add the Sennheiser adapter but I can't be sure. At least it LOOKS like the Sennheiser gold plated 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter. Sound is close to Sennheiser, but the Furutech is the best.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #820 of 1,969
As engrossed in my ZMF Eikons as I've been over the last 9 months, my listening time on the Teak has been neigh zero.

I haven't tried an attenuation ring, but wouldn't mind giving it a try. If someone wants to ship me some, I'll do a review on the various ZMF, Brainwavz, stock, Audeze, and Mr.Speakers pads I have. I'll ship the rings back when finished.

Otherwise, I don't see the value in spending more $ on these. Sorry.

How do the Eikons stack against the Teaks? I have Eikons and just purchased the Teaks as it's something I've always wanted to try.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #821 of 1,969
How do the Eikons stack against the Teaks? I have Eikons and just purchased the Teaks as it's something I've always wanted to try.

I have the Teaks (currently F.S.)...and heard the Eikon pretty extensively on multiple amps. Honestly, these headphones couldn't be more different.

Teaks: They're closed and sound/act like closed. They have a slightly warm, organic sound--the treble has energy, but is not hyped like the very similar Fostex TX-00s. The bass is the real star here: some of the best bass quantity/quality I've ever heard overall (some amps really nail the bass more than others). Sub-bass isn't very present, but the whole rest of the bass register is truly excellent, hitting hard and staying tuneful. Midrange is slightly recessed, but not enough to be objectionable. Treble is quite good--lots of detail w/only a tiny bit of that Fostex TX-00 glare (amp dependent). The treble seems more grainless and relaxed than the TX-00's. Soundstaging is average to maybe a little better, but it's not the strong suit of this design. These are really excellent headphones IMO. If I'd run into them 2 years ago, my "headphone journey" might have gone differently.

Eikon: We're in the big leagues now. Everything on the Eikon is a little bigger & better than the Teaks. Bass is crazy good, including more sub-bass than I've ever heard. Quality/quantity of bass (all through the bass register) is impeccable IMO. Midrange is a HUGE place w/the Eikons--more detail & nuance than I've ever heard in headphones, but w/o edginess/brightness. Upper midrange and treble can sound a little sharp (this is amp dependent), but the amount of musical detail (all very accurate & pleasing in timbral/tonality terms) is very high. The soundstaging is truly world-class, the most I've ever heard form a (mostly) closed design. The Eikon is totally musical, yet accurate: it really "schooled" me on headphone quality & technicalities.

Both headphones are well worth owning/enjoying. The only reason I'm selling the Teaks is that they're duplicative of other HPs on hand--plus I've been jonesing for the Atticus (or maybe Autuer) for some time. The Eikon made me very eager to hear both. I gravitate towards warm, bassy, musical HPs, so Atticus may be my "Waterloo."

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #822 of 1,969
T
I have the Teaks (currently F.S.)...and heard the Eikon pretty extensively on multiple amps. Honestly, these headphones couldn't be more different.

Teaks: They're closed and sound/act like closed. They have a slightly warm, organic sound--the treble has energy, but is not hyped like the very similar Fostex TX-00s. The bass is the real star here: some of the best bass quantity/quality I've ever heard overall (some amps really nail the bass more than others). Sub-bass isn't very present, but the whole rest of the bass register is truly excellent, hitting hard and staying tuneful. Midrange is slightly recessed, but not enough to be objectionable. Treble is quite good--lots of detail w/only a tiny bit of that Fostex TX-00 glare (amp dependent). The treble seems more grainless and relaxed than the TX-00's. Soundstaging is average to maybe a little better, but it's not the strong suit of this design. These are really excellent headphones IMO. If I'd run into them 2 years ago, my "headphone journey" might have gone differently.

Eikon: We're in the big leagues now. Everything on the Eikon is a little bigger & better than the Teaks. Bass is crazy good, including more sub-bass than I've ever heard. Quality/quantity of bass (all through the bass register) is impeccable IMO. Midrange is a HUGE place w/the Eikons--more detail & nuance than I've ever heard in headphones, but w/o edginess/brightness. Upper midrange and treble can sound a little sharp (this is amp dependent), but the amount of musical detail (all very accurate & pleasing in timbral/tonality terms) is very high. The soundstaging is truly world-class, the most I've ever heard form a (mostly) closed design. The Eikon is totally musical, yet accurate: it really "schooled" me on headphone quality & technicalities.

Both headphones are well worth owning/enjoying. The only reason I'm selling the Teaks is that they're duplicative of other HPs on hand--plus I've been jonesing for the Atticus (or maybe Autuer) for some time. The Eikon made me very eager to hear both. I gravitate towards warm, bassy, musical HPs, so Atticus may be my "Waterloo."

Thanks for the impressions. I definitely concur on your assessment of the Eikon. Vocals on this thing are amazing.. and so I've been really trying to figure out what I want in a headphone regarding sound, size, weight, and comfort. I LOVE my Eikons even though they get slightly sibiliant at times. It is technically awesome and very musical. Bass rumbles hard here. If the Teaks don't cut it for the price I'll likely just resell them. I haven't found a more engaging headphone than the Eikon. I was hoping the Teaks would be enough for me in terms of sound quality so I could sell of my Eikon but I don't know how likely that will be.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #823 of 1,969
T

Thanks for the impressions. I definitely concur on your assessment of the Eikon. Vocals on this thing are amazing.. and so I've been really trying to figure out what I want in a headphone regarding sound, size, weight, and comfort. I LOVE my Eikons even though they get slightly sibiliant at times. It is technically awesome and very musical. Bass rumbles hard here. If the Teaks don't cut it for the price I'll likely just resell them. I haven't found a more engaging headphone than the Eikon. I was hoping the Teaks would be enough for me in terms of sound quality so I could sell of my Eikon but I don't know how likely that will be.

This is where headphone audio gets totally subjective...ie, do all your headphones have to be "perfect" (ie, come as close to your ideal as possible)? Or can they do different things in different ways, and still give enjoyment?

Besides the Teaks, I have 3 headphones right that are totally different in price/design (ZMF Ori; Fidelio X2s; Marantz MPH-2s). Each is wonderful in its own way; I can't imagine selling any of them. While I would never mistake the ultimate sonic quality of, say, the X2s compared to the Ori, that's OK--it's not a contest. They both push my buttons, but in slightly different ways.

I'm really drawn to the Atticus (which I haven't yet heard)--just know it would be a big-league headphone sound, very pleasing to me (ie, great technicalities AND fun). But I'm also drawn to high-end open backs...there's just something about open. Point is, as long as the next pair of headphones somehow "slots in" to my preferences, it'll work out fine. Guess this is a little car collecting--each one is a beauty, but they're all different.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #824 of 1,969
This is where headphone audio gets totally subjective...ie, do all your headphones have to be "perfect" (ie, come as close to your ideal as possible)? Or can they do different things in different ways, and still give enjoyment?

Besides the Teaks, I have 3 headphones right that are totally different in price/design (ZMF Ori; Fidelio X2s; Marantz MPH-2s). Each is wonderful in its own way; I can't imagine selling any of them. While I would never mistake the ultimate sonic quality of, say, the X2s compared to the Ori, that's OK--it's not a contest. They both push my buttons, but in slightly different ways.

I'm really drawn to the Atticus (which I haven't yet heard)--just know it would be a big-league headphone sound, very pleasing to me (ie, great technicalities AND fun). But I'm also drawn to high-end open backs...there's just something about open. Point is, as long as the next pair of headphones somehow "slots in" to my preferences, it'll work out fine. Guess this is a little car collecting--each one is a beauty, but they're all different.

That's a good question... I suppose I'm okay with having muliple and for that I would have a range. I just sold my Aeon Closed but, I also have an Elear. Idk why but I really like the Elear despite it's faults. It's an interesting pair for sure but I think that's why I like it. I'm still pretty new to all this I'd say so at the moment I'm not exactly sure what I want, which is why I've been trying out many headphones haha. I think I'd really like the Hifiman HeX V2 for an open pair as I want that airy, spacious presentation with a tight slam. I really liked the He560s

I've been looking into the Atticus as well, now that I've heard the Eikon.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #825 of 1,969
The Eikon didn't open as wide as I'd like when I tested them. Sounded great but yes, a bit of a treble spike. The Teak's treble lift is a bit higher in frequency and less than the other similar Fostex. While the bass is more controlled, having less mid bass bump than the Fostex and less subs, I find the sub bass extends really well, it's just not overly boosted, but that's to my ears, and my own experiences with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back