E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
May 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #181 of 1,969
  Definitely was considering those as well. The lowered price is also pretty enticing. Do you know how the pair with a schiit magni/modi stack? Don't plan on upgrading amp/dac anytime soon really

Has anyone compared the teaks with either of the senns? I obviously assume they'll be pretty different but I'm just curious

I ran an HD650 from a Magni/Modi stack for a few months and enjoyed them.  The schiit stack will have plenty of power for them.  I haven't heard the Teaks yet, as I'm waiting for the detachable cable version.

You description of wanting a balanced headphone with just a small amount of extra bass perfectly describes the HD650.  They won't have as much bass as the Foster variants, but it does have just a tiny bit extra mid bass.

May 30, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #182 of 1,969

I ran an HD650 from a Magni/Modi stack for a few months and enjoyed them.  The schiit stack will have plenty of power for them.  I haven't heard the Teaks yet, as I'm waiting for the detachable cable version.

You description of wanting a balanced headphone with just a small amount of extra bass perfectly describes the HD650.  They won't have as much bass as the Foster variants, but it does have just a tiny bit extra mid bass.

I remember wanting the hd650 back 4 years ago, when i opted to go for the HE-400 instead. Interesting how things came around really

My only worry is I might be setting myself up for disappointment by going from the He-400 to the 650 in terms of bass, as for the most part i really enjoyed the bass of the HE-400, as well as the warmth, which may be weird to say as i said i thought the bass could be too much earlier (i think that might be simply because of the recessed mids more than anything). I'm thinking of just getting a pair of HD650's off amazon and returning them if i don't like them

May 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #183 of 1,969
Eh I would say the Teak can reach similar depths in the low to the THX00.

Here's my measurements: http://i.imgur.com/xhY8mhI.png

The Teak basically covers everything I need for a bass heavy headphone but also remains balanced. It's barely even even U shaped. Its getting all my listening time and the THX00 (with Ebony cups) is gathering dust.

So I'm selling my THX00 and getting a TH500RP since it's on sale. Going to mod the baffles to fithe my Ebony cups and start adding more mods to them.

Also ignore the weird imbalance of THX00 that image is older. I have an updated one at home on my computer it was caused by a bad seal in the left side.

May 30, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #184 of 1,969
Definitely was considering those as well. The lowered price is also pretty enticing. Do you know how the pair with a schiit magni/modi stack? Don't plan on upgrading amp/dac anytime soon really

Has anyone compared the teaks with either of the senns? I obviously assume they'll be pretty different but I'm just curious

Very different but not as far apart as you might imagine. They're both very smooth, IMHO. HD650 pairs pretty well with the modi/Magni, IMHO. As the smoothness of the HD650 tames some of the harshness of the Modi/Magni.

Compared to the Teak (keep in mind I've only spent about two hours listening to the Teak and I haven't owned the HD650 in nearly a year):

Bass extension: Teak > HD650
Bass quantity: teak > HD650
Bass quality: teak = HD650
Mid forwardness: HD650 > Teak
Mid resolution: HD650 >> Teak
Treble resolution: Teak > HD650
Treble smoothness: HD650 > Teak
Treble extension: Hd650 > Teak
Speed: Teak > HD650
Soundstage width: Teak = HD650
Soundstage depth: HD650 >> Teak
Imaging accuracy: HD650 > Teak

However I would say that the Teak is probably, along with the Ether C, probably the closest thing to a closed HD650 you will find.

May 30, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #185 of 1,969
Very different but not as far apart as you might imagine. They're both very smooth, IMHO. HD650 pairs pretty well with the modi/Magni, IMHO. As the smoothness of the HD650 tames some of the harshness of the Modi/Magni.

Compared to the Teak (keep in mind I've only spent about two hours listening to the Teak and I haven't owned the HD650 in nearly a year):

Bass extension: Teak > HD650
Bass quantity: teak > HD650
Bass quality: teak = HD650
Treble resolution: Teak > HD650
Treble smoothness: HD650 > Teak
Treble extension: Hd650 > Teak
Speed: Teak > HD650
Soundstage width: Teak = HD650
Soundstage depth: HD650 >> Teak
Imaging accuracy: HD650 > Teak

However I would say that the Teak is probably, along with the Ether C, probably the closest thing to a closed HD650 you will find.

Man this only makes the decision harder lol. I guess it's the question of open vs closed as well as sound signature

Though i will say that i was told by Chan that the offer for the $475 teaks ends today and I won't be able to buy anything until wednesday, so i have no idea if i'm even able to buy the teaks 

May 31, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #186 of 1,969

I find the mid frequency of my Teak does come forward and "open up" to resolve better after about 10 hours of listening. Though I cannot say my Teak is sounding as same as stock because I I have inadvertently done the "foam ring rotation" mod to my Teak, as I found the foam rings were not aligned the same on both sides... I couldn't tell what the stock alignment position of the foam rings were. Thus I aligned the both foam rings at the "most bass and open sounding" position as recommended on the TH-900 mod thread.

May 31, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #187 of 1,969
I find the mid frequency of my Teak does come forward and "open up" to resolve better after about 10 hours of listening. Though I cannot say my Teak is sounding as same as stock because I I have inadvertently done the "foam ring rotation" mod to my Teak, as I found the foam rings were not aligned the same on both sides... I couldn't tell what the stock alignment position of the foam rings were. Thus I aligned the both foam rings at the "most bass and open sounding" position as recommended on the TH-900 mod thread.

Yeah, the teak is pretty mid forward, just quite not HD650 levels, which is one of the best midrange headphones of all time.

May 31, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #188 of 1,969
The lack of sound stage depth is probably the only weakness of the Teak. It is quite "left-right" sounding even with the Audeze Vegan pads. I think the shape of the Teak sound stage is quite similar to my HE-500 before the "black pearl" mod

May 31, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #189 of 1,969
Hey might be somewhere on that thread but I'll just ask. I pre-ordered the TH-X00 Purple heart, would like to eventually try a teak cup on that. Are the wooden cups available outside of massdrop and can be purchased separately just for the cups?  Also, It seams to be it but, so the TH-X00 and the EMU wood series have differents drivers in them? 

May 31, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #190 of 1,969
Hey might be somewhere on that thread but I'll just ask. I pre-ordered the TH-X00 Purple heart, would like to eventually try a teak cup on that. Are the wooden cups available outside of massdrop and can be purchased separately just for the cups?  Also, It seams to be it but, so the TH-X00 and the EMU wood series have differents drivers in them? 

From my understanding, can only buy emu cups if you purchased an emu headphone. Drivers are the same, however the magnet strength is different.

May 31, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #191 of 1,969

This has been talked to death on this thread. anyways.

1. Teak cups are exclusive to EMU Teak headphone. Teak cups cannot be be perchased seperately.

2. Ebony and Rosewood can be purchased separately but only to EMU headphone owners and no one else.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #192 of 1,969
I noticed this thread is very focused on the flagship Teak model but is there much feedback on the Walnut? I bought the Walnut today along with my first DAC (Creative Sound Blaster E5) as a bundle and it feels like a huge leg up compared to what I'm used to hearing before...

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #193 of 1,969
I noticed this thread is very focused on the flagship Teak model but is there much feedback on the Walnut? I bought the Walnut today along with my first DAC (Creative Sound Blaster E5) as a bundle and it feels like a huge leg up compared to what I'm used to hearing before...

I have them and they're very good. Best incarnation of the Foster 40mm bio dyna series (i.e. Denon D1001 & creative aurvana live). They lack some bass extension and bass tightness and the soundstage isn't great, but otherwise are incredible. Great value at ~$100 depending on when/how you buy them. The walnut cups look great and seem to add a bit of clarity, resolution and speed (less ringing) than the plastic cups in the D1001 and CAL!

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #194 of 1,969
So my Teaks arrived but I have to immediately send them back to Singapore because the left channel has died. They worked fine for an hour or so and sounded really good but then the left channel got progressively quieter over a few tracks until there was nothing at all coming out of the left side. I am super bummed out. Chan at EMU has been super helpful but I'm thinking about just asking for a refund. My main concern is the packaging. They shipped me the item in the black box containing the headphones just wrapped in paper, no extra padding around the box like you normally find. Chan said that should have been enough but I don't think its sufficient. I asked Chan if they could send a replacement with more secure packaging so I'll see what he says. Any thoughts? Before you ask, I tested the amp with other cans and no issues so I know its a bad left driver. Its strange because the left driver on my Audio Technica R70x also failed. 

Jun 4, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #195 of 1,969
I have them and they're very good. Best incarnation of the Foster 40mm bio dyna series (i.e. Denon D1001 & creative aurvana live). They lack some bass extension and bass tightness and the soundstage isn't great, but otherwise are incredible. Great value at ~$100 depending on when/how you buy them. The walnut cups look great and seem to add a bit of clarity, resolution and speed (less ringing) than the plastic cups in the D1001 and CAL!

Have you heard the Senn Momentums? Would be interested in how they compare with the walnut. I currently have the Momentums v1 but find them a little to dark. Not enough treble energy up top even though I like a smooth high end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back