E-MU 0404 USB Problems w/ audio "skipping" (ASIO/Foobar2k.)
Mar 26, 2008 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

refault

100+ Head-Fier
When playing back music in foobar2000, I get minor "clips" or "broken record" sounds once in a while. This is usually when I am scrolling with my mouse a lot or opening new programs, etc. To fix it I have to either pause or stop the song/music that is playing in Foobar2k and start it up again (if it's a constant "broken record" sound.) It isn't THAT bad, and happens once in a while... but when it does it can be annoying/a burden to think about my music "crackling."

I have ASIO set at 50ms latency, 24-bit.

Just setup the E-MU 0404 USB (external audio device) today, latest drivers and firmware. Running ASIO through foobar.

Vista Prof. 32-bit.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz
2gb onboard RAM w/ 4gb added (6gb DDR400 @ 400mhz altogether.)
nVidia GeForce 8600M GS (onboard.)
Realtek onboard sound card/driver installed (use it when not listening to headphone/for Youtube/etc. anything non-ASIO or Foobar2k related.)

I am running this through a laptop which runs the Intel Wireless 4965AGN onboard 802.11g. I have heard about problems due to wifi on laptops causing similar audio problems, as USB Audio devices tend to be VERY pesky/critical of every setting... so I was wondering do you think this could be my culprit? I have turned down the priority of the onboard 802.11g down to 3 with not much success.

I also have a USB mouse and the iPhone dock charger (with the iPhone currently in the dock) connected to the onboard USB 2.0 ports. I am not 100% sure because I forgot the program name off hand (and if someone could help me out with that, <333), but I do believe the USB port that I attached the EMU 0404 to isn't on a "USB hub" nor is it sharing the a hub with the other two attached USB devices.

Does anyone have any ideas towards my problem? I don't know if the chipset is up-to-date (laptop), but unless there was a release after Sept. 2007 for this particular chipset then I shouldn't have issues. I need to use wi-fi for internet access and can't really part with it unfortunatly. The location of my network router is unfortunatly in an area where I can't do a "test" (CAT-5 -> instead of wifi) and listen to music at the same time.

I have already read some threads on how to alleviate this problem but I want to be able to get other ideas/opinions on as to what to do.

Thanks for any help!
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: I also had this issue on my old laptop... although it was a lot worse and hence I gave up on using it on the laptop. That laptop was on an AMD chipset running XP-pro. I currently am testing out the E-MU 0404 as the only USB device connected (removed my Logitech Optical Mouse, which may be a problem... it's old, those generic Logitech optical wheel mice, and also removed my iPhone/iPod dock.)

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 2
Several questions.....

If you disable your wireless card--either by turning it off with a physical switch or within Vista--does that eliminate the problem?

Have you run DPC Latency Checker? Just Google that string for the download site, it's a little app that you don't have to install--simply unzip to your desktop and run. Unsure if it works on Vista, but worth a shot. It will show you if there are any latency issues that prevent consistent audio streaming.

Did you use "USBView" from Microsoft to look at your USB device info?

And more out of curiosity....what version of Foobar are you running? Seems as if 0.9.x versions have iffy ASIO support, settings keep getting lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back