DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 19, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #14,041 of 14,084
OK... I have had the DX90 for years and love it. Great sound. Simple... just a great DAP.

Lately, it has had an issue scanning SD cards and just reboots when I ask it to scan. Takes several reboots until it finally decides it will scan the card. (Yes, with all types and sizes. And yes, I have Factory Reset it many times).

Anyone else have this issue? If so... is there a fix? It's more annoying than critical, but I'd love for it to go back to just scanning when directed to.

Thanks
You may want to reload the firmware or use the Batch Tool to do a wipe of the DX and then use the .img firmware with it to do a factory install.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 19, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #14,042 of 14,084
OK... I have had the DX90 for years and love it. Great sound. Simple... just a great DAP.

Lately, it has had an issue scanning SD cards and just reboots when I ask it to scan. Takes several reboots until it finally decides it will scan the card. (Yes, with all types and sizes. And yes, I have Factory Reset it many times).

Anyone else have this issue? If so... is there a fix? It's more annoying than critical, but I'd love for it to go back to just scanning when directed to.

Thanks
I still use my DX90 as my primary DAP and have not had the issues you are describing. I am on FW 2.4.0 since there were some minor issues with 2.5.1 that have not been fixed.

Could there be issues with your SD cards? I imagine you have already tried multiple cards and reloading of music or reformatting to eliminate those as possible sources...

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #14,044 of 14,084
I still use my DX90 as my primary DAP and have not had the issues you are describing. I am on FW 2.4.0 since there were some minor issues with 2.5.1 that have not been fixed.

Could there be issues with your SD cards? I imagine you have already tried multiple cards and reloading of music or reformatting to eliminate those as possible sources...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks but yes, all kinds of SD cards tried, same results... it's not the cards.
Paul has been very helpful with getting me to use the batch tool... which I'll do this weekend.
Thanks

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #14,045 of 14,084
Used the Batch Tool, wiped it clean, re-installed 2.5.1 (L2), and it scanned the first SD card on the first try.

Thanks all (esp. iBasso Paul) for the assistance!

Cheers

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #14,048 of 14,084
Used the Batch Tool, wiped it clean, re-installed 2.5.1 (L2), and it scanned the first SD card on the first try.

Thanks all (esp. iBasso Paul) for the assistance!

Cheers

After a couple weeks of working flawlessly, it's back to where it was...
After batchtool-ing it several times, with several different firmware versions... it still reboots as soon as I ask it to scan the card. It will do it on its own when I go to play a track (annoying), but will not scan the SD card (and yes, I've tried several) when told to do so.
It just reboots... and reboots. grrrrr....

Anyone have this happen to them?

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #14,049 of 14,084
After a couple weeks of working flawlessly, it's back to where it was...
After batchtool-ing it several times, with several different firmware versions... it still reboots as soon as I ask it to scan the card. It will do it on its own when I go to play a track (annoying), but will not scan the SD card (and yes, I've tried several) when told to do so.
It just reboots... and reboots. grrrrr....

Anyone have this happen to them?

1. Reformat your SD Card with this tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/eula_windows/index.html
2. Leave at least 200MB free space at the SD Card for DX90 to build the library and thumbnail

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #14,050 of 14,084
1. Reformat your SD Card with this tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/eula_windows/index.html
2. Leave at least 200MB free space at the SD Card for DX90 to build the library and thumbnail
I appreciate these suggestions, but I went through hours of trial and error with cards from 16 to 400 GB in various stages of fill and formatting.
As soon as I clicked OK (under Rescan Library), it wouldn't immediately reboot. Would not scan until I went to play a track or open a folder.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #14,053 of 14,084
if you are still there, I like 2.1.5L2 but it lacks bass a lot. Is it normal? thanks
The problem (and challenge) is, there's no "normal" sound. It all depends on your own preferences. For my ears I prefer 2.1.5.L2 for an open, balanced sound. But this could be to "light"sounding for your ears, it's really just personal preferences.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #14,054 of 14,084
The problem (and challenge) is, there's no "normal" sound. It all depends on your own preferences. For my ears I prefer 2.1.5.L2 for an open, balanced sound. But this could be to "light"sounding for your ears, it's really just personal preferences.
Recently I upgraded from the DX90 to a DX220 (when it was first released) but before that my DX90 was my primary DAP since I bought it back in July 2014. So almost 5 years of great music and listening enjoyment with my DX90...

So with that said, I stuck with 2.4.0 stock FW - had upgraded to 2.5.1 but because of a few issues went back to 2.4.0 (don't recall them being related to sound quality though - I posted my inputs here on the forums so you can search for them if you are interested). Soundwise I do recall there being some noticeable changes in the early FW updates, at least to my ears, but I never backtracked because I liked a prior FW sound better. For whatever it's worth - 2.4.0 sounds great to me.

I never did try any of the customized FW options out there so can't provide any meaningful feedback on how those might sound compared to iBasso FW.

Cheers,
Tim

Aug 21, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #14,055 of 14,084
Still use my DX90 a lot with a Mojo, it gets a lot of abuse, so far no connection/input has failed, which is quite something compared to most DAPs I've had.
No itch to upgrade it as a transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back