DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 23, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #13,651 of 14,084
@Fabi
Can you share before and after the mod in sq?
Will do later my friend. I have to find my personal impressions I wrote 3 months ago.

So how would you compare this new 2.5.1 firmware to the old 2.1.5 in terms of sound quality?

I use the lurker0 ultimate cleanup version of 2.1.5

A long time ago I used a lot 2.1.5L2. I retried it recently, it was a little too analytical for my taste.
Now you make me curious to try 2.1.5L4 this evening.
Right now 2.5.1L0 is simply perfect for me.

Btw after changing firmware, don't forget to delete the update file, do a factory reset in settings. I also do a manual factory reset in recovery mode to be sure.

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #13,652 of 14,084
Jun 23, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #13,654 of 14,084
Jun 23, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #13,655 of 14,084

Firmware version 2.5.1L0/L1 is available as well.

DAC Windows 7 64 bits does not work anymore with 2.5.1 L0. Works with 2.5.1 official. Will make a test with 2.5.1 L1

In brief: USB DAC works in 2.5.1L0 under Windows 7 64-bit!

I have Windows 7 64-bit in the office. Note, that it was my very first time with DX90 as USB DAC for Windows!

First I installed the latest drivers from iBasso site, then connected the player. The device manager showed two devices: DX90 (as "can't start") and "iBasso Mango HiFi Audio Device". foobar2000 didn't show anything  new to choose from. Then I flashed the stock 2.5.1 and found out the same set of devices. Then - yes! - I've read the manual (Instruction.pdf) 
biggrin.gif
It didn't help but gave me a hint: I've installed the driver for "DX90" device by manually selecting "Mango USB Interface" from "iBasso, Inc.". Then it switched to the picture from the manual, and I found "WASAPI (event): Speakers (iBasso Mango HiFi Audio Device)" in foobar2000, and it played back some tracks flawlessly.

Then I flashed 2.5.1L0 back, connected it, and it continued working without a glitch. Then, just in case, while I'm here, I re-attached DX90, but to a USB 3.0 port which is implemented as a separate chip on the motherboard. Again, it started working immediatelly without any additional efforts.

So, the only problem was how to install the drivers right way.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #13,656 of 14,084

In brief: USB DAC works in 2.5.1L0 under Windows 7 64-bit!

I have Windows 7 64-bit in the office. Note, that it was my very first time with DX90 as USB DAC for Windows!

First I installed the latest drivers from iBasso site, then connected the player. The device manager showed two devices: DX90 (as "can't start") and "iBasso Mango HiFi Audio Device". foobar2000 didn't show anything  new to choose from. Then I flashed the stock 2.5.1 and found out the same set of devices. Then - yes! - I've read the manual (Instruction.pdf) 
biggrin.gif
It didn't help but gave me a hint: I've installed the driver for "DX90" device by manually selecting "Mango USB Interface" from "iBasso, Inc.". Then it switched to the picture from the manual, and I found "WASAPI (event): Speakers (iBasso Mango HiFi Audio Device)" in foobar2000, and it played back some tracks flawlessly.

Then I flashed 2.5.1L0 back, connected it, and it continued working without a glitch. Then, just in case, while I'm here, I re-attached DX90, but to a USB 3.0 port which is implemented as a separate chip on the motherboard. Again, it started working immediatelly without any additional efforts.

So, the only problem was how to install the drivers right way.

Very strange: it worked with your previous L0, works with 2.5.1 but does not work for me with 2.5.1 L0 (test on iBasso device is OK). I will donwload it again and make another test.

Test OK. Sorry for this - don't know what happened.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #13,657 of 14,084

Test OK. Sorry for this - don't know what happened.

No problem, at least finally I've tried this feature myself and could test it next time
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #13,658 of 14,084

No problem, at least finally I've tried this feature myself and could test it next time
wink.gif

Congrats 
biggrin.gif
, I've never tried usb dac feature 
rolleyes.gif

@Fabi
Can you share before and after the mod in sq?

My personal opinion after modding:

- sound is more airy, less congested, soundstage is wider.
- sound is more refined, notes have more weight, bass is deeper, detailed, not boomy, male and female vocals are slightly better, treble is more detailed with good extensions
- impression of more power on HO and LO
- gain doesn't change sound signature anymore (mid-gain V shape, high-gain warm), more precisely it's almost not noticeable. Before that I could'nt use mid gain, now it's always on.

So how would you compare this new 2.5.1 firmware to the old 2.1.5 in terms of sound quality?

I use the lurker0 ultimate cleanup version of 2.1.5

Some updated impressions with 2.5.1 L0, on some tracks, female vocals can still sound harsh on S words but less than on 2.4.0 L1.

I retried quickly other firmwares with ultimate cleanup on my modded DX90:

- 2.1.5 L4: analytical, bright sound, very good highs
- 2.4.0 L1: balanced sound but slightly warm on bass and lower midrange
- 2.5.1 L0: most balanced sound, according to Ibasso, they updated WAV, FLAC, DSD decoding engine. Sound is more neutral and seems to have more resolution and transparency, soundstage has more height/depth now, which is very good.

Depending on personal preference and synergy with gear, one of these firmwares would suit your taste. That's why it is preferable to try it yourself. I just can say what I hear.
I prefer using 2.5.0 L0 pairing with slighty warm headphones 
wink.gif

Btw, I didn't like stock 2.5.1.. rather flat, veiled and not very good extensions. 
blink.gif
 Maybe it's just me.

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #13,661 of 14,084
Congrats :D , I've never tried usb dac feature :rolleyes:

My personal opinion after modding:

- sound is more airy, less congested, soundstage is wider.
- sound is more refined, notes have more weight, bass is deeper, detailed, not boomy, male and female vocals are slightly better, treble is more detailed with good extensions
- impression of more power on HO and LO
- gain doesn't change sound signature anymore (mid-gain V shape, high-gain warm), more precisely it's almost not noticeable. Before that I could'nt use mid gain, now it's always on.

Some updated impressions with 2.5.1 L0, on some tracks, female vocals can still sound harsh on S words but less than on 2.4.0 L1.

I retried quickly other firmwares with ultimate cleanup on my modded DX90:

- 2.1.5 L4: analytical, bright sound, very good highs
- 2.4.0 L1: balanced sound but slightly warm on bass and lower midrange
- 2.5.1 L0: most balanced sound, according to Ibasso, they updated WAV, FLAC, DSD decoding engine. Sound is more neutral and seems to have more resolution and transparency, soundstage has more height/depth now, which is very good.

Depending on personal preference and synergy with gear, one of these firmwares would suit your taste. That's why it is preferable to try it yourself. I just can say what I hear.
I prefer using 2.5.0 L0 pairing with slighty warm headphones :wink:
Btw, I didn't like stock 2.5.1.. rather flat, veiled and not very good extensions. :blink:  Maybe it's just me.

Agreed on the impression. The new L1 firmware really brought a sound that is able to compete with more modern Dap. Glad this came out, glad that I hang on to the DX90.

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #13,663 of 14,084
Jun 27, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #13,665 of 14,084
Just upgraded to factory FW 2.5.1
A bit off topic...I used DX90 as a source for my car audio via an analogue AUX line in. It does not sound as good.
Has anyone tried this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back