DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 28, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #11,656 of 14,084
  I like Linus, and he was ragging on the whole hi-res file part more than the actual player. There are a lot of debates on the whole 24/192 stuff on this site - which shows that there is a lot of speculation among the "audiophile" community as well.

Pretty much!

DR is very important. It's all about excessive compression...

Mar 28, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #11,657 of 14,084
I do Ibasso did send me 5. And i paid for it. I guess its an investment.

No because it annoys me and I don't carry the DX90 with me anyway

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #11,658 of 14,084

I can't get by the shape, the high output impedance, no matter what you say, that can skew the freq response. I wouldn't mind seeing one and listening to see if I would change my mind but frankly, I don't think there is really an excuse for 4 ohms on the output. but again, obviously I am open to different daps and functions. I must be with all that I own now. lol 

Just use hp's over 40 ohm so no skew occurs
tongue.gif
 like 60 ohm Portapro, the Pono sounds amazing with Portapro, outclasses DX90 and ZX1 easily with this pairing 
cool.gif
 I'm happy to own the Pono just for this pairing alone haha, it has replaced my ZX1 and DX90 as my gym dap, it has a similar airy and open sound like ZX1 but demolishes it in terms of FR balance, texture, timbre, decay, naturalness etc. The Pono is definitely the most airy and open non Sony dap I've heard. Sony is still ahead in the quick, open, airy stakes, but the Pono is a close second and has a much more palpable sense to it's sound, and more power and balanced output.

Overall I recommend you not to buy it because you already have enough daps 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #11,659 of 14,084

Just use hp's over 40 ohm so no skew occurs
tongue.gif
 like 60 ohm Portapro, the Pono sounds amazing with Portapro, outclasses DX90 and ZX1 easily with this pairing

cool.gif

most iems and mobile hps are 32 Ohms or lower. Some has wild impedance swings that can get very low. By that logic you limit your headphone options just to justify getting a Pono. To my ears Porta pro seems to favor sources with a flat or slightly rolled off bass. It sounded better straight from my iPod nano 6th gen than DX90. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #11,660 of 14,084
^ Well yeah if you are super worried about the whole output impedance thing, but I'd say you should not worry and just try stuff out, as I said before, someone likes 8 ohm SE846 with Pono, versus his low impedance X5, so its all subjective.

I'm using 32 ohm DT770 right now comparing Pono and DX90, the Pono is more musical, treble is more detailed, fleshed out, refined than DX90, mids are more fleshed out and enveloping on Pono, DX90 mids are further back, bass of the Pono has a more refined touch than DX90, again, it comes across as more musical and detailed. Imaging and air is superior on Pono. DX90 sounds a bit "hyped" in comparison to Pono's more effortless soundscape.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #11,662 of 14,084
DR is very important. It's all about excessive compression...

It's been explained time and time again that 24 bit is overkill for play back. It is used for recording/editing/mastering but once the final track is done there is no point keeping it at 24 bit.
I never read an explanation that is good for me.

Even speaking about a periodical signal, it has at least 3 parameters: frequency, amplitude and phase. Those explanations are all about freqency response (almost good) and dynamic range (very weak), but never about phase precision. Just open your favorite explanation and search for "phase" to fail :wink:

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #11,664 of 14,084
There are people much more experienced and informative than I about this subject in  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]
That thread won't be 3000 pages long if it was a really weaknessless explanation why 16 bits is enough. There are people who still think that the Sun goes around the Earth, but there are no 3000-pages long discussions with no a consensus :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #11,666 of 14,084
There are people much more experienced and informative than I about this subject in  [CONTENTEMBED=/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED] 

I know I can't hear any differences and we will leave it at that :)

Lucky you, your life will be simpler and certainly cheaper :grinning:

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #11,667 of 14,084
UM Merlins out of the DX90. There are 24 bit tracks that are mastered differently, those do sound different and it's noticeable right away. But if you take that same mastering and down sample it I doubt you would hear anything different. If you do for whatever reason, and prefer to listen to 24 bit that's cool.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #11,668 of 14,084
  UM Merlins out of the DX90. There are 24 bit tracks that are mastered differently, those do sound different and it's noticeable right away. But if you take that same mastering and down sample it I doubt you would hear anything different. If you do for whatever reason, and prefer to listen to 24 bit that's cool.

Yes.
However, downsampling (and upsampling) can be detrimental to the sound if it's done poorly.
I prefer to keep my needle drop rips at 24 bit because that's how they were recorded.

And to bring this back to the DX90... that's a major reason for me purchasing a high quality DAP... to play these files as they were recorded.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #11,669 of 14,084

Yes.
However, downsampling (and upsampling) can be detrimental to the sound if it's done poorly.
I prefer to keep my needle drop rips at 24 bit because that's how they were recorded.

And to bring this back to the DX90... that's a major reason for me purchasing a high quality DAP... to play these files as they were recorded.

Is there a point to upsampling a downsampled file?  Wouldn't the resulting file be just the same quality as the new higher bit file?  The information was lost afterall.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #11,670 of 14,084
  Is there a point to upsampling a downsampled file?  Wouldn't the resulting file be just the same quality as the new higher bit file?  The information was lost afterall.

There has been a debate about this for some time. I don't see any positive to upsampling. Some say it improves the sound by guesstimating the missing bits. I don't care for it. A well known online seller of downloads sold 24 bit as that when all it was, was up sampled music and they were called on it. What they said was that they were only selling what was prepared for them. That is a terrible excuse. Some of it actually sounded worse than the 16bit original. On the right system I can hear some difference on 24, true 24 bit music but I have some awfully good 16 bit as well and am totally happy with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back