DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,746 of 14,084
I personally think iBasso should remove the digital out and replace it with something else more useful, maybe another sd slot, or maybe room for even better amp/dac circuitry. Think about it, the DX90 has dual 32 bit 384khz ESS dacs, as soon as you use the digital out you are losing out on some of the ESS quality as the signal is then limited by the digital out chip specs, which is 24bit 192khz, looks like dx90 uses a Cirrus cs8416 chip for the digital out,  that chip doesn't have the best jitter specs, so you are taking the low jitter signal from the ESS dacs and passing them through a digital receiver chip which will add jitter, lower dynamic range, increase THD etc. I just don't see how you could actually increase SQ by using the digital out, more like lessen SQ.

May 27, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #5,747 of 14,084
I want the coax out. I use it with the Hugo and the sound is great. I have compared it to USB out from my Mac and like the coax out. 

May 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #5,748 of 14,084
  128 aren't as fast as the fastest 64GB. not sure if the reading speed influences the scanning time.

Another big part is that it's likely you'll have twice the number items to scan. Logically it should take twice as long when that's actually the case. Also, often file systems (or the Operating System/software using the file system) slows down exponentially at some point due to the number of files increasing.

//TB

May 27, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #5,749 of 14,084

Another big part is that it's likely you'll have twice the number items to scan. Logically it should take twice as long when that's actually the case. Also, often file systems (or the Operating System/software using the file system) slows down exponentially at some point due to the number of files increasing.

//TB

I use the 128 on the DX90 and it scans it pretty fast and once you scanned it the first time, it is super fast. 

May 27, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #5,750 of 14,084
  I use the 128 on the DX90 and it scans it pretty fast and once you scanned it the first time, it is super fast. 

Nice. I'm considering the DX90 as my DAP for the Alpha Dogs. How well does the DX90 power Mad Dogs or T50RP drivers?

May 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,751 of 14,084
Was that your first time scanning?

First time scan of a full card takes minutes for me, the more files on the card the longer it takes. Scans after that take on average 5-10 seconds

Not sure you consider this as 1st time..
I added 2 albums into the 80%full 64 gb card with the DX90 connected to the computer.
After that I disconnect the dx90 and perform the scan..

That is when I noticed the 10 min scan time..

May 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #5,752 of 14,084
  In this review, you can find the opinion of somebody who tested them both
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ibasso-dx90-portable-digital-audio-player/reviews/11054

Thank you for referring me to this review. I like that the reviewer has heard a nice list of DAPs it takes away the guessing for me haha. DX90 is hands down the best deal for DAPs if all this raving sounds as true as it is. Also the dual mono configuration ESS Sabre DAC looks like a giant killer in comparison to the AK120's dual Wolfsons. I really want to go to another Head-fi meet to demo and A/B but the price difference is a no brainer for a college student like myself.

May 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #5,753 of 14,084
  I personally think iBasso should remove the digital out and replace it with something else more useful, maybe another sd slot, or maybe room for even better amp/dac circuitry. Think about it, the DX90 has dual 32 bit 384khz ESS dacs, as soon as you use the digital out you are losing out on some of the ESS quality as the signal is then limited by the digital out chip specs, which is 24bit 192khz, looks like dx90 uses a Cirrus cs8416 chip for the digital out,  that chip doesn't have the best jitter specs, so you are taking the low jitter signal from the ESS dacs and passing them through a digital receiver chip which will add jitter, lower dynamic range, increase THD etc. I just don't see how you could actually increase SQ by using the digital out, more like lessen SQ.

Keeping the digital out is much more useful than going from 24 bit to full 32 bit. It has long been debated the benefits of 16 bit and 24 bit playback. 32 bit playback (as I assume what you mean) definitely yields the least benefit and may actually give you more problem.

Finding 24 bit content is just trickling down and 32 bit is virtually none existent yet. While it's up for debate, I only look at hi res file if they are better mastered than the CD counterpart. Then I down-sample them to 16 bits for playback as I don't see the point of 24 bit files if I can't here details beyond 20Khz. Also as the bit depth goes high you are unnecessarily wastes more space, then we will go around in circles and complain 128GB cards are not enough and soon cries for dual-card slots and or ginormous amount of storage in a DAP.

Digital out at least gives DX90 the flexibility of becoming a transport to those who need one. I agree they should find a way to increase the SQ still on DX90, But I doubt they can squeeze any more of the SQ out by just increasing bit depth.

In my opinion the best way iBasso can add more value and performance SQ-wise is through software. Perhaps improve the EQ  and more playback options like Rockbox.

May 27, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #5,754 of 14,084
well, i started around page 177 or so, brought there by some link long forgotten, and here i am - finally - at what is for the moment the end of the thread.  in the interim, i've gotten an rma# to return my unopened x5 and i've ordered a dx90.  what have i gotten myself into?  i only started with this stuff [headphones and related- not music] a few weeks ago, and i am up to 5 sets of hp - impulsively ordering things when i thought i knew enough to make a decision, and then learning of course i didn't know enough, and i needed to make a new decision.  otoh, with my hd700 - the best i have currently in my possession, with a k812 on the way - i've really enjoyed listening and hearing music anew that i've long taken for granted.  

one thing i've learned through the hundreds of pages of head-fi forums i've now ploughed through is that i've fallen in with a bunch of people just as obsessional and opinionated as i am.

May 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #5,756 of 14,084
  Then I would go with that. Nice to see prices dropping. I imagine the 128gb will do the same. What ever suits your needs. 

Right now the only brand with a 128gb is SanDisk (that I know of atleast) which means I doubt it'll drop soon because there is no need to undercut anyone. Whereas almost every memory company offers a 64gb card.

It's too bad that full SD cards take up too much space. They're cheaper per gb, and (usually) more durable. 

May 27, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #5,757 of 14,084
Just a reminder. Fake sandisk 128gb mircosd is in the market now... so only grab from reputable retailers.

May 28, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #5,758 of 14,084
  Right now the only brand with a 128gb is SanDisk (that I know of atleast) which means I doubt it'll drop soon because there is no need to undercut anyone. Whereas almost every memory company offers a 64gb card.

It's too bad that full SD cards take up too much space. They're cheaper per gb, and (usually) more durable. 

I like SD cards. Geez, you could get some nice big gb cards but they would be expensive. Anyway, I have used SD cards for a long time with no problems but I have to say that I have never had an issue with the micro sd cards either. Micro sd cards are tougher than I thought they would be. 

May 28, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #5,759 of 14,084
  I like SD cards. Geez, you could get some nice big gb cards but they would be expensive. Anyway, I have used SD cards for a long time with no problems but I have to say that I have never had an issue with the micro sd cards either. Micro sd cards are tougher than I thought they would be. 

The actual cards I've found to be tough, but I've had issues with some of the micro connectors getting a little beat over (while I've never had that happen on a full size card) but that's purely anecdotal.

But yeah, Lexar and PNY both offer 256gb SD cards. Imagine throwing two of those in a dap. 512gb + onboard.
It's seriously just insane how much storage is getting into such small cards.

May 28, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #5,760 of 14,084
I received my DX90 and have had a little listen. So far, it sounds pretty good but - not sure that it's massively better than my DX50 so far (this is with my Momentums and UE900s). So, I'm thinking, perhaps the need to burn-in is real.

So I tried to shuffle the whole contents of my SD card (which I just moved over from my DX50 without hassle) but I can't seem to do it? When I select All music, it only shows albums that I've already played? Just 4 or 5 so far..

I'm not sure if this is a result of still being on the original FW (I wanted to at least give it a try) or because I don't understand how the All music / genre / artist etc works, as I've only ever used the directory structure to date??

Any ideas please? I do hope that with some burn-in and with the new FW, I'll be more impressed... 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back