DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 24, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #1,413 of 14,084
Like everyone here I think one slot is "fine," but I wouldn't mind two since I have about 1TB of lossless music. I just have to pick and choose what I might be in the mood for and just go from there like I've been doing. I think 128GB is certainly enough variety.

The bigger worry I have is about some of the issues that pop up in the DX50 thread. Something that caught my eye was that people were saying the DX50 sounds different when the battery is lower, sounds worse as the juice goes down and only sounds best with fully charged battery? This plus the volume spiking to max randomnly is probably the only thing the DX90 needs to avoid for them to have my money.

Mar 24, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,414 of 14,084
Degrading sound when the battery is low is not only the DX50, my SR71-B clearly degrades the sound when the battery is low as did my old iBasso D10. Torches have lower light output with low battery and the engine on my shaver slows down on low battery

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,415 of 14,084
Degrading sound when the battery is low is not only the DX50, my SR71-B clearly degrades the sound when the battery is low as did my old iBasso D10. Torches have lower light output with low battery and the engine on my shaver slows down on low battery

and I slow down when I'm hungry.
tongue_smile.gif

But seriously your shaver slows down? Never had that. It's not like my laptop gets slower or my phone. I think the cutoff point should be before that happens, because I've never noticed any degredation with my X3. It's good till the very very end.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,416 of 14,084
Shure does, Braun Series7

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #1,417 of 14,084
  Something that caught my eye was that people were saying the DX50 sounds different when the battery is lower, sounds worse as the juice goes down and only sounds best with fully charged battery?

This is true on the DX100.  Definitely sounds better when battery is greater than 75%.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,418 of 14,084
Fair enough. I mean, I'm buying one anyway.

But there's nothing wrong with wishes, especially when dual cards are already implemented in this day and age elsewhere. And if I didn't have to buy and swap several cards that would unquestionably improve my user experience, since this device is about portability and travel to me.

We are all concerned about SQ - it's not an either or choice with SQ vs storage.

ccm

How much is it going to improve user-experience or how much convenient is it having 2 slot against 1 when you can just swap it out. You still can have all the music want with you.

No matter how subtle the SQ difference. You can't deny that what you have can't be upgraded in the future without buying a new DAP.

If you are coming from DX50 and pair it with an external amp, the beef up amp section in DX90 could possibly eliminate pairing it with an external amp. That will be more convenient and I can wear skinny jeans. :)

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,420 of 14,084
And given how long it took to go from 64->128, when exactly do you think we'll be getting 256 or more?  I think we both know that we won't ever see a 2TB micro SD card on the market.  The format will be well extinct before it gets there.

The idea that it's practical to wait for more than 128 when we're only a few months into the shipping of 128 is a bit weird.

Also, just because you don't hear the difference doesn't mean it ain't there.   Aren't we buying these newer and higher resolution players to be able to hear more differences?

ccm

not gonna drag the "what you can't hear doesn't mean it's not there" coz you can also say "what you don't see doesn't mean it does not exist". Plenty of discussion for that in sound science forums.

Who says you have to wait to get the capacity you want. Just buy 2 of 128 uSD and still practically expand capacity. Isn't it why it's removable?

I understand the complain if they slap a built in 128GB internal storage and not having a uSD slot. Then you can't expand capacity.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #1,421 of 14,084
I use a 4400uA battery a 128gb and a Meenova with whatever. 256gb total. And compact.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,422 of 14,084
I have now around 3TB in my collection so I had conceded long ago I will never be having the entire collection on the go and is totally fine with that.

Some of this "bickering“ is probably driven by competitions already offering dual slots, including AK100/120 and X5. I have grown to like AK100's dual slots as I can have my "core" collection on one uSD that is indexed/scanned into the database, and use the other slot to swap into music I recently ripped or purchased that I may or may not like. It allow me to swap quickly (or listen to a friend's card) without needing it to scan. It is particularly useful in meets to allow everyone listen with their music without me needing to rescan my card after the meet.

Not really going to be a big deal and won't affect my decision to buy dx90 but I do miss it with my ak240 (which is even more unacceptable given its price and that ak100/120 both had dual slots)......

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,423 of 14,084
And given how long it took to go from 64->128, when exactly do you think we'll be getting 256 or more?  I think we both know that we won't ever see a 2TB micro SD card on the market.  The format will be well extinct before it gets there.

The idea that it's practical to wait for more than 128 when we're only a few months into the shipping of 128 is a bit weird.

Also, just because you don't hear the difference doesn't mean it ain't there.   Aren't we buying these newer and higher resolution players to be able to hear more differences?

ccm

The first 1 gig hard drive came out 22 years ago, I think they're making them with 6tb capacity now... Same form factor... SSD hasn't taken over yet.

I don't see the uSD going anywhere anytime soon.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,424 of 14,084
Like everyone here I think one slot is "fine," but I wouldn't mind two since I have about 1TB of lossless music. I just have to pick and choose what I might be in the mood for and just go from there like I've been doing. I think 128GB is certainly enough variety.

The bigger worry I have is about some of the issues that pop up in the DX50 thread. Something that caught my eye was that people were saying the DX50 sounds different when the battery is lower, sounds worse as the juice goes down and only sounds best with fully charged battery? This plus the volume spiking to max randomnly is probably the only thing the DX90 needs to avoid for them to have my money.

I wouldn't worry too much about the battery, I haven't had any issues with that. I have a few spare batteries which I keep fully charged. Once I am down to one tick, it's going to the charger. The random volume spiking to max on the other end is to me a more serious problem. If they have the same issue with the DX90 it's definitively going back to them if I end up buying it. It's annoying, dangerous specially if you use iems and the big problem is that you got no idea when it'll happen.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,425 of 14,084
Guys, yesterday I lost my beloved DX50 and a pair of IEMs that were in the same box. When I realized 20 minutes later, they weren’t there. I hope the motherf****r that took it enjoy enough.
Well, the good part is that now I’m considering the DX90. I was pretty happy with my DX50, but the DX90 is tempting. I know it may seem a silly question, but do you really think it worth to spend the double of money for the upgrade?. Difficult to say if any of us has listened the DX90 yet, but I’m so desperate to have a DAP again in my hands that I would buy the DX90 without reading any review before. I just want to know if you think there is going to be a big difference between the Wolfson and the Sabre. Supposing they make a good implementation, what should be the sonic differences?.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back