DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 25, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #1,456 of 14,084

Actually, while it is true that power is a function of voltage and current (W = V*A), the actual variables that affect power output are the load (impedance curve of the headphone) and the current that the amp can provide at that load (assuming, for a certain volume setting, that the output voltage is constant).     It isnt really possible for 2 amps to deliver the same power output and have different current levels, unless the impedance of the headphone is changing from one amp to the other - if 2 amps are providing different current, they are providing different output power.

A powerful amp does make a difference b/c the impedance of even sensitive headphones may not be linear - nor may it be fully resistive in nature.   As such, the ability of an amp to handle varying loads does affect the output sound.   Which is why a relatively inexpensive, low-current, high-global-feedback op-amp based unit is not going to have the same control over a difficult load (ie, varying impedance, not low sensitivity) as a beefier amp with more current capabilities.    In other words, it isnt about the amount of current - it is about ability to handle changes in current requirements due to varying loads - especially once phase issues caused by L/C components of the load enter the picture.   

It's more a function of the output impedance of the amp, not its horsepower as it were, that determines its ability to handle the varying input impedance of the monitor. My low impedance Merlins aren't suddenly better with a high impedance amp, just because it's powerful (ie they work better with a Clip+ than a HiFiMan 602). That's what allows an amp to handle varying loads. A sufficiently low output impedance. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #1,458 of 14,084

In my experience, the best DAP for use in the car is still the Sansa Clip+ running Rockbox.  Note that the Clip+ has a button layout that is slightly better than the layout on the (otherwise very similar) Clip Zip.  It's hard to explain, but the Clip+ buttons are just slightly better laid out, and just that much easier to manipulate with one hand without having to look at them.  The only downside of the Clip+ is its tiny screen.  You do have to take your eyes off the road for a few seconds to look at the screen if you're scrolling through folders to choose an album/song, and the Clip's tiny 1" screen is not ideal.  I would suggest using one of the simpler Rockbox themes, and a thick bold font (Nimbus is great).  The fact that the Clip+ only costs $30 doesn't hurt either. 

This doesn't make sense to me.  I'm looking for a higher quality option for the car as well, and it seems like the only difference between the two is that the Clip+ has a tiny screen.  The DX90 will have buttons as well...it should be easy enough to skip/backup/play/pause with it while driving.  To find something in the library you're stuck with needing to pull over to be safe either way.

If you're looking for hardware controls it seems like the X5 will be the way to go.  At least then you're about at the same level of an ipod, excluding perhaps the fact that most head units integrate directly with the ipod now.  

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,459 of 14,084

This doesn't make sense to me.  I'm looking for a higher quality option for the car as well, and it seems like the only difference between the two is that the Clip+ has a tiny screen.  The DX90 will have buttons as well...it should be easy enough to skip/backup/play/pause with it while driving.  To find something in the library you're stuck with needing to pull over to be safe either way.

If you're looking for hardware controls it seems like the X5 will be the way to go.  At least then you're about at the same level of an ipod, excluding perhaps the fact that most head units integrate directly with the ipod now.  

Yes you are right about most head units integrating with iPods.

A few things though, no one mentioned those facts but there are a few hurdles one needs to get over:

1 - The most bang for the buck is to acoustically insulate your car (outside ambient noise), without that you might as well inject noise in your awesome player, the road will be louder than the music (you'll loose the details very quickly).
2 - The next step; the sound system. Even if you have a very good hi-res player, if you amplifier and speakers in your car are crapy that is what you are going to get.
3 - Last using a player on the AUX input with your eyes off the road is a recipe for disaster. No amount of sophistication from your fancy player will make you happy if you crash into a tree.

For a decent and safe solution, you alternative is either a sound system that integrates with a popular player or an aftermarket interfacing unit that will interface with your head unit through the CD changer input and use a popular player (that is what I did in my case having no choice with the dealer installed system).

If you are going to play a long shuffle list and you do not intend to change tunes at any moment except when you are on park, then the AUX solution is acceptable.

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,462 of 14,084
The pre-order price is quoted as $2900, surely not USD ?!? Or is this a typo and the price more likely to be $290 ? 

Quote:
  https://www.facebook.com/MingoHeadphone
preoder start on hong kong side

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #1,467 of 14,084

Just curious what'sthe correlation of that headphone with DX90?

Mingo is a headphone shop
Mingo, Jaben and DMA are all taking preorders if I am not mistaken.. the estimated delivery date is mid-April...

there are too many DAPs gonna come out soon... so confusing...

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,468 of 14,084
For the UK people. I got in touch with advancedmp3 and they said that it is highly likely that they will be stocking the DX90 (because of the success of DX50) but they don't have an official date yet. But having said that, they used to get 100 of the 500 DX50 batches in the past, so hopefully they will be able to get hope of some from the 1000 first batch DX90 soon! I rather not deal with custom/EMS myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back