DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jul 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #6,976 of 14,084
  I have email

I have emailed iBasso in the past asking about voicing, since I know there are preferences in China and in Japan for certain types of sound. Having lived there (China) I can understand this. They stated to me that they do not voice it to a preference but try and get the player to be musical and at the same time neutral. With my own preferences, which IMO, and of course subjective, I find that they do sound fairly neutral but true neutrality is impossible, IMO, because of the variances in our ears, culture, musical culture and a host of other reasons. I have dynamic IEM's as well as BA  and for me, have no issue with the DX90 and what it does with them. That is me and doesn't have to be anyone else's interpretation of what they hear and obviously there are some that would disagree what sounds good with the DX90. 

The HM901 has a huge market in China. I don't think it has been voiced to a preference either but having spoken to Fang at his plant when I was there, he also tries to go for musical and neutral. Obviously different monitors will react differently though with the 901 you have a number of amp boards to choose from. I mention the 901 because I do not think you have to voice something to a preference in order for it to sell well, if it sounds good to begin with. 

I fully agree with your point of a DAP will sell well if it sounded good to begin with. I would also agree if the iBasso will sell the DX90 equally well even if they keep the same sound FW2.0 signature unchanged in FW2.0.5 and FW2.1 as the DX90 did sound good at the beginning.

What I don't understand is why changing the sound signature in every firmware update but not mentioning it in the firmware release note. It seems to me that iBasso listens to customer feedbacks and responds by "perfecting" the sound signature base on the feedback. iBasso may think this is good customer service initiative. But then there will be another group of customers dislike the new signature and send iBasso further comments. The result is iBasso will change the sound signature again in the next firmware. This is my observation after seeing how iBasso handles DX50 firmware releases.

If iBasso does utilize DSP in the firmware, I wish they will enable multiple DSP profiles as user options. How nice it will be to have FW2.0 (DSP disabled), FW2.0.5 (Ambient) and FW2.1 (Clean) sound signature user selectable?

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #6,977 of 14,084
SNIP... If iBasso does utilize DSP in the firmware, I wish they will enable multiple DSP profiles as user options. How nice it will be to have FW2.0 (DSP disabled), FW2.0.5 (Ambient) and FW2.1 (Clean) sound signature user selectable? ...SNIP

Better yet, give us access to low-level DSP controls and let us play around with those instead of the EQ :wink_face:

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #6,978 of 14,084

I fully agree with your point of a DAP will sell well if it sounded good to begin with. I would also agree if the iBasso will sell the DX90 equally well even if they keep the same sound FW2.0 signature unchanged in FW2.0.5 and FW2.1 as the DX90 did sound good at the beginning.

What I don't understand is why changing the sound signature in every firmware update but not mentioning it in the firmware release note. It seems to me that iBasso listens to customer feedbacks and responds by "perfecting" the sound signature base on the feedback. iBasso may think this is good customer service initiative. But then there will be another group of customers dislike the new signature and send iBasso further comments. The result is iBasso will change the sound signature again in the next firmware. This is my observation after seeing how iBasso handles DX50 firmware releases.

If iBasso does utilize DSP in the firmware, I wish they will enable multiple DSP profiles as user options. How nice it will be to have FW2.0 (DSP disabled), FW2.0.5 (Ambient) and FW2.1 (Clean) sound signature user selectable?

You have your point here, sometimes is kind of annoying to have different sound signature on different FW, I agree on your advice for having selectable on different sound signature, and you also have to re-make your playlist every time you updates your FW, can't the iBasso think of a way to backup or more friendly editing the playlist.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #6,979 of 14,084
The thing is iBasso have repeatedly stated that they dont change the sound between fw versions

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #6,980 of 14,084
My player has frozen at the start up "DX90" screen. Tried power down & up a few times but does not go beyond that screen. Any advice before I contact ibasso support ? I am not using a SD card yet, so it is not card related.

Is there a way to do a Hardware factory reset by pressing certain buttons in a certain sequence ?

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #6,981 of 14,084
I wish they had software based memory for volume levels for each output ports. When using the LO, we're having to set it to 255. When switching to HO, volume level stays at 255. I'm scared of damaging my ears or iem, If I don't remember to bring the volume down before hitting Play.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #6,982 of 14,084
  I wish they had software based memory for volume levels for each output ports. When using the LO, we're having to set it to 255. When switching to HO, volume level stays at 255. I'm scared of damaging my ears or iem, If I don't remember to bring the volume down before hitting Play.

I agree with you. I've finally learned to look at the volume level before using HO out - learned the hard way!

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #6,983 of 14,084

I agree with you. I've finally learned to look at the volume level before using HO out - learned the hard way!

Good advice for the memory volume, I already damaged my ears a few times
basshead.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #6,984 of 14,084
  My player has frozen at the start up "DX90" screen. Tried power down & up a few times but does not go beyond that screen. Any advice before I contact ibasso support ? I am not using a SD card yet, so it is not card related.

Is there a way to do a Hardware factory reset by pressing certain buttons in a certain sequence ?

Push the power on and the volume up button at the same time and hold them. It will take you to a screen to reboot from. Use the power button to activate the reboot. You can also take out the battery and use the power button to clear the cpu. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #6,986 of 14,084

You have your point here, sometimes is kind of annoying to have different sound signature on different FW, I agree on your advice for having selectable on different sound signature, and you also have to re-make your playlist every time you updates your FW, can't the iBasso think of a way to backup or more friendly editing the playlist.

I have asked about this. It is more complicated that offering different signatures. It appears and I have heard this with all my other daps, that when you change a FW, it has an affect on the CPU and therefore the sound. I would assume to get to a sound signature that is "the best (but for whom?)" takes a number of trials. It is a little blind, in finding a good signature. You can see the daps in my signature, each one that had a fW update, changed in sound and I don't think it was always by design. And as Borrego mentions, change the signature for some and others will now be unhappy. So how to please all? I asked about different signatures so that people could choose but at this time, it can't effectively be done, according to a past email from iBasso. 

I would imagine, for the user interface, all of this will constantly evolve as it does with most software systems be it my Canon cameras with their millions to invest in software or DAP manufactures and hopefully we will continue to benefit. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #6,987 of 14,084

I have asked about this. It is more complicated that offering different signatures. It appears and I have heard this with all my other daps, that when you change a FW, it has an affect on the CPU and therefore the sound. I would assume to get to a sound signature that is "the best (but for whom?)" takes a number of trials. It is a little blind, in finding a good signature. You can see the daps in my signature, each one that had a fW update, changed in sound and I don't think it was always by design. And as Borrego mentions, change the signature for some and others will now be unhappy. So how to please all? I asked about different signatures so that people could choose but at this time, it can't effectively be done, according to a past email from iBasso. 

I would imagine, for the user interface, all of this will constantly evolve as it does with most software systems be it my Canon cameras with their millions to invest in software or DAP manufactures and hopefully we will continue to benefit. 

Yeah it's always impossible to please everyone and yes I do understand that one company have to spend lots of money & times on software system R&D. But there is lots of rooms for iBasso to improve because for what I can see now that the Fiio software system is catching up, but still I love my DX90 very much
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #6,988 of 14,084

I think it's keep volume up pressed while you power it on

Oops. Didn't see that it had already been answered

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #6,989 of 14,084

You'all may remember a reply I got from iBasso follows some questions regarding different sound sigs after updates?

"Did you notice that each time you update the firmware on your other digital audio devices or install a new soundcard driver on your computer, the sound changed?
That is the some reason for why slight changes on the sound signature of the DX50 after firmware update.
We found that each time we made changes on the decoding library, the sound would change slightly.  It isnt like pre-set EQ, which can be customized! "

Which I find very interesting and makes me wonder if it is possible for some of things we are hoping for??  :D

Jul 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #6,990 of 14,084
  Speaking of EQ, I don't particularly like the way iBasso implemented this feature. It seems like if one of the frequencies is bumped up lets say +3dB, the reference level of 0dB then moves to that setting resulting in overall sound level (volume) droppping by 3dB. [...]

EQ in DX90/50 might as well not be present at all. It reminds me of some cheap integrated sound cards with software EQ. You can't really bump any frequencies noticeable, not to mention of achieving V-shape sound signature.

But I would like to pay attention to one thing. I had DX50 previously and constant changes in software were irritating. I mean when I got used to the new FW a new version appear. In one FW you have a juicy bass but in another  there is no bass at all but closer mids. Once you get used to this change there is another FW which stronger bass but recessed vocals etc. It looks like ibasso have no idea how this player should sounds. You can call these changes in sound signatures an improvement but I believe there is no one ideal sound signature. So if I bought DX90 (with 2.0) because of how it sounds compared to DX50 why should now I have to change my headphones or look for another set because of bad synergy between 2.1 and my headphones? There should be an option to choose A, B or C sound signature with newest and bug free FW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back