DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jan 11, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #587 of 14,084

If they can only make DX100 thinner with it's existing features, I would go for it.

For me, there's no way back from those nice, big buttons on the front of the DX50 so I'm very excited to see that those will be on the DX90 as well.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #589 of 14,084
For me, there's no way back from those nice, big buttons on the front of the DX50 so I'm very excited to see that those will be on the DX90 as well.

DX100 also NEEDs physical control buttons, for those of us who use DAPs on-the-go. DX90 will have buttons....

I have to admit, I do lik the buttons on the DX50. Easy to find, even in total darkness and the side buttons for volume work well for me also. 

The signal to noise ratio on the DX90 is going to be very good so those that have very sensitive IEM's I believe, will have a good time with it. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #591 of 14,084
My concerns of storage capacity aside, I am looking forward to reading impressions after the DX90 is out there on a widespread basis.  Given the craziness we're witnessing at the so-called "high-end", I guess I have no choice but to count on iBasso & Fiio to maintain some sanity in the portable space.

Meanwhile, I feel like I'm held hostage.  A year ago, I bought a AK100, and givne my needs at the time, I had it shipped to Redwine for the output stage mod.  Then, of course, my circumstances changed, and I no longer needed to have a DAP for purely portable use.  I started using an external amp (Rx MKIII-b, though single-ended of course) pretty much exclusively.  A few months after I got my RWAK100, Vinnie introduced the -S mod.  I held off on getting that done, thinking "hey, I've already spent more than $950 on this DAP, I'm NOT spending more."

Fast forward to now, and the offerings are a bit disappointing to me.  I was hoping by now that that there would be a DAP that satisfied my requirements.  Well, not the case:  AK240...yeah, crazy price, ugly aesthetics (to me, of course); Sony ZX1...not released in the US, no external storage, reports of iffy line-out performance & lower battery life; Calyx M...miniscule storage, no line-out.  Soooo...I decided I'm going to wait.  I'll see what the DX90 offers in final form, and I'll see how Fiio's X7 development proceeds.  Since I'm not spending money on a new DAP, I relented & sent my RWAK100 to Vinnie a few days ago to have the -S mod (at a reduced price since I had the output stage mod done last year).

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to provide one example of a user's thought process about this current DAP market.

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #592 of 14,084
With the line out of the DX90, dual Sabre dacs, I think people will get a sub 500 dollar dac that will be an excellent source for any amp, if that is the way you choose to go and no modifications required. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #593 of 14,084

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to provide one example of a user's thought process about this current DAP market.

I think we can all agree that, in spite of all the options, there is still no 'perfect' DAP available (or announced) at this point in time.

However, I'm much more optimistic now than I was 12 months ago. The audiophile DAP market is heating up wonderfully at the moment, and this will accelerate development towards ever-closer-to-'perfect' offerings, purely through natural competitive one-upmanship between rival engineering teams.

When you think how bleak the DAP landscape was when all we had was iPod or HM-801 (no disrespect to the 801 itself - it was a trailblazer - I'm just saying there was so little choice for audiophiles, back then). The future of audiophile DAPs is looking really bright at the moment, even if nirvana has not yet been reached.

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #594 of 14,084
This will be long, anticipated wait for the release of this DAP! I sold my X3 to fund this new product. I will be keeping the DX50 as I never heard such sweet music when paired with my D42, which is burning in finely.
Is march still the month they are forecasting still? I'm sure they will stay close to the release of the X5

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #595 of 14,084
This will be long, anticipated wait for the release of this DAP! I sold my X3 to fund this new product. I will be keeping the DX50 as I never heard such sweet music when paired with my D42, which is burning in finely.
Is march still the month they are forecasting still? I'm sure they will stay close to the release of the X5

Yes, March. They are not gauging their release on anyone else's product. The DX90 has been in the plans for a long time. I used to read that about RSA amps as well and know that Ray released his amps when he wanted to and he did not do it in response to any perceived competition. iBasso does the same, they release when they are ready with a product they have been working on. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #597 of 14,084
  Yes, March. They are not gauging their release on anyone else's product. The DX90 has been in the plans for a long time. I used to read that about RSA amps as well and know that Ray released his amps when he wanted to and he did not do it in response to any perceived competition. iBasso does the same, they release when they are ready with a product they have been working on. 

I just hope they've redefined 'ready' after the DX50.

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #598 of 14,084
  I just hope they've redefined 'ready' after the DX50.

Well the UI will most likely have one more revision though it works great now as I haven't any problem at all with any feature. The hardware they know, so I think it will be fairly smooth sailing. But you know, nothing in this world is perfect and we all have differing expectations. I use the Anv 3 and it has almost no UI and will only play a couple of different formats and yet people enjoy it. So here is to the DX90- and what I expect will be a whole ton of fun. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #599 of 14,084
  Well the UI will most likely have one more revision though it works great now as I haven't any problem at all with any feature. The hardware they know, so I think it will be fairly smooth sailing. But you know, nothing in this world is perfect and we all have differing expectations. I use the Anv 3 and it has almost no UI and will only play a couple of different formats and yet people enjoy it. So here is to the DX90- and what I expect will be a whole ton of fun. 

I'm looking forward to it and the others. It's a great time for audio.

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #600 of 14,084
  My concerns of storage capacity aside, I am looking forward to reading impressions after the DX90 is out there on a widespread basis.  Given the craziness we're witnessing at the so-called "high-end", I guess I have no choice but to count on iBasso & Fiio to maintain some sanity in the portable space.

Meanwhile, I feel like I'm held hostage.  A year ago, I bought a AK100, and givne my needs at the time, I had it shipped to Redwine for the output stage mod.  Then, of course, my circumstances changed, and I no longer needed to have a DAP for purely portable use.  I started using an external amp (Rx MKIII-b, though single-ended of course) pretty much exclusively.  A few months after I got my RWAK100, Vinnie introduced the -S mod.  I held off on getting that done, thinking "hey, I've already spent more than $950 on this DAP, I'm NOT spending more."

Fast forward to now, and the offerings are a bit disappointing to me.  I was hoping by now that that there would be a DAP that satisfied my requirements.  Well, not the case:  AK240...yeah, crazy price, ugly aesthetics (to me, of course); Sony ZX1...not released in the US, no external storage, reports of iffy line-out performance & lower battery life; Calyx M...miniscule storage, no line-out.  Soooo...I decided I'm going to wait.  I'll see what the DX90 offers in final form, and I'll see how Fiio's X7 development proceeds.  Since I'm not spending money on a new DAP, I relented & sent my RWAK100 to Vinnie a few days ago to have the -S mod (at a reduced price since I had the output stage mod done last year).

Hi feverfive,

after you get Vinnie performs his extensive mod on your AK100, you do have a hell of a setup to pair it with a high-end portable amp in the market! A dedicated amp with its own battery makes a lot of difference. I think you will get majority of the benefit by feeding single-ended input and uses the RX balance output.
Good luck with your purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back