DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 31, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #5,838 of 14,084
Seems complicated , on how to install a new firmware :sweat::confounded:

Going back to the original is somewhat complicated (and impossible on a Mac) but the following fw is a simple process

May 31, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #5,839 of 14,084
Lots of happy owners, who haven't heard the DX90  :wink_face:

I don't ever suffer from buyers remorse because money is not a big deal to me  :D   In fact I would have kept the ZX1 along side the DX90 if it could do anything SQ related better than DX90, but unfortunately the ZX1 gets severely trampled by the DX90 in all areas of SQ. Even in UI responsiveness the DX90 has equaled the ZX1! In fact the only actual areas where the ZX1 wins in any way is that it has more features in the UI (playlists, tag sorting etc) and the features implemented work, like an actually good EQ with perfectly working gapless, screen can display 7 songs at a time, while the DX90 can only display 4 songs. But none of those things matter as the DX90 steamrolls the ZX1 in SQ.

The joy of headfi!
I have both the ZX1 and the DX90 and would say that to me the ZX1 is the better DAP in terms of SQ as well as UI.
There's not much in it though, I've kept both players but I do prefer the ZX1.
Value for money is where the dx90 wins hands down.

May 31, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #5,841 of 14,084
The joy of headfi!
I have both the ZX1 and the DX90 and would say that to me the ZX1 is the better DAP in terms of SQ as well as UI.
There's not much in it though, I've kept both players but I do prefer the ZX1.
Value for money is where the dx90 wins hands down.

For me the results of your assessment will depend also on the IEM that you used with the DAP, after setting a budget I hesitated long time between the X5 and DX90 because of this, what DAP will complement the better their different signatures. This is of course a add on individual preferences in audio, when you try to avoid the use of an equalizer that can impact in the quality of the final sound.

May 31, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #5,843 of 14,084
This. Your outboard HP amp's inputs may match better with either the low- or high-impedance outputs...it depends on the design of the HP amp, but it may ultimately put out more power and/or with lower distortion depending on the impedance.

Guyz, the purpose of the line-out is to rid of the components in the path that HP would have between the DAC and the jack to send out pure signal out of the DAC at a certain voltage level.  The 9018 has some sort of the digital signal input responsive volume control, but it is known as not being analog.  The difference between HP out and Line-out is typically HP out has the an analog volume control stage.  I'm guessing there is a buffer to lower the output impedance so that low impedance HP can have no issues.  

Line-out has no consideration of the load in mind and has high output impedance like standalone DAC's output, but amps have very high input impedance so there is no point of low output impedance connected to an amp.  

If you have low impedance phones, the external amp can be a buffer to lower the output impedance of the whole chain before the phones.

May 31, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #5,844 of 14,084
  Nothing wrong with using the low impedance active output of the headphone jack over the high impedance passive output of the line out jack.

Especially is driving longer cables or some power amps. I agree with Jamoto's description except for the passive preamp always being more transparent. They have their own set of issues. In this case, neither output represents passive attenuation.

May 31, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #5,845 of 14,084
  The difference between HP out and Line-out is typically HP out has the an analog volume control stage.  I'm guessing there is a buffer to lower the output impedance so that low impedance HP can have no issues. 

In the case of most DAPs however the line out is nothing but an inline resistor connected to the output of the LPF.  If a PS Audio or Ayre tried to sell you a home DAC where the analog stage was a resistor on  the premise that it is a purer signal we'd rip them a new one.  Why is it different for DAPs?

May 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #5,846 of 14,084
  I agree with Jamoto's description except for the passive preamp always being more transparent.

Passive preamp are hard to get right.  And even when done right there are realities that have to be taken into account.  If you are driving 5m of cable with your passive... ugh.

May 31, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #5,847 of 14,084

In the case of most DAPs however the line out is nothing but an inline resistor connected to the output of the LPF.  If a PS Audio or Ayre tried to sell you a home DAC where the analog stage was a resistor on  the premise that it is a purer signal we'd rip them a new one.  Why is it different for DAPs?

What is the resistor for?  Is it to attenuate the voltage to a certain level?  The LPF to filter out what?

These passive components, what consequence do they cause to the signal compared to the desktop setups that don't use these?

May 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #5,848 of 14,084
If there's a resistor instead of opamp, it's to isolate the DAP circuit from the load the LO is connected to. Probably in the 1k range. Even if there's an opamp, a resistor in front of it would be still be there for the same reasons but in that case it's a known load and in an appropriate proximity that the resistor value isn't an issue.

May 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #5,849 of 14,084
The resistor sets the output impedance.  Line is typically 50-100ohm.  Same as when it is used in the head out of say the AK range.  AK100 Mk1 has a 22ohm, AK120 a 3ohm.  The DX90 and X5 run wide open.  Typically a small value is used so that the output doesn't blow when the trs shorts during insertion and removal.  At these low power values it's not a huge deal but in something like the B22... pulling out or plugging in slowly = BOOM!

The LFP of the DAC section, an OPA1611 that feeds the voltage gain stage in the case of the DX90.

May 31, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #5,850 of 14,084
  The resistor sets the output impedance.  Line is typically 50-100ohm.  Same as when it is used in the head out of say the AK range.  AK100 Mk1 has a 22ohm, AK120 a 3ohm.  The DX90 and X5 run wide open.  Typically a small value is used so that the output doesn't blow when the trs shorts during insertion and removal.  At these low power values it's not a huge deal but in something like the B22... pulling out or plugging in slowly = BOOM!

The LFP of the DAC section, an OPA1611 that feeds the voltage gain stage in the case of the DX90.

But, you were referring to line-out impedance which is for amp input.  I was asking about the resistor of line-out you mentioned.  Why would you set the output impedance for the line-out? The AK output impedance is for the headphone out.   What is the LPF filtering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back