DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5,236 of 14,084
Check the DX50 faq, almost everything applies to the DX90 as well

http://www.head-fi.org/a/ibasso-dx50-faq#user_update

May 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #5,238 of 14,084
  Thanks for that - can you just clarify that it will work with a mac as well? The thread says the fw update is for windows

Thanks

It will work, i confirm, for having use my mac to copy and paste the firmware file into the main folder of internal memory of DX90.

May 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #5,240 of 14,084
Quite enjoying new sound.(slow roll-off). I think some negative comments are due to not giving it a more competent try. 
 Overly sharp hi register is no more, there is more bass, vocals are more present and hi gain does not remind of a 3D filter any more, thanks to more cleaner scene. A bit more mids and it'll hit the sweet spot. 

May 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #5,241 of 14,084
  Quite enjoying new sound.(slow roll-off). I think some negative comments are due to not giving it a more competent try. 
 Overly sharp hi register is no more, there is more bass, vocals are more present and hi gain does not remind of a 3D filter any more, thanks to noticeably cleaner scene. A bit more mids and it'll hit the sweet spot. 

I was unsure about updating or not but seeing that i can revert back if i dont like the new sq, i give it a try.
And i must say although less 3d, i like the new presentation, i become (much much) more immersive into the music! (with se846, slow roll-off)

May 17, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #5,242 of 14,084
Hi all, can someone please do a DX90 summary of all the updates and firmware links?

It's a pain to go through so many posts just to find the new firmware link, and whatever new updates.

Also I wonder why are all these news in this thread instead of the iBasso website? Can't even find the firmware update link or any announcements there.

May 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #5,243 of 14,084
  Hi all, can someone please do a DX90 summary of all the updates and firmware links?

It's a pain to go through so many posts just to find the new firmware link, and whatever new updates.

Also I wonder why are all these news in this thread instead of the iBasso website? Can't even find the firmware update link or any announcements there.

First page. 

http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX90_USB-DAC_driver_for32bitWinXP&Win7.zip

http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX90V2.0.0Apr7th.zip

http://www.ibasso.com/download/DX90FirmwareV2.0.5.zip

May 17, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #5,245 of 14,084

I'm on the fence, in terms of the issues (as you'll no doubt have seen, from my posts around 12 hours ago)

At the beginning of the year, I was slightly keener on the Calyx-M, but then they persisted with that stupid, stupid, stupid magnetic volume slider, and stealthily increased the weight from 160g to 230g, which is almost as heavy as an HM-901/DX100.

I want to see the DX90 overcome the teething issues, and then I'll more than likely go ahead and buy one. I can't think of anything else on the market that matches the SQ at $419 and a mere 140 grams.

Quote:

All good points but with iBasso, considering my experience with my DX50, it's always been a difficult thing to get right, it took quite a few months to move to 1.2.8 and it is still not fully functional, so my feelings is that you'll never reach this so called status of done. I understand your quest for less expensive and SQ improvement but with all ventures, something's gotta give (there is nothing like a free lunch, sooner or later you'll pay, spending lots of time fiddling around with the player is money lost doing something else cause time is money lol). The pool of resources at iBasso is limited and you'll never reach the level of a Sony and Apple on the front. With the DX50 and DX90 unfortunately it will never be done so the best time to join is now and participate in the journey of improving it months at a time.
beerchug.gif

It's the same old DX50 firmware upgrade issue all over again, seems that iBasso hasn't learned their lesson yet; DX100, DX50 and now DX90. There is a saying that says never 2 without 3 so here we go. They need to solve this issue by either figuring out how to isolate UI and sound play functions and really one should not impact the other. It might be related to the famous Rockchip soc. Anyway best is to stay away until they got their act together, I have passed my quota for beta tolerance tbh.

Hmmm... so what are you saying? I'm kinda getting mixed messages from you, here!
rolleyes.gif

May 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #5,246 of 14,084

Yes, FiiO does. That, I can personally confirm.

I remember going for the very first version when reviewing it (X5) to the first firmware released and could not detect any sound sq changes, would you say that 2.0 has changed that. Also does it go from ok to better? Just curious because I did not experience the change you seem to vouch for.

I also have the X3 for testing purposes and therefore I follow the corresponding thread here on Head-Fi. So I flashed about two RC and another two beta firmwares onto the X3. The biggest differences in sq I experienced from FW2.1 to FW2.14beta. You can visit the X3 thread by youself if you want and you'll see that many X3 owners also had this experience.

May 17, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #5,247 of 14,084

Hmmm... so what are you saying? I'm kinda getting mixed messages from you, here!
rolleyes.gif

it's not mixed, when I got the DX50, it took quite a few firmware upgrades to get it so called fixed but still with missing functionality (USB DAC still not implemented). They promised to get it done but we are still waiting. Now the DX90 suffers from the same issues we had with the DX50 firmware, sound signature changing, some users being happy about it while others just can't understand why the sound changes. TBH I have bought Apple products for years and not even once have I had the sound changing on me, so you can appreciate that I was all surprised when it happened with the DX50, now that I am used to it, I just don't want to get into that game again. I'll wait until it is mature enough, that they have all of the functions implemented and that they all work correctly, then I'll join.

I also have the X3 for testing purposes and therefore I follow the corresponding thread here on Head-Fi. So I flashed about two RC and another two beta firmwares onto the X3. The biggest differences in sq I experienced from FW2.1 to FW2.14beta. You can visit the X3 thread by youself if you want and you'll see that many X3 owners also had this experience.

no need, the X3 might be a different story being their first player, the X5, at least to me, does not seem to follow the same pattern but again I just upgraded one time and got functionality issues but no sound problems.

May 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #5,248 of 14,084
May 17, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #5,249 of 14,084
Hello All,
I did allot of bitching and moaning prior to downloading the new firmware. I have to say it is not bad sounding at all with the slow roll off. I think the sounstage is bigger and deeper than before. Deffinitely has less highs and that is why people are saying they are loosing the layering and micro details, but it is much smoother and punchier in the bottom end.

May 17, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #5,250 of 14,084
I hear two "clicks" coming from the DX90 when I power it on and when I shut it down. Is that normal? What is it?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back