DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Mar 29, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #61 of 10,355
Let's hope it has a better screen with sensitivity and faster android response and processor...

Will it come with amp12?
Is there an amp13? Is that the tube one?

Judging by ibasso track record it should be an exceptional player.
How much faster? It is, in use, it is as fast as my iPhone 13 Pro and the screen responds very well. I am really, really looking forward to this with the dac chips it is using. And they have stated that the AMP13 tube amp is coming out and that should be nice as well. Good stuff!

Mar 29, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #63 of 10,355
Ja, ich habe keine Probleme mit dem Bildschirm - es ist großartig. Gleiches gilt für die Geschwindigkeit, die Akkulaufzeit, selbst der Lautstärkeregler stört mich nicht wirklich, weil er sehr solide ist (in Bezug auf das Design verstehe ich die Entscheidung nicht, kann aber damit leben).
Es wird nicht mit dem amp13 als Lager geliefert. Gebündelt wird etwas anderes.
ich prefer buy it without any amp

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #68 of 10,355
I feel like saying something... something that not only I have said in the past, but others as well.

Consider this, iBasso has been consistently putting out some of the best performing devices (IEMs, headphones, DAPs, amps, dongle amp/dacs, etc.) on the market. Now, run through the previous sentence one more time, but slower. What am I talking about? Regardless of the price, iBasso has been putting out some of the best performers on the market.

We all love iBasso for that, but what the majority love is the low price (yes, I can say low because there is almost never any competition at iBasso's pricing).

iBasso was never involved in any shady or big-words-no-backup marketing campaigns or anything of such kind. Always honest and true to its marketing claims. What's more, it's always very transparent about the components, specs, and all the goodies on the inside (unlike some companies who do the opposite — hide and treat it like a secret recipe).

If there is any company on the market that could price its products twice their current MSRP, it's iBasso. They absolutely could do that. Yes, many people would be upset, because at this point iBasso has created this large following and respect for the value it provides, but on the other hand wouldn't it be reasonable for the company to get the money it deserves? The money its products are truly worth?

I mean, when did we actually see iBasso's product being compared to other company's product at the same price range? Maybe this has been more true than ever in the recent years, but we cannot overlook the fact that iBasso's products are almost always performing at least 2x their MSRP (then you also have products like the SR2 which are getting compared or have in-line performance with products over 7x its MSRP...)

I guess this value and pricing has become iBasso's signature... should the company decide to keep it this way long-term, great news for all the current and upcoming iBasso lovers, but should they decide to pump up the prices, it would be more than justified.

If you think about it, iBasso's fan-base was earned based on its product's performance, not on any sort of hype trains and stuff like that.

Rant, rant, rant, in the end everyone will be happy because DX320 will not go for 2x DX300's price =)

Mar 29, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #69 of 10,355
I feel like saying something... something that not only I have said in the past, but others as well.

Consider this, iBasso has been consistently putting out some of the best performing devices (IEMs, headphones, DAPs, amps, dongle amp/dacs, etc.) on the market. Now, run through the previous sentence one more time, but slower. What am I talking about? Regardless of the price, iBasso has been putting out some of the best performers on the market.

We all love iBasso for that, but what the majority love is the low price (yes, I can say low because there is almost never any competition at iBasso's pricing).

iBasso was never involved in any shady or big-words-no-backup marketing campaigns or anything of such kind. Always honest and true to its marketing claims. What's more, it's always very transparent about the components, specs, and all the goodies on the inside (unlike some companies who do the opposite — hide and treat it like a secret recipe).

If there is any company on the market that could price its products twice their current MSRP, it's iBasso. They absolutely could do that. Yes, many people would be upset, because at this point iBasso has created this large following and respect for the value it provides, but on the other hand wouldn't it be reasonable for the company to get the money it deserves? The money its products are truly worth?

I mean, when did we actually see iBasso's product being compared to other company's product at the same price range? Maybe this has been more true than ever in the recent years, but we cannot overlook the fact that iBasso's products are almost always performing at least 2x their MSRP (then you also have products like the SR2 which are getting compared or have in-line performance with products over 7x its MSRP...)

I guess this value and pricing has become iBasso's signature... should the company decide to keep it this way long-term, great news for all the current and upcoming iBasso lovers, but should they decide to pump up the prices, it would be more than justified.

If you think about it, iBasso's fan-base was earned based on its product's performance, not on any sort of hype trains and stuff like that.

Rant, rant, rant, in the end everyone will be happy because DX320 will not go for 2x DX300's price =)
Couldnt agree more!

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #70 of 10,355

Many of us share the same sentiments.

However, it is also such sentiments that somehow give makers the idea that they can raise their prices to .... well, to put it delicately, what they think they deserve to charge them for. We are in a state where flagship players these days are asking for USD3,000 and above. These forums are evident of the nature. Question is, how many do the makers expect to sell and is this expanding the audience to the hobby?

While the argument is always, there's a market for such priced products, that's true. This market is also shrinking given how Astell & Kern, perhaps among the most prestigious of portable player brand, has scaled back their premium range of players.

Regardless how flowery the reviews come for the new flagship players, personally, they do not obsolete past flagship players for both technicalities and tonality. However, their prices keep going up significantly, with plenty of marketing and individuals justifying the price tag.

I've been a fan of iBasso since their DX100 days, and while people say they offer value for their products, i say they offer very fair value and pricing position across their portfolio. And i love how they have always positioned themselves as wanting as many people to enjoy their products, even their top-of-the-line products.
Of course, a company needs profit to stay in business, but iBasso keeps their feet firmly on the ground, and deliver realistic products, at realistic and fair pricing.

Will be looking forward to the DX320 once it is available. Am sure, like the DX300, it will elevate their game.

End rant.

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #71 of 10,355
I've been a fan of iBasso since their DX100 days, and while people say they offer value for their products, i say they offer very fair value and pricing position across their portfolio. And i love how they have always positioned themselves as wanting as many people to enjoy their products, even their top-of-the-line products.
Of course, a company needs profit to stay in business, but iBasso keeps their feet firmly on the ground, and deliver realistic products, at realistic and fair pricing.
Hmm. I see what you are trying to say, and it is indeed quite interesting.

What you are saying is that the flagship bunch of DAPs priced at >$3000 are kind of unrealistic and A&K is a prime example of that. Is that why you would go on to say that iBasso is pricing their products realistically?

Personally, as noted with a number of iBasso's past releases, its products compete with those well over the $3000 asking price. So, if iBasso price its products >$3000, would it be unrealistic due to the unrealistic price of other $3000? Or, would it be realistic because it would superexceed its competitors?

I guess it's a bit of a philosophical debate, but imo it is an interesting one. For example, iBasso released the DX300 MAX and I can absolutely justify the asking price. Once you go deeper into what goes beneath the surface (all the components and goodies under the hood), you start understanding the pricing. To further back up my point, DX300 MAX was compared to the best of the best out there (e.g. Sony's $8500 DMP-Z1).

"Fair pricing". Is it fair or is it genuine? I'd argue it's the latter. Fair would mean that its products' performance is on-par with the competition in the same price bracket, whereas in reality its competition is "far" outside its MSRP (price bracket). This is why I consider iBasso the most dominant player (no pun intended) in the DAP space — it offers an unbeatable price-to-performance ration and value. Of course, there are a whole bunch of options in the DAP space where you can choose what matches your taste, but as a whole, as a package, iBasso offers the most mature and complete one (imo).

Mar 30, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #72 of 10,355
Hmm. I see what you are trying to say, and it is indeed quite interesting.

What you are saying is that the flagship bunch of DAPs priced at >$3000 are kind of unrealistic and A&K is a prime example of that. Is that why you would go on to say that iBasso is pricing their products realistically?

Personally, as noted with a number of iBasso's past releases, its products compete with those well over the $3000 asking price. So, if iBasso price its products >$3000, would it be unrealistic due to the unrealistic price of other $3000? Or, would it be realistic because it would superexceed its competitors?

I guess it's a bit of a philosophical debate, but imo it is an interesting one. For example, iBasso released the DX300 MAX and I can absolutely justify the asking price. Once you go deeper into what goes beneath the surface (all the components and goodies under the hood), you start understanding the pricing. To further back up my point, DX300 MAX was compared to the best of the best out there (e.g. Sony's $8500 DMP-Z1).

"Fair pricing". Is it fair or is it genuine? I'd argue it's the latter. Fair would mean that its products' performance is on-par with the competition in the same price bracket, whereas in reality its competition is "far" outside its MSRP (price bracket). This is why I consider iBasso the most dominant player (no pun intended) in the DAP space — it offers an unbeatable price-to-performance ration and value. Of course, there are a whole bunch of options in the DAP space where you can choose what matches your taste, but as a whole, as a package, iBasso offers the most mature and complete one (imo).

Portable audio prices have been inflated for so long (as long as Astell & Kern existed), the general audiophile community have adjusted to the new norm of such pricing.
The basic train of thought, higher price means better. A topic that has come up many times over.

Realistic and fair prices are of course, different. A product based on build-of-material cost, research and development, product cycle, sales volume over life cycle, etc, all determines the selling price of the product. This is a more complex conversation which most of us here would not have the relevant information to chew on.
I can only compare based on the flagship products of say, a Fiio M17, Shanling M9, Luxury & Precision LP6, Cayin N8ii, mostly are currently communicated devices.
Narrow down between say, a Fiio M17 and Cayin N8ii, both have their "key selling points", which lets casually say both spent similar R&D cost to their "key selling points", the rest of the hardware and software would achieve similar cost (based on a competition supply chain, regardless of cost increases). Yet, their final selling price differ by a clear wide margin. Surely, the fans of both sides or either would come to their defense and justify however they so wish to do so. So ... how does one arrive at what is a "fair and realistic" pricing? There is a cost to profit ratio calculation, to determine that (ask the financial folks). In a truly competitive environment, where every sale matters, the price gaps between similar competing products would be very narrow ... even for luxury priced goods.

And i have rambled far more than i intended. So take what i've written for whatever value any reader may make out of it, or consider it a madman's raving.

It's time to get back to the main topic, and that is when the DX320 is landing and what can we look forward to, with its arrival.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #73 of 10,355
I will wait for iBasso DX320 MAX.... :wink:

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #74 of 10,355
Slips into my flame suit.

I find the anxiety over DX320, pricing and ROI bashing of other flagship DAPs over [insert your 4 figure currency here], entertaining when it hasn’t been announced yet.

If you look at DX300 product pricing + AMP in $USD, it’s $1249 with stock AMP11.2 and $1478 with stock AMP + AMP12 - it’s THE or one of the best DAP for performance and value in its price range. Transitioning to ROHM DACs shouldn’t increase the price significantly depending on enhancements, new features etc and I’m guessing close to M17 pricing with an extra AMP. I’m not anxious about DX320 as I’m confident that however iBasso prices the upgraded DX320 it will be amazing DAP value for price and performance.

Will iBasso offer a $2K-$3K DAP again in the future or do they feel the need to, possibly/most likely as MAX SS/Ti - though ROHM DACs don’t seem to be in short supply. And who doesn’t love a SS/Ti brick with gold knobs?

Regarding $2-3K flagship DAPs, are they worth it? Depends, if you see value in it or what your personal audio journey and listening end goal is.

Postscript:
If you consider a DX312 ($1478) + external C9 AMP ($1699 on sale, $1999 not on sale) then you’ve crossed the $3K+ level and close to an all-in-one N8ii.

Personally, I pair my IEMs with a specific source to achieve a certain signature:

- DX312 (/w or w/o C9) my portable and travel kit
- Indigo/EVO/LCD-2 + 3MAX for warm signature and bass emphasis
- EXT/EVO + M17 when I’m at home
- EXT/EVO/Xe6 + N8ii for amazing soundspace, clarity and details, tube signature (EXT + N8ii daily listener)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #75 of 10,355
Lady and gentlemen,

Ibasso is fully capable, and very innovative, their latest true flagship was the limited run of DX300Max-Titanium. I wouldn’t and couldn’t think of anyone who is true to the music and performances would underestimate or dislike it in anyway! Therefore, at this point in time, it is safe to say that, if and only if we could, get over the pricing as a factor, but taking Ibasso motto for producing things that are worth every Pennies, then we can benefit a lot more

Why not wait for Dx320Max though ? It may even be sporting dual Korg tubes to compete toward Cayin C9+N8ii as well. May even be at a good pricing if it is anything closer to Cayin N8ii+C9 pricing altogether ($5.5k), because you don’t need to stack up 😅
I will wait for iBasso DX320 MAX.... :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back