DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Jan 31, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #481 of 1,030
My device now has 12 hours of burn in on the clock and I can share a few of my impressions.
The device makes a high-quality and well-made impression. I am still not a fan of a volume wheel and am convinced that buttons are better for a pocket device. Unfortunately, I don't think the arrangement of the 3 buttons is ideal either. Ultimately, however, it has to be said that everything works well.

Android works quite well, but I can't say any more about it as I don't use it. The Mango OS is the most interesting for me (and that was one of the reasons I bought it). It works smoothly, only if you use the buttons (on the side of the device) to skip, mine has a delay of about 1 second until the next title starts.

I'm not someone who can explain the sound like others. As far as I'm concerned, it just has to sound good.

At the beginning it didn't sound much different to my 14 year old Ipod Touch. With the iPod it sounded like the music was centered in my head, whereas with the DX260 the sound was outside my head and all around me. The DX260 also sounded more delicated and more detailed.

Now, after about 14 hours of burn in, the DX260 sounds very different to my iPod Touch. The highs sound detailed, but never strained. The mids are clear, powerful and distinct. The bass is tight, transparent and dynamic. It never imposes them, but gives the overall sound a good fullness. For me, the DX260 sounds open and balanced.It's a lot of fun to listen to music with it.

Unfortunately, I also have 2 things that I don't like.

1. When I transfer songs from the PC to the DX260, it always loses the connection after a while. I have a folder with 150 songs on the device. When I open this folder via PC, it takes a while to scan and then the PC tells me that the folder is empty. But it is not empty, because when I open the folder on the DX260, I can see all the songs. Is there a limit to the number of songs per folder? Then I have to disconnect and reconnect the device so that it works properly.

2. The biggest criticism for me at the moment is the battery. The battery currently consumes 30% in 2 hours. That means the battery lasts 6-7 hours. I only use the Mango OS, the display brightness is at about 25% and it switches off after 1 minute. For the burn in phase I only use MP3 files with 320kbps and a volume between 30-40% in low gain and an IE100 Pro with 3.5MM jack. I only use a small part of the possible potential and only have so little mileage. What if I use the full pontential (Hi-Res Flac, Mid or High Gain, higher volumes)?
I'm not even talking about BT or WLAN. I assumed that I would have about 10 hours of battery life with Flac files and medium volume. This problem could be the reason why I'm sending the device back after all. Too bad, because it sounds very good and is fun.

Under what conditions does iBasso achieve the advertised 14 hours battery life?
It's been reported the Mango OS uses more battery than Android mode. Sort of counterintuitive until you understand that android is built for efficiency of battery which is good for every device it's installed in. You may get that time in android with the antennas off and 16/44 wav files, low fFIR setting etc. .

as for the connection issue, try a different cable. On the 240, I found the connection of the USB cable at the player end could have been more secure and given cable was at fault. You might also consider a better dig cable. The one they give works fine but I clearly found/made better ones.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #482 of 1,030
My device now has 12 hours of burn in on the clock and I can share a few of my impressions.
The device makes a high-quality and well-made impression. I am still not a fan of a volume wheel and am convinced that buttons are better for a pocket device. Unfortunately, I don't think the arrangement of the 3 buttons is ideal either. Ultimately, however, it has to be said that everything works well.

Android works quite well, but I can't say any more about it as I don't use it. The Mango OS is the most interesting for me (and that was one of the reasons I bought it). It works smoothly, only if you use the buttons (on the side of the device) to skip, mine has a delay of about 1 second until the next title starts.

I'm not someone who can explain the sound like others. As far as I'm concerned, it just has to sound good.

At the beginning it didn't sound much different to my 14 year old Ipod Touch. With the iPod it sounded like the music was centered in my head, whereas with the DX260 the sound was outside my head and all around me. The DX260 also sounded more delicated and more detailed.

Now, after about 14 hours of burn in, the DX260 sounds very different to my iPod Touch. The highs sound detailed, but never strained. The mids are clear, powerful and distinct. The bass is tight, transparent and dynamic. It never imposes them, but gives the overall sound a good fullness. For me, the DX260 sounds open and balanced.It's a lot of fun to listen to music with it.

Unfortunately, I also have 2 things that I don't like.

1. When I transfer songs from the PC to the DX260, it always loses the connection after a while. I have a folder with 150 songs on the device. When I open this folder via PC, it takes a while to scan and then the PC tells me that the folder is empty. But it is not empty, because when I open the folder on the DX260, I can see all the songs. Is there a limit to the number of songs per folder? Then I have to disconnect and reconnect the device so that it works properly.

2. The biggest criticism for me at the moment is the battery. The battery currently consumes 30% in 2 hours. That means the battery lasts 6-7 hours. I only use the Mango OS, the display brightness is at about 25% and it switches off after 1 minute. For the burn in phase I only use MP3 files with 320kbps and a volume between 30-40% in low gain and an IE100 Pro with 3.5MM jack. I only use a small part of the possible potential and only have so little mileage. What if I use the full pontential (Hi-Res Flac, Mid or High Gain, higher volumes)?
I'm not even talking about BT or WLAN. I assumed that I would have about 10 hours of battery life with Flac files and medium volume. This problem could be the reason why I'm sending the device back after all. Too bad, because it sounds very good and is fun.

Under what conditions does iBasso achieve the advertised 14 hours battery life?
Unfortunately all the compact Android Chi-Fi players suffer from poor battery life. If you want good battery life in a compact portable DAP like your iPod touch, go for a Sony Walkman. There are many models, with and without Android.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #483 of 1,030
It's been reported the Mango OS uses more battery than Android mode. Sort of counterintuitive until you understand that android is built for efficiency of battery which is good for every device it's installed in. You may get that time in android with the antennas off and 16/44 wav files, low fFIR setting etc. .

as for the connection issue, try a different cable. On the 240, I found the connection of the USB cable at the player end could have been more secure and given cable was at fault. You might also consider a better dig cable. The one they give works fine but I clearly found/made better ones.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I did not have this information about the Mango OS. I was of the opinion that this OS in particular consumes less battery due to its simplicity (player). That was a mistake on my part. I will try a different cable.

Unfortunately all the compact Android Chi-Fi players suffer from poor battery life. If you want good battery life in a compact portable DAP like your iPod touch, go for a Sony Walkman. There are many models, with and without Android.
Thanks for your reply. This is a new experience for me. I had been trying to get a ZX707 for the last 9 months. Unfortunately, it's not available in Germany (as you know) and I didn't meet the requirements to order it in Japan. Last but not least I don't like the volume limitation of the German devices. So I had to look for an alternative

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #484 of 1,030
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I did not have this information about the Mango OS. I was of the opinion that this OS in particular consumes less battery due to its simplicity (player). That was a mistake on my part. I will try a different cable.

Thanks for your reply. This is a new experience for me. I had been trying to get a ZX707 for the last 9 months. Unfortunately, it's not available in Germany (as you know) and I didn't meet the requirements to order it in Japan. Last but not least I don't like the volume limitation of the German devices. So I had to look for an alternative
My dx240 uses 10% battery per hour in android mode (on IEM, medium gain, 50). The power consumption of dx260 should not be worse

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #485 of 1,030
I don't understand why in the world pack 8 DACs into a dap. Even if these CS are power efficient, 8 will still drain more than 4 or 2 or im wrong? You actually need 1 good dac, great in house tuning and a proper amplification to get good sound.
I know that IBasso likes to push boundaries but what counts the most is the sound not how it looks on paper lol

Jan 31, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #487 of 1,030
The 8 dac chips do not require a lot of current, so there is not a lot of battery drain. But they are used in a way as to improve SNR, dynamics and overall sound in a very positive way. If using the screen a lot, BT or WiFi, there will be less run time. Using 8 chips is not a gimmick but an implementation to get the most sound quality out of the digital stream. Once heard, the DX260 will stand on its own. It is all about the music and that is what the DX260 is, about the music. It is easy to get over 10 hours of play time and you have the excellent power output of the DX260 with plenty of reserve for headroom.

Last edited:
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 31, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #488 of 1,030

I already replied to your last post some days ago. Not sure if you saw it so I’ll say it again.
You can buy a Zx707 from eBay.de in Germany. For example, this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/285431246171

I bought mine the same way and I got it in 2 days from Japan with express shipping. The Japanese model has high gain and no volume limit.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #489 of 1,030
I couldn’t decide between the DX260 and the DC Elite. In the end, speaking to AMP3 and finding out that they had exhausted their initial stock of DX260s - no re-supply until the end of February because of Chinese New Year, I went with the DC Elite. Arrives Friday.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #490 of 1,030
I couldn’t decide between the DX260 and the DC Elite. In the end, speaking to AMP3 and finding out that they had exhausted their initial stock of DX260s - no re-supply until the end of February because of Chinese New Year, I went with the DC Elite. Arrives Friday.
They are different, and different enough to have both but both complement the music. Some good stuff coming out !

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #491 of 1,030
Can confirm, my volume knob felt “scratchy” out the box but it rolls quite smoothly now.
Great... so now "volume knob burn-in" is a thing? :unamused: :rolling_eyes:

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #494 of 1,030
I already replied to your last post some days ago. Not sure if you saw it so I’ll say it again.
You can buy a Zx707 from eBay.de in Germany. For example, this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/285431246171

I bought mine the same way and I got it in 2 days from Japan with express shipping. The Japanese model has high gain and no volume limit.
Sorry, I missed that one. How much tax did you pay on top of that?

Jan 31, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #495 of 1,030
Great... so now "volume knob burn-in" is a thing? :unamused: :rolling_eyes:
If you need to break in your shoes, why not volume knob? :) Happy burn-in or break-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back