DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
May 3, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #901 of 988
So the M15S was better or not compared to the DX260? I found the highs and a few other aspects of the M15S, to be lacking. We all hear differently, that is for sure.
It was better, I'll go more into detail in the full post but the gist of it is that where they all do some parts of the frequency better than the others, the DX260 has a few parts where it outright loses to both, primarily the dynamics, but also the soundstaging, layering and clarity (may be a benefit if you have sharp/sibilant gear that needs toning down though, going from the DX260 to either is like going from FIR-2x to FIR-NOR)

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #902 of 988
It was better, I'll go more into detail in the full post but the gist of it is that where they all do some parts of the frequency better than the others, the DX260 has a few parts where it outright loses to both, primarily the dynamics, but also the soundstaging, layering and clarity (may be a benefit if you have sharp/sibilant gear that needs toning down though, going from the DX260 to either is like going from FIR-2x to FIR-NOR)
Ok, well we really do hear things differently. Dynamics, layering and transparency are excellent IMO and this was the case with the person that had the M15S. To me, there is no real comparison when it comes to the sound of Music and what each one produces. Nice that we have choices. Did you check the settings on the DX260? I also do a factory reset after doing updates and am on the latest update for the DX260.

May 3, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #903 of 988
Sure!

my goal was to find an android based neutral sounding DAP in the price range between 500 and 1000€

M15S: A friend of mine has it and it was for sure enough to be happy with, but the M23 was just to be released and the M15S was a tiny bit of an older model (OS wise) so I wanted to wait initially to hear some reviews.

M23: I was a bit concerned of the THX amps used, some fellow forum members don't have too good things to say about them, ok, whereas others like how they work... and on top of it, it was claimed (before release though) that the M23 might have the more FiiO-typical warmer sound representation... and I was looking for a more neutral sounding DAP

R6 Pro II: Power output and battery life has driven me off of this choice (same for the R6 III), but even though I nearly pushed the buy button, it was that close

R6 III: Hiby's are known not to have the best battery life, but surely the R6 III was on my absolute short list, also price wise....

...but the last DAP I researched was the iBasso DX260, and not only here at head-fi, but also in some German speaking forums the people loved the neutral but still engaging sound this DAP produces. It was claimed it is nearly on the analytical, highly resolving side but without sounding sterile. Also the software problems seem to have been addressed by iBasso in a very timely matter since this player is rather new on the market (which I liked, too). I just wanted to have a neutral and resolving DAP so I can rely on my headphones sounding as they were intended to, with no sort of coloration by the source... and man, I once in a while chose right. The DX260 just gives me the source sound I wanted and how it was described by so many before.

Sure, it is an individual craving if someone wants a neutral sounding source, as it is also totally OK if someone wants a warm and cozy representation from a DAP. Me personally like to get my different "sound-moods" by adding a certain headphone. It's just me that I think a neutral source is the best you can have, because then you can play around with the headphones not always thinking of "ah, my DAP renders everything a tiny bit warmer by nature, or emphasizes more on the bass or the highs..., so I have to take that into account every time I buy a headphone. With the DX260 I don't have to worry too much about that, I just know that what comes out of my headphones are the headphones and to a much much lesser extent the player altering the sound.

EDIT: of course it was also the DX260's output power of ~1 Watt which added to the buying decision
Thank you for expressing your experience. It will help me a lot in my decision.
You were looking for exactly what I'm looking for: A neutral DAP that can be as all rounder as possible for any Iem I want to use.
I don't see myself using the DX300 much because I feel like I don't like the synergy with some IEMs I have. And I feel that the dongles I have have specific characteristics that make me look for the best synergy IEM to listen to.
I like having variety in the collection. But now I'm restless and just want something neutral, but with great sound quality, of course!! But, that simply makes me take any IEM and take this DAP and enjoy the IEM feature without worrying about synergy or not.

May 3, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #904 of 988
I just did a DX260 VS M15S VS R6 Pro II and yeah, the DX260 didn't stand on the same level overall.

It does everything well, but the M15S and R6 Pro II do some aspects exceptionally well with only one or two things worse very situationally.
I read that the R6proII is a wonder for IEMs. And my DAP use is exclusive to IEMs, since I use a desktop amp for my open back headphones. But, the terrible battery life situation makes me exclude the R6proII. unfortunately, it's an important point for me too. Thinking in the medium and long term. But, the M15s, DX260 or M23 are the 3 DAPs that are on my radar. Which ones do you think would be the most different from the DX300 amp11mkII in terms of sound characteristics? But it also had the most all-rounder sound possible. I don't worry about power, as I will only use it with IEMs. Thanks!!

May 3, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #905 of 988
I read that the R6proII is a wonder for IEMs. And my DAP use is exclusive to IEMs, since I use a desktop amp for my open back headphones. But, the terrible battery life situation makes me exclude the R6proII. unfortunately, it's an important point for me too. Thinking in the medium and long term. But, the M15s, DX260 or M23 are the 3 DAPs that are on my radar. Which ones do you think would be the most different from the DX300 amp11mkII in terms of sound characteristics? But it also had the most all-rounder sound possible. I don't worry about power, as I will only use it with IEMs. Thanks!!
Probably the M23, as it utilizes AKM, a known smoothish and velvet like presentation. I would imagine this to be the warmest sounding of the bunch as well, but I can't confirm that as I have not heard it. If you're looking for a sure fire different sound approach, I would recommend the Shanling M6 Ultra. It's the warmest dap I've heard....in a good way of course.

May 3, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #906 of 988
Probably the M23, as it utilizes AKM, a known smoothish and velvet like presentation. I would imagine this to be the warmest sounding of the bunch as well, but I can't confirm that as I have not heard it. If you're looking for a sure fire different sound approach, I would recommend the Shanling M6 Ultra. It's the warmest dap I've heard....in a good way of course.
Thanks for the tip!! I will definitely need to wait for some more reviews of the M23 as well. Unfortunately I don't have the means to test many audio products in my country. So, many of my purchases are made with the help of reviews. Good thing it's been working so far. I'll need more comparisons between the M23, DX260 and M15s to decide.

May 3, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #907 of 988
Ok, well we really do hear things differently. Dynamics, layering and transparency are excellent IMO and this was the case with the person that had the M15S. To me, there is no real comparison when it comes to the sound of Music and what each one produces. Nice that we have choices. Did you check the settings on the DX260? I also do a factory reset after doing updates and am on the latest update for the DX260.
Don't get me wrong, the DX260 is still a very good dap, the competition has just gotten a lot better, and each offer something exceptional. Taking second place most of the time and instead of offering something exceptional, having something outright worse than both just isn't enough anymore.

I have not heard the DX300 in a very very long time and don't have any way to get one to compare with these.

I've not heard the M23 yet but if the opinions that the M23 is like a portable K9 AKM then it should be on the same level as the DX260.

About the R6 Pro II, I wouldn't restrict it to being just better for iems because I've tried two headphones (Hifiman Edition XS and Ananda) that it opened up amd really improved the layering on (it's forte)

That said, I do think the M15S edges it out in terms of compatability due to its better extended bass and lack of occasional vocal grainyness. Bass and vocals are more prominent on for most songs and I do wonder how many people even own iems/headphones that extend so well or even can still hear that the M15S slight treble roll off without a side by side comparison.

May 3, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #908 of 988
Yeah I also don't think the M23 will be as warm as the M6 Ultra if it sticks to FiiO's current tuning philosophy.

That said I do feel that compared to the DX260, its an even less appealing option. I don't like it's soft, warm yet has oddly harsh(?) unrefined(?) treble with certain pairings. Add to the fact shanling daps are generally coloured and it makes them an acquired taste that "maybe" pairs well with specific iems/headphones and but definitely not an all rounder.

May 3, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #909 of 988
Yeah I also don't think the M23 will be as warm as the M6 Ultra if it sticks to FiiO's current tuning philosophy.

That said I do feel that compared to the DX260, its an even less appealing option. I don't like it's soft, warm yet has oddly harsh(?) unrefined(?) treble with certain pairings. Add to the fact shanling daps are generally coloured and it makes them an acquired taste that "maybe" pairs well with specific iems/headphones and but definitely not an all rounder.
I recently sold an M3ultra because I thought it didn't have very good synergy with many of my IEMs. I'll keep the DX300 because it still has a very responsive and fast operating system. And it has a sound that I like most of the times I listen to it. And there's the issue of power, if I decide to use it with more demanding headphones. But now I'm looking for the most all rounder possible. Simply turn on the DAP, grab any IEM from my collection and enjoy the music. And if it has a good battery and a smaller size than the DX300 brick it will be a bonus.

May 3, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #910 of 988
Don't fall for the argument "I don't care about output power because I'll only use IEMs with a DAP."

There are IEMs which are pretty hard to drive for just 300- 700 mW on the PO port.

My conclusion by reading a lot of reviews is, that if you wanna have sort of a future proof DAP, it should have at least 1 Watt on the PO port.

One personal example is the FATFreq Scarlet mini, where I had to go to 65/100 on high gain with the DX260.
With a 700mW DAP you might end up near full volume already.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #911 of 988
Falling down the rabbit hole.....
In a follow on to a previous post .....unfortunately my Dx260 still snips off the finial seconds of the last track of an album .
My player is fully updated and I have completed a full reset which greatly reduced this cut and made it far less jarring however unfortunately as you listen to your favourite music the little snip is still noticeable
I play my music via an SD card through the pure mango app on the player
Once the final track has been played once and I repeat it the track it then plays in full.
My initial thoughts were it was the gapless feature playing up but now I am wondering if it is the media scan feature.
I have scanned many times to keep things updated.
Although minor and it appears that there is a work around to enjoy the music as it should be I would like to get to the bottom of this.
Does anyone else notice this on their player?
Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter
Thank for your patience

The same thing happens with DX260, but only when I play a subsequent album after the first one, which plays all the way through. It doesn't matter what album I throw on, as the album cuts off a few seconds at the end when playing the music in the Mango app and running it off the EVO Plus Samsung 128GB micro SDXC card. I've updated the firmware to the latest version and performed a factory reset, but to no avail. I haven't experienced this issue in UAPP.

@Paul - iBasso have you been able to reproduce this problem on Samsung cards?

May 3, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #912 of 988

Different strokes for sure. I appreciate the Shanling house sound, as it's so easy to get along with. Plus I've always preferred a somewhat dark and warm signature, smooth and fatigue free for my piles of well known and rare 80s hair metal. Some of these recordings are hard to listen to with a house tuning like Ibasso. The presence region has always been my bugaboo - make or break it type of deal.

May 3, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #913 of 988
Don't fall for the argument "I don't care about output power because I'll only use IEMs with a DAP."

There are IEMs which are pretty hard to drive for just 300- 700 mW on the PO port.

My conclusion by reading a lot of reviews is, that if you wanna have sort of a future proof DAP, it should have at least 1 Watt on the PO port.

One personal example is the FATFreq Scarlet mini, where I had to go to 65/100 on high gain with the DX260.
With a 700mW DAP you might end up near full volume already.
You're right!! I noticed this yesterday when using the Aful MagicOne on the DX300. I think it was the iem that needed the most volume in the pot among all the iems I have. Does the MagicOne really need power or do I have a faulty unit? I didn't know it needed so much juice.

May 3, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #914 of 988
I recently sold an M3ultra because I thought it didn't have very good synergy with many of my IEMs. I'll keep the DX300 because it still has a very responsive and fast operating system. And it has a sound that I like most of the times I listen to it. And there's the issue of power, if I decide to use it with more demanding headphones. But now I'm looking for the most all rounder possible. Simply turn on the DAP, grab any IEM from my collection and enjoy the music. And if it has a good battery and a smaller size than the DX300 brick it will be a bonus.
OK, if there's one thing going for the DX260 it's definitely it's smaller size and weight. The M15S and R6 Pro II are taller and heavier than the DX260.

What kind of music do you listen to and what iems do you like?

May 4, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #915 of 988
The same thing happens with DX260, but only when I play a subsequent album after the first one, which plays all the way through. It doesn't matter what album I throw on, as the album cuts off a few seconds at the end when playing the music in the Mango app and running it off the EVO Plus Samsung 128GB micro SDXC card. I've updated the firmware to the latest version and performed a factory reset, but to no avail. I haven't experienced this issue in UAPP.

@Paul - iBasso have you been able to reproduce this problem on Samsung cards?
Hi
I am now pretty sure it's the gapless function that is causing the issue.
Turn gapless off and there is no snipping off the end of the last track.
The problem then is live albums and albums where tracks run into each other don't play as they should
I have emailed Paul at ibasso direct a while ago and he said it was being looked into and there had been an issue with the gapless which he had hoped the last filmware update had addressed
I am hoping a further update will sort the issue once and for all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back