DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #65 of 1,021
I could see a 7xx on a hypothetical dx340. Not sure that a DAP *ever* really needs an 8xx unless it also morphs into a more general purpose device. The increase in price and decrease in battery life don't seem worthwhile to me, at least. Anyhow, not upgrading to a 665 seems likely to be nothing more than cost-cutting.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #67 of 1,021
If the CPU does the job, the dap is fast, which I am sure it will be, quibbling about something that is faster and costs more with little benefit for the application is just that, quibbling. I have daps that are 12 years old and work great and a faster CPU would do nothing to benefit the dap. I would be more concerned about the enjoyment of the music and what the DX260 or any other dap does for that.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #68 of 1,021
The CPU performance of the SD665 SOC is actually slower than the SD660. The GPU of SD665 is however slightly faster but of next to no benefit in a DAP unless you use it for gaming. The SD665 is also a little more power efficient but throttling back CPU clock of the SD660 to match probably makes it even Stevens. I don't see any point in investing time and money into moving to the SD665 if your already using the SD660. A bigger jump further down the line yes.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #70 of 1,021
If the CPU does the job, the dap is fast, which I am sure it will be, quibbling about something that is faster and costs more with little benefit for the application is just that, quibbling. I have daps that are 12 years old and work great and a faster CPU would do nothing to benefit the dap. I would be more concerned about the enjoyment of the music and what the DX260 or any other dap does for that.
That’s like saying we can use a Samsung Galaxy S1 and run Android 13 on it and it’ll still work so why do we need a Galaxy S24 or an iPhone 15 Pro.

Good luck with your S1. I like my 15 Pro and I like my DAPs also the same way with latest hardware.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #71 of 1,021
That’s like saying we can use a Samsung Galaxy S1 and run Android 13 on it and it’ll still work so why do we need a Galaxy S24 or an iPhone 15 Pro.

Good luck with your S1. I like my 15 Pro and I like my DAPs also the same way with latest hardware.
It is a dap, it doesn't need or do what a Galaxy would do. I think people often just need something to gripe about, not even having seen what something can do.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #72 of 1,021

I absolutely agree here... having a faster/newer cpu means faster working user interface on dap, faster music library scanning, smoother operations, faster any app start, zero lags and freezes when navigating menus or installing apps and so on... and when you pay for your dap ~1k $ or above in 2024 you want to have modern snappy device with smooth user experience...and 7 year old processor like Snapdragon660 is a shame to use in such device. There are a lot of new Snapdragon processors which are super power efficient and much faster than an ancient SD660...and regarding the price of a DAP I would pay some more to have 5+ years futureproof smoothly operating device instead of laggy, but still expensive dap.
All I can say here - "greediness" of dap developers 😕 that is why I don't buy daps anymore, and use only portable dac/amp instead, to get that super snappy and joyful software experience with latest updates on my smartphone.

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #73 of 1,021
I absolutely agree here... having a faster/newer cpu means faster working user interface on dap, faster music library scanning, smoother operations, faster any app start, zero lags and freezes when navigating menus or installing apps and so on... and when you pay for your dap ~1k $ or above in 2024 you want to have modern snappy device with smooth user experience...and 7 year old processor like Snapdragon660 is a shame to use in such device. There are a lot of new Snapdragon processors which are super power efficient and much faster than an ancient SD660...and regarding the price of a DAP I would pay some more to have 5+ years futureproof smoothly operating device instead of laggy, but still expensive dap.
All I can say here - "greediness" of dap developers 😕 that is why I don't buy daps anymore, and use only portable dac/amp instead, to get that super snappy and joyful software experience with latest updates on my smartphone.
You spoke my mind !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back