DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 8, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #451 of 22,021
thats what i am trying to say, please for people who do not use eq do not give dap makers more excuses to keep up with their poor eq implementation in their daps.

They should learn a thing or two from v4a

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #452 of 22,021
  do not get me wrong, when u post to Paul the last comment you did, who is selfish here, I am wondering, why you consider yourself to be the majority. And even if you are the majority, then is there no place for the minority to get something they like to get developed. All we ask for is getting root and leave us alone

I don't want to argue with you. Of course you can demand anything you want. I didn't demand anything by the way, just wanted to know the reason you're so keen on it. But as far as I understand it is mostly because of the eq. So let it be...
The thing is, as far as I know you will lose your warranty with most of the phones as soon as you root it. Of course I know that you can always undo the root, etc...
but still there is something to think about if root would be permitted.
But I also don't have a problem if they allow their users to root it, just wanted to understand if it would be worth the hassle... the risk of losing warranty... but as I said if everyone can decide by him/herself I am fine.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #453 of 22,021
It's probably more a matter of prioritising their development costs - they need to R&D both the hardware and the firm-/soft-ware, and it's for a very niche market (expanding each year, but still highly-competitive and niche), so they need to prioritise getting a functional product to market, rather than allocating too much budget to luxuries like parametric EQ, etc.

It's no coincidence that some of the best DAP EQs come from Korea:

1. The Koreans charge exorbitant profit margins for their TOTL DAPs, so they can afford to throw some cash at luxury EQ

1. The Koreans have a multi-million-dollar national economy in smartphone engineering, and with a huge pool of potential high-level engineering talent, to throw at advanced functionality

...and other factors, too, but we all know the general situation, so I won't bore any of you.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #454 of 22,021

I don't want to argue with you. Of course you can demand anything you want. I didn't demand anything by the way, just wanted to know the reason you're so keen on it. But as far as I understand it is mostly because of the eq. So let it be...
The thing is, as far as I know you will lose your warranty with most of the phones as soon as you root it. Of course I know that you can always undo the root, etc...
but still there is something to think about if root would be permitted.
But I also don't have a problem if they allow their users to root it, just wanted to understand it.

thanks for at least showing respect to us who like such features and find them an essential feature 

now that's why me and warrior1975 and others find a non rootable dap would not make it on our agenda to buy, as we had it with the poor eq in daps

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #455 of 22,021
  Onkyo's volume range is 0-160 allegedly because A&Ks is 0-140 or something like that. 

So you have the move the volume control at least 10 clicks before noticing any difference.

We don't want iBasso going 0-200 

Personally really like the very fine volume increments- I think the issue is more how the control works.

With some DAPs like AK Jr- the knob is free turning but has very fine increments so it is slow to adjust- they address that by having touch screen volume- so I think the idea is to set your base level on the screen and then you can use the knob to dial it in. (A nice idea but with Jr. the UI gets so laggy the touch-screen volume will seem like it is not responding and then suddenly jump to a ear-wrecking level).

I prefer when knobs have 1:1 mapping with only one full rotation- but I think isn't so practical on a pocket device like this where the control is exposed and might be accidentaly turned, the very granular free-turning situation makes more sense from a safety standpoint.

For DAPs I think the best solution is still for buttons or a rocker switch- that way you can have granular adjustment combined with accelerated adjustment when you hold it in one direction, thoguh of course buttons can be accidentally pressed too- but that is beside the point anyway since they have already decided to have a dial.

Perhaps allowing for user to adjust volume increment and dial mapping to their preferences would be ideal in this situation. Of course I have no idea how much work or if it is possible with their volume chips or whatever... just my 'pie in the sky' notion.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #456 of 22,021
ch1n4-You don't always lose your warranty on your phone. In Europe, if I'm notmistaken, it does not void your warranty. It's a very unfair practice to void a person warranty, especially if a device breaks, due to something that is not related to root.

It makes little sense not to allow root. Would you purchase a computer that you don't have admin access to? Same concept...

Regardless, glad we can all agree that ultimately, it should be up to the user. That being said, I can definitely understand why ibasso wouldn't allow root... People can brick their devices easily if they don't know what they are doing.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #457 of 22,021
Perhaps allowing for user to adjust volume increment and dial mapping to their preferences would be ideal in this situation. Of course I have no idea how much work or if it is possible with their volume chips or whatever... just my 'pie in the sky' notion.

That's an excellent idea. I'm sure it would be easy to implement in the player's software.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #458 of 22,021

That's an excellent idea. I'm sure it would be easy to implement in the player's software.

Yes, I'd also like to see a user-definable 'cap' on maximum volume, to avoid nasty experiences with ear-damaging SPLs, when the screen volume-control is accidentally pressed.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #459 of 22,021
That's an excellent idea. I don't recall other daps having that either. I'm really excited for this dap. I've always wanted to give ibasso a listen, I just couldn't get past their previous form factor, just not my taste at all. Dx200 is beautiful.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #460 of 22,021
Don't get me wrong....I was a big fan of the DX100....so looks are totally unimportant to me....if it were I'd go for AK something or other. My complaint is the contrary....I see too much style and slickness...almost always to the compromise of function. As this is ibasso's premium product, it could have gone balls out....as it has other products in the line which could compromise more. Point being....no 6.3 Jack....could have had more manual controls...more heft to accommodate bigger battery and more powerful amp etc....is this making sense? In a range of products, strengths can be diversified and enhanced....not just replicated or incrementally tweaked here and there. The DX100 was such a well realised product.....

6.3 to 3.5 adapters are a few dollars....just saying. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #461 of 22,021

Don't get me wrong....I was a big fan of the DX100....so looks are totally unimportant to me....if it were I'd go for AK something or other. My complaint is the contrary....I see too much style and slickness...almost always to the compromise of function. As this is ibasso's premium product, it could have gone balls out....as it has other products in the line which could compromise more. Point being....no 6.3 Jack....could have had more manual controls...more heft to accommodate bigger battery and more powerful amp etc....is this making sense? In a range of products, strengths can be diversified and enhanced....not just replicated or incrementally tweaked here and there. The DX100 was such a well realised product.....

6.3 to 3.5 adapters are a few dollars....just saying. 
wink_face.gif

But they're fragile, and (unless the adapter includes a short length of cable) exert enormous leverage on a tiny 3.5mm socket

a 6.25mm DAP socket with an adaptor to accept a 3.5mm plug is fine, but a 3.5mm DAP socket with an adaptor to accept a 6.25mm plug is a bad, bad, bad idea

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #462 of 22,021
Given that iBasso did include a 6.25mm socket on the DX100, it seems obvious to me that they've chosen to just go with 3.5mm on the DX200 because of limited space in the chassis, so no huge socket possible.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #463 of 22,021

But they're fragile, and (unless the adapter includes a short length of cable) exert enormous leverage on a tiny 3.5mm socket

a 6.25mm DAP socket with an adaptor to accept a 3.5mm plug is fine, but a 3.5mm DAP socket with an adaptor to accept a 6.25mm plug is a bad, bad, bad idea

Points well taken. I use the adapter 6.3 -->3.5 very infrequently and never portable, so it's stationary and I take care inserting / removing it (no innuendo intended) but I agree that use scenario may not fit all.

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #465 of 22,021
nvm warrior got the pigtail first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back