DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Dec 11, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,426 of 22,021
I just hope iBasso's engineers are up to the task. If they understand what neutral sound-signature means, and if they have competent engineers and beta listeners with golden ears, then we will probably end-up with the holy grail, because we all know the latest ESS SABRE DAC is about as good as mankind has to offer (in terms of commercial DACs). If the DX200 proves to be just another contender with strengths-&-weaknesses, then iBasso will have failed IMO, because the ESS9028 DAC is state-of-the-art off the charts.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,427 of 22,021
This is iBasso, Kings of sound altering firmware. Guaranteed one firmware or another will make DX200 state of the art. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,428 of 22,021
  Its not the first time someone's come flying in a thread about pricing and won't be the last. Each time AK release a new DAP the amount of noise made almost requires around the clock moderation, makes UtopiaB seem quite tame. The fact is after all that noise, storm and ranting the sun rises tomorrow with exactly the same outcome we started with. I've witnessed it too many times, AK240, AK380. In my personal opinion. I praise iBasso for keeping the price way below that of other flagships. And I bet DX200 can stand up to those TOTL respectfully. 

iRiver deserve every ounce of criticism they get, with regard to the pricing of their so-called flagship DAPs. It may get old, but so does their continued insistence on price-gouging, so the criticism continues to be deserved. It's a pity that their fellow countrymen, at Cowon, are tripping over themselves to follow the same money-grabbing train, as fast as their corporate legs will carry them.

That aside, however, I agree that life goes on, and I agree in anticipating that iBasso will have achieved excellent SQ with the DX200, since they did a generally great job with the SQ of the DX100.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,429 of 22,021
I'm not really for the DX200 for several reasons: I don't need streaming, wifi, bluetooth or whatever kind of wireless, so won't pay the extra. Also, it's probably too bulky for my day to day. Last but not least, it's too expensive for what I'm ready to pay for a portable DAP. That said, I understand a relatively high price tag. As Paul said, integration costs are the key, given that UI and firmware development are included in that bag. These high-end devices are not meant to sell in millions, so these integration/development costs have more impact per unit sold. I also think some people have a wrong concept about salaries and developments costs in China. Manufacturing is cheaper than in western countries, but a qualified engineer, directly working (not oursourced) for a high-tech company in value added tasks, easily gets a decent salary, not in line with the ones at US, but comparable to what is normal in Spain, Portugal... What I'm trying to say is that develop (and maintain, as FW updates are done by someone who gets paid at the end of the month), is not cheap. I remember DX50 was made in batches of around 500-600 units. How many were sold?

Also, most people buy through official retailers in their countries, that don't pay Ibasso the retail price. Yes, prices could be cheaper, I'd like that's were the case, but it's not that easy.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,430 of 22,021

iRiver deserve every ounce of criticism they get, with regard to the pricing of their so-called flagship DAPs. It may get old, but so does their insistence on price-gouging, so the criticism continues to be deserved.

That aside, however, I agree that life goes on, and I agree in anticipating that iBasso will have achieved excellent SQ with the DX200, since they did a generally great job with the SQ of the DX100.

Oh I agree, I know we've been over it, AK set a terrible example for the DAP market. Not long after their AK240 several companies saw their opening for $1k+ DAPs, its changed the market completely and furthermore branching out now into IEM territory. But genuinely iBasso have always come across to me a company who seem to disagree with that pricing strategy, for that I'm very thankful to them.

I own an AK300 but it was a gift. AK380 copper is $6000 AUD in Australia.

Now come on mate, what's going on there.  Kin $6000...

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,431 of 22,021
Yep, with no disrespect to iBasso, I feel Fiio have done the most to keep prices low for serious DAP listeners, with iBasso coming in a close, and very respectable, second.

In terms of pure SQ, perhaps iBasso are slightly ahead of Fiio, so, all-told, I respect both companies, in the sub $1000 audiophile DAP sector. Audiophiles have much to thank both companies for.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,432 of 22,021
  Yep, with no disrespect to iBasso, I feel Fiio have done the most to keep prices low for serious DAP listeners, with iBasso coming in a close, and very respectable, second.

In terms of pure SQ, perhaps iBasso are slightly ahead of Fiio, so, all-told, I respect both companies, in the sub $1000 audiophile DAP sector. Audiophiles have much to thank both companies for.

Agree. Now, for those who, like me, want to stay in the sub-500$ price tag, it's time to wait and see what Fiio has to offer with the 3rd generation of X5, and what's the move of Ibasso with DX120.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,433 of 22,021
Agree. Now, for those who, like me, want to stay in the sub-500$ price tag, it's time to wait and see what Fiio has to offer with the 3rd generation of X5, and what's the move of Ibasso with DX120.

This is the one I am waiting for as well since i am not much of a streaming person (and when I do I prefer on a phone instead of wi-fi, without having to plan ahead for offline listening). In the meantime I got impatient waiting for dx200 and bought an opus1, pleased with it so far and they seem to be making good faith effort with the firmware, but I would still like to give dx120 a try at some point since I usually find iBasso's stuff appealing.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,434 of 22,021
I just hope iBasso's engineers are up to the task. If they understand what neutral sound-signature means, and if they have competent engineers and beta listeners with golden ears, then we will probably end-up with the holy grail, because we all know the latest ESS SABRE DAC is about as good as mankind has to offer (in terms of commercial DACs). If the DX200 proves to be just another contender with strengths-&-weaknesses, then iBasso will have failed IMO, because the ESS9028 DAC is state-of-the-art off the charts.

I really can't figure you out, man
biggrin.gif
  Are you really looking into DX200 as your next potential dap?  Or just posting in this thread to blow some steam off like you have done it in 3/4 of your total posts on head-fi in HD600 thread?
wink.gif
 I mean, i do see your fiio X1 review (a cheap lo-res dap for entry market which you clearly don't like), so are you looking for a budget dap upgrade from X1 2nd gen or just want to buy totl dap with a budget of $500?  I'm pretty sure DX200 will not fit your price budget and there is nothing that could be done about it.  And if you are interested in iBasso DAPs you should probably wait for DX120.  Or if you want to buy something right now, as some others pointed out, Opus#1 will be a good choice on a budget.
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,435 of 22,021

I have a lot of respect for iBasso, as in my opinion the DX100 was the first true audiophile DAP, and was my first at least. Despite its defects, it was an incredible machine, and worth every penny in my opinion. The matter of value is up for debate in any case. Boutique DAPs will always be more expensive than those of big brand due to lower volumes. Some companies have great value like Fiio or iBasso, some other company are in my opinion quite fair (Lotoo, Cowon, etc.) without being a bargain either. Then comes AK, and more recently Sony with the W1Z. Then it is just a matter of opinion. I think AK are almost crooks, because even if AK develop beautiful and mouth watering DAPs, they have ALWAYS been underwhelming soundwise to me, until the AK380. And even the AK380 needs an amp to shine!

The WM1Z on the other hand, while being ridiculously expensive, has, in my opinion, no flaw except weigth. It sounds beautiful, has a great stable UI, large capacity, and tremendous power WITHOUT heating up and with a huge battery life. NO OTHER DAP has this combo, but I grant it, the price difference with the WM1A is a bit of a luxury...but that is exactly what it is, you buy a WM1A like you would buy a Vuitton bag vs. a Coach bag (WM1A).

In conclusion to me, there are different categories : low, mid, high, crooks and luxury. Difference between crooks and luxury is a personal judgement, but it is mine.

As for trolly troll, I would not bother too much...some people just want to watch the world thread burn.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #1,436 of 22,021
  I have a lot of respect for iBasso, as in my opinion the DX100 was the first true audiophile DAP, and was my first at least. Despite its defects, it was an incredible machine, and worth every penny in my opinion. The matter of value is up for debate in any case. Boutique DAPs will always be more expensive than those of big brand due to lower volumes. Some companies have great value like Fiio or iBasso, some other company are in my opinion quite fair (Lotoo, Cowon, etc.) without being a bargain either. Then comes AK, and more recently Sony with the W1Z. Then it is just a matter of opinion. I think AK are almost crooks, because even if AK develop beautiful and mouth watering DAPs, they have ALWAYS been underwhelming soundwise to me, until the AK380. And even the AK380 needs an amp to shine!

The WM1Z on the other hand, while being ridiculously expensive, has, in my opinion, no flaw except weigth. It sounds beautiful, has a great stable UI, large capacity, and tremendous power WITHOUT heating up and with a huge battery life. NO OTHER DAP has this combo, but I grant it, the price difference with the WM1A is a bit of a luxury...but that is exactly what it is, you buy a WM1A like you would buy a Vuitton bag vs. a Coach bag (WM1A).

In conclusion to me, there are different categories : low, mid, high, crooks and luxury. Difference between crooks and luxury is a personal judgement, but it is mine.

As for trolly troll, I would not bother too much...some people just want to watch the world thread burn.

Well said mate, well said!

Low, Mid, High, Crooks, Luxury. 

Portable audio summed up in just a few words. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #1,437 of 22,021
Well said mate, well said!

Low, Mid, High, Crooks, Luxury. 

Portable audio summed up in just a few words. :D  
but still we hand them money.

Dec 12, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #1,439 of 22,021
You know it
wink.gif

As long as we know it...

Maybe (you) mean as we allow it. I for one wait to see what Sony will do to replace the 1Z in two years and at what cost. Can they justify 4000US or maybe 4500US or even 5000US?
I think iBasso in their DX200 offering will offer a very nice DAP at a very reasonable price point. Single uSD/64Gb notwithstanding.            

Users who are viewing this thread

Back