DVDs as Source for CDs & Other Matters
Mar 10, 2002 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jap

500+ Head-Fier

Hi, Folks! My name is John, and my handle is JAP. I have been lurking for all of one day before I decided to post some of my own audio concerns.
cool.gif

As soon as I clear up some pressing business matters, I plan to retool some of my audio-ware, beginning with portable gear. I don't have a headphone amp as yet. However, a new RA-1 appears to be a slamdunk choice to go with my Grado SR-80's. I am also seriously interested in tube amps, especially the Zeus OTL amp that received such a luscious review a few years ago when paired with the RS-1's (http://www.stereotimes.com/Zeus_Grado.htm).

Has anyone here ever reviewed the Zeus OTL?

In any event, since my trusty Denon CDP has finally bit the dust after all these years, I need a new source for my CDs when on the move. Rather than go with conventional CDPs, I am intrigued by the idea of using a portable DVD player to spin my CDs and, eventually, DVD audio disks. In particular, I am eying the Panasonic PV-40 portable DVD, which is especially compact sine it comes sans screen. (It can be connected to an external screen, including the incredible Olympus EyeTrek video eye glasses - http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...pg_eyetrek.asp)

DVD players, like the PV-40, commonly sport a 92 kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter (some carry a 192 kHz/24-bit DAC) that reputedly extracts more sonic depth out of a CD than a conventional CDP.

I wondered if anyone here ever used DVD players as source for their CDs, and, if so, how dramatic was this additional sonic depth?

If a DVD player is acoustically superior to a conventional CDP as their specs suggest, I'm thinking a PV-40 with my SR-80's and, say, a new RA-1 makes a killer portable set. I would probably want to upgrade the SR-80's to some Ety's for traveling and acquire a solid tube amp with some high end cans later.

The PV-40 has the extra ability to playback DVD videos, but I am primarily more interested in sourcing it as a super CDP at this point.

Many thanks in advance for your time and any advice provided.
cool.gif

Mar 10, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 9
In truth, I wonder if you REALLY care about 24/96. Me, I care about redbook and I care about SACD and none of the SACD player are cheap or portable. If you can afford it, look into the Sony 9000ES - shipped for $900 from Oade I believe.

If you're looking to spend less, you're probably looking at an ART DI/O DAC no matter what - $125 + shipping from fullcompass.com.

That you'll want to pair with a CD player or DVD player that has a coax out. If it's a DVD player, make sure it has two lasers--lasers are calibrated to either read DVDs well, read CDs well, or read neither well. I believe most of the Panasonics have two lasers and can be found affordably.

With any good transport and the ART DI/O, it will sound great. With a really nice transport like the S7000, it sounds phenomenol.

Mar 10, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 9
I think that GENERALLY DVD players are not that great for cd playback, however there are a couple out there that really pull it off pretty well, especially the more expensive ones. I have the pioneer DV444 and it functions pretty well, it should be modded however to take it to the next level. It's probably one of the better low priced players out there. It also has 2 lasers and progressive scan.

I have never seen a review for the ZEUS on this forum. I dont know if anyone owns one, to my knowledge no one does. I do know that if you got one it would create quite a stir, especially if it turned out to be pretty good.

Mar 10, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 9
A DVD player doesn't really add anything to redbook playback. If anything, the video circuitry creates noise that interferes with music CD playback. A DVD player may have the capability to play SACD or DVD-A disks, which can sound better than conventional CD's, but these are new formats.

OTOH, most portable CD players today are crap, IMO. If the cost of a portable DVD player includes a good output section, it may well outperform a portable CD player, even on redbook. I've never heard one, but at least it would be hard to be worse than most PCDP's.

I use a Sony 9000ES DVD player for redbook sometimes, and it performs well, but at 27 lbs it's not real portable. It's also not an improvement over dedicated CD players in its price range.

Mar 11, 2002 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
In truth, I wonder if you REALLY care about 24/96. Me, I care about redbook and I care about SACD and none of the SACD player are cheap or portable. If you can afford it, look into the Sony 9000ES - shipped for $900 from Oade I believe.

If you're looking to spend less, you're probably looking at an ART DI/O DAC no matter what - $125 + shipping from fullcompass.com.

That you'll want to pair with a CD player or DVD player that has a coax out. If it's a DVD player, make sure it has two lasers--lasers are calibrated to either read DVDs well, read CDs well, or read neither well. I believe most of the Panasonics have two lasers and can be found affordably.

With any good transport and the ART DI/O, it will sound great. With a really nice transport like the S7000, it sounds phenomenol.

Thanks for your thoughts. Sony and a few other manufacturers are expected to make SACD players that can support DVD-Audio as well. Perhaps we will see a SACD Walkman sometime.

I will look into the ART DI/O DACs. Portable players - DVD, CD or cassette - almost by definition demand good transport systems. Besides my portable usage will be confined to an office, den, etc. I don't plan to go jogging with and VDV or CD unit.
cool.gif

Mar 11, 2002 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
I think that GENERALLY DVD players are not that great for cd playback, however there are a couple out there that really pull it off pretty well, especially the more expensive ones. I have the pioneer DV444 and it functions pretty well, it should be modded however to take it to the next level. It's probably one of the better low priced players out there. It also has 2 lasers and progressive scan.

I have never seen a review for the ZEUS on this forum. I dont know if anyone owns one, to my knowledge no one does. I do know that if you got one it would create quite a stir, especially if it turned out to be pretty good.

I plan to do the obvious and carry some CDs to a dealer (eg., Ultimate Electronics) to compare the Panasonic DVD PV-40 PDVDP against a dedicated PCDP. If it works well as a PCDP this would be fantastic. The unit is nearly as compact as a dedicated PCDP. Plus, it doubles as a portable home theater, especially when paired with the Olympus EyeTrek FMD-250W portable multimedia display (http://www.shopharmony.com/default.asp?itemid=250W).

The Zeus was supposed to have been released in a more economic format (~ $750) in spring 2000. This never happened for whatever reason. However, it is pricey, and I am aware of other tubes like the EMP. I will probably add the Ety headphones and the Grado RS-1 later on. I suppose I owe it to myself to audition the HD-600's as well.

Mar 11, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
A DVD player doesn't really add anything to redbook playback. If anything, the video circuitry creates noise that interferes with music CD playback. A DVD player may have the capability to play SACD or DVD-A disks, which can sound better than conventional CD's, but these are new formats.

OTOH, most portable CD players today are crap, IMO. If the cost of a portable DVD player includes a good output section, it may well outperform a portable CD player, even on redbook. I've never heard one, but at least it would be hard to be worse than most PCDP's.

I use a Sony 9000ES DVD player for redbook sometimes, and it performs well, but at 27 lbs it's not real portable. It's also not an improvement over dedicated CD players in its price range.

The Panasonic PV-40 would have been even better if it was capable of playing DVD-Audio. I thought it did, but I was mistakened. A larger portable unit, the DVD-LA95 http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...CategoryId=295(), has that capability, providing an audio DAC with 192kHz/24-bits into 2 channels. This is superior to DVD-Video's 96kHz/24-bits into 6 channels.

I'll have to lobby Panasonic to put out a screenless upgrade to the PV-40 that has DVD-Audio capability. On paper, the LA95 is currently the reigning portable audiophile mobile. So I guess I will audition the LA95 at a local dealer with my CDs as well.
cool.gif

When is Sony gonna release a SACD Walkman? They departed from the mainstream stereo world and went renegade with the MD format before. What's stopping them from taking the next obvious step with SACD? Anticipated poor sales due to high portable SACD costs?

Mar 12, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 9
A dvd player can be an excellent source for cd's as well as dvd's. Better than a standalone cd player in the same price range? I think it's possible, especially with the higher spec dacs. Of course, there are some pretty darn good inexpensive cdp's out there. With inexpensive dvd players, I'd say it's more hit-or-miss. Since mass market dvd players are updated, oh, every month or so (well...it seems like it!), new models are popping up all the time. I'd say go audition some!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently using a dvd player as source, and am very happy with the performance. I use it almost primarily for cd's. The dvd playback is just an added bonus. Sadly, no dvd-a though
frown.gif

Those portable dvd players do look awesome. I wonder if their performance matches up to their steep prices.

Mar 12, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
A dvd player can be an excellent source for cd's as well as dvd's. Better than a standalone cd player in the same price range? I think it's possible, especially with the higher spec dacs. Of course, there are some pretty darn good inexpensive cdp's out there. With inexpensive dvd players, I'd say it's more hit-or-miss. Since mass market dvd players are updated, oh, every month or so (well...it seems like it!), new models are popping up all the time. I'd say go audition some!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently using a dvd player as source, and am very happy with the performance. I use it almost primarily for cd's. The dvd playback is just an added bonus. Sadly, no dvd-a though
frown.gif

Those portable dvd players do look awesome. I wonder if their performance matches up to their steep prices.

I actually went to a local dealer to demo the Panasonic portable DVD-LA95. This unit includes DVD-Audio (DVD-A) circuitry and can playback CD, CD-R, CD-RW, Video CD, DVD-A, DVD-Video, DVD-RAM & DVD-R. It carries a wallet-raping MSRP of $1299.95 but can be had for about $1000 or less if one does their homework. Still too high for my primary interest—that almighty AUDIO!!!
cool.gif

The LA95 proved to be not only extremely clear and detailed, it drove my Grado SR80's pretty well. I normally get only so much volume with the SR80's through ordinary PCDP's. However, the LA95 packs quite a power punch through the headphone jack. One wonders what it would sound like through the LINE OUT jack by a good headphone amp and cans.

I compared the LA95 sound to that output by Panasonic's lesser portables - the DVD-LV60 & -LV70. (There was none of the screen-less PV40’s in evidence.) Those units produced sonic distortion when the headphone volume was cranked too high. The LA95 stayed clean for as high as I dared crank it. After all, since I was in a store, and my SR80’s leaks sound through its open design, I couldn’t very well let ‘er rip like I wanted too. Ultimate Electronics doesn’t audition the portable DVDs in their sound demo rooms.

Still, what I really prefer is a PDVDP with DVD-A and the PV40’s super slim, screen-less design (a DVD-PA95?). These PV40 babies are not much wider than even a DVD disc! Plus, the lack of a pricey screen drives the PV40’s cost down to $449.95, or less than $245 for snotty shoppers like myself.

With me being the persistent little ‘cuss that I am, I emailed Panasonic concerning my portable DVD druthers, “innocently� inserting the notion that Sony would probably release a SACD Walkman eventually—possibly with DVD-A thrown in. I’m sure they were quaking in their shoes with that obvious goad!
cool.gif
Nevertheless, I hope they do consider my suggestion that there is, indeed, a gap in the market for a high end portable DVD player with DVD-A capability, especially one that shields the DVD-A circuitry from any interference from the DVD-Video widgets. Combine this beast with a good amp & cans, and you’ll be dancin’ in the streets!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back