DVD vs CD
Jan 9, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
Do an experiment where you compare the digital output to the analouge while playing DVDs. There is clear compression and more distortion in the highs when you use the digital out.

What?!?!? Not on my player...even when I was using my cheap Sony HT receiver, the digital path sounded much better (less muddy) than the analog path.

Jan 9, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
My Toshiba DVD player sounds decent on HDCDs, but that's about it. My 555ES is so much better for everything, even though it can't decode HDCD. I have a DVD of a DMB concert, also have the CD, and there's just no comparison in sound quality... DVD player is darker, kinda muddy, no details...ugh.

Ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little, it doesn't sound terrible, just not as good as I'm used to
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a Toshiba SD-3109 that did sound terrible using the digital output. It was also starting to handle layer changes poorly. I suspected dirty optics, and opened it up and cleaned it out. When I tested it out, I put a Monarchy DIP inline with it (it just happened to be sitting there not doing anything else), and the thing actually started making good sounds (DAC is Theta Chroma 396...not the HDCD version, so I lost that Toshiba capability, but Toshiba HDCD was not as good as Theta redbook).

Oddly, the Theta DAC sounds better with the Monarchy DIP than Theta's TLC (jitter filter). That's OK, and predicted by an article claiming that jitter reduction of the Theta TLC is compromised on coax input by the grounding scheme of the unit (with measurements to prove it)...but the ART DI/O sounds much better with the Theta TLC than with the Monarchy DIP. So much for measurements...

BenG,

How do you know? You're not using the same interconnects for the digital and analog outputs (or at least you shouldn't be), and in fact you're not even using the same DAC. What makes you think that the distortion is in your player?

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
What?!?!? Not on my player...even when I was using my cheap Sony HT receiver, the digital path sounded much better (less muddy) than the analog path.

Hmm...my player does better on the analog path. Then again, the digital path goes to a Yamaha HT receiver. The analog path goes though an Adcom preamp (until my Electrocompaniet is repaired/replaced) and Electrocompaniet Limited Edition power amp. Only 300 of this model were built, each tweaked and signed by the designer. I got mine from Transparent Audio, before they got out of import/distribution and started making budget cables. Transparent called it the best solid state amp in the world. Transparent has never been short of hype, but they do know good sound, and it's a good amp. Krell used to have a signature sound that I really disliked (haven't listened lately), and I'd certainly rate the Electro (see avatar) better than that.

I wonder why I like the analog side better
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
confused.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #19 of 21
The digital signal on most DVD players is compressed down to 48/16 for copyright issues, so you'll never hear a 96/24 DAD in it's full glory through the digital outs. Further, it's in my opinion that the compression used in DD sound tracks has a negative effect on the sound.

Every DVD I played on my lowly Panasonic DVDP sounded better through the analoge outs vs. the digital out into a Link DAC imo.
mad.gif

Jan 10, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

The digital signal on most DVD players is compressed down to 48/16 for copyright issues, so you'll never hear a 96/24 DAD in it's full glory through the digital outs. Further, it's in my opinion that the compression used in DD sound tracks has a negative effect on the sound.

Every DVD I played on my lowly Panasonic DVDP sounded better through the analoge outs vs. the digital out into a Link DAC imo.
mad.gif

My Pioneer, according to the manual, outputs 24/96 through digital outs. It can be set to downconvert or pass through in the menu. I keep it on 24/96. Sounds wonderful on DAD's and DTS DVD's. Sounds sort of crappy on CD's.

Jan 10, 2002 at 1:44 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

The digital signal on most DVD players is compressed down to 48/16 for copyright issues, so you'll never hear a 96/24 DAD in it's full glory through the digital outs.

That's just wrong. That may have used to have been the case, but it's not the case any more. (puts up dukes) My unmodified Pioneer player plays undownconverted 24/96 through it's digital outs. And even if it doesn't, msbtech.com will "fix" it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back