DVD-Audio vs. CD-DTS encoding
Mar 19, 2005 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a DVD-A player, and I'm looking to buy a DVD-A disc to try out. I went to Bestbuy and see The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over w/ DTS encoding, so I'm wondering if this disc is considered DVD-A or CD w/ DTS encoding? Which should sound better and what are the difference? Thanks.

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Something in between. There are lots of DTS DVDs. They're essentially regular DVDs with 5.1 channel DTS (20 bit, I think) sound. Not DVD-As.

So is it CD or DVD? B/c if it is DVD, should it be picture as well? Correct me if I'm wrong? So in this case if I want this album....I better buy one that have DVD and DTS decoding?

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Depend on what you want There is a DVD-video Version with DTS sound That you have video and audio. However DTS is compress sound. There is also a CD-DTS version so no video.

ps. According to this site (french) the DTS is 48 khz/ 20 bits 1536 Kbps 5.1 ch

DVD-audio on the other hands is uncompress audio or Meridian Lossless Packing with high resolution sound [allegly better quality] which but no video.

Here something I found with google of Eagles DVD-audio it's the older hotel california and not hell freeze over. But it's high res uncompress
Format: DVD-Audio: 96KHz/24 bit 6-channel
Format: DVD-Audio: 192KHz/24 bit stereo

Disclaimer: I don't own those disc and haven't heard them so can't comment on specific. they are just there to illustrate DTS vs DVD-audio. Info have been found by google and might not be accurate.

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 5
As far as I know, CD w/ dts decoding is an entirely different animal from DVD w/ dts decoding. CD-dts can be played back on any regular CD player (not requiring a DVD player) with a digital output. The digital output is required for CD-dts. There are no visuals on a CD-dts. Is it good sounding? It does sound quite good given its lossy encoding system. If you have a DVD-A player, get the DVD-A.

"Hell Freezes Over" is available on DVD, DVD w/ dts, DVD-A, XRCD, and regular CD. I am not sure about it being on CD-dts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back