DVD-audio and SACD?
May 4, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #31 of 39
I have thought of SACD since my receiver have support for it but haven´t been able to find any reasonable priced player. And seeing the prices skyrocketing it feels like I should just stay away from it.

But hopefully bluray format will replace it fast since then I am all set already
wink.gif

May 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #32 of 39
since your receiver has support for it? Meaning you have multi-channel analog inputs?

Also you can get the Sony SCD-CE595 for less than 100 bucks refurbed and about 150 bucks new, I dont think theres a better deal out there. Its a fantastic SACD player and a decent cd player as well.

May 5, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #33 of 39
To the OP. Some SACD's totally delete their CD counterparts but you need a good SACD to hear the difference. There are at least a dozen new SACD's released every week if you are into classical music. There are quite a few jazz SACD titles out there as well. Check out SA-CD.net for running title count and what's available. Really the now and the future is downloads. There are lots of SACD's being made available as downloads at 24/96 resolution. That is where I would looking is how to embrace that model of high resolution music distribution.

May 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please report how that works out for you. I don't think any Sony player converts DSD to PCM, so they would have to provide that as well.

I wouldn't mind access to the DSD though -- I actually don't have one of those Sony Vaio computers that can play DSD files, but could probably come up with something. Possibly even experiment with different DSD-to-PCM conversion algorithms.

And yes, I think if you burn disks and play it back on the Korg or the Tascam, it can be done.

Will do... The player is shipping end of next week and should be back beginnning of June.

And yes, the conversion from DSD to PCM is apparently handeled by the Vanity module. I believe all the copyright issues mentionned before are linked to DSD flow availability, and not PCM. If the SPDIF output can be played on any DAC, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to record it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
To the OP. Some SACD's totally delete their CD counterparts but you need a good SACD to hear the difference. There are at least a dozen new SACD's released every week if you are into classical music. There are quite a few jazz SACD titles out there as well. Check out SA-CD.net for running title count and what's available. Really the now and the future is downloads. There are lots of SACD's being made available as downloads at 24/96 resolution. That is where I would looking is how to embrace that model of high resolution music distribution.

Do you mean a good and well mastered SACD or a good SACD player ?

I think about the Philips 963SA I had home some time ago, that was really making a fantastic job with SACD, and the difference with the CD layer was so obvious. It can be had now for $60/80.

Indeed, my experience has been that the better the SACD/CD player, the more difficult it is to listen to differences. On my SONY 555ES (2 channels), the differences do exist, but are subtles. CD playback is very competent, and SACD are only marginally superior (but at the same time fundamentally superior as well if you understand me). All your downstream equipment will also need to be transparent enough to let you hear those differences.

And yes I agree with you, the "the now and the future is downloads", but I can't see that many SACD titles available yet in 24/88 or higher. As for me, I will keep buying SACD as an alternative for the moment.

May 6, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #35 of 39
Interesting... I was deciding whether or not to buy a SACD player last spring/summer, posted here similarly and got quite different response. There were individuals around (no hard feelings, it is just funny) who would not let me say there may be any SQ improvement in SACDs, other than better mastering. Listening tests were quoted, things like that. I tried a test question asking hey, if I hear well the difference between 128-256 kbps and lossless, would I benefit from SACD? - You guessed it right, I got accused of the Golden Ears claim... Again, I am not being bitter or anything, it is just funny, seems like those coupla guys are not around now...

Anyway, I got what I really wanted, Marantz SA8001, paid $900 at Crutchfield. Love it. It is a very solid piece of equipment, pleasure to unpack, setup, listen. Got its own HP amp built-in which is quite good, very listenable. Got some SACDs. They sure sound nice - but so do, to be fair, many well-mastered CDs I've got. The major issue I have is lack of time to listen these days, so later on I got $1.5K setup in my car and now listen to most of my music there, during the commute... Well, not meaning to digress here, just to point out that it is natural for a person new to this choosing a source to desire these HR formats, whereas other factors are important, too. If I were assembling the setup again right now, I would've gone with a nice DAC for those money instead, playing music out of my Mac though digital output. It is quite a bit more convenient. I don't really regret my choice, however, and I know that had I not bought a good SACD player, I would've been second-guessing and desiring it now
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally, I too noticed that prices on SACD have been creeping up over the last year. I have quite a few in my Amazon shopping cart, that's how I know. Didn't actually consider this as a possible investment, good point from Uncle Erik. Like those Rolling Stones SACD - too pricey now...

May 6, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #36 of 39
That is in the US you guys are so spoiled... I am afraid to google it but I expect more something like 400$
wink.gif

I couldn´t find that product I find these and these prices are in SEKS SONY BDP-S350 (2900), BDP-S550 (4000) och PS3 40GB (4300)
Samsung BD-P1500 (2400) och BD-P2500 (3900)
Panasonic DMP-BD35 (3300) och DMP-BD55 (4200)
LG BD300 (3500)
Yamaha BD2900 (9900)
Philips BDP7200 (3500)
Pioneer BDP-LX71/08 (8000/10000.

Meaning more like 500$ for the cheaper ones.

as for SACD I am not sure but some receivers are marked SACD support and others says no on the same? Can´t you bitstream the SACD track as well and let the receiver decode it?

May 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is in the US you guys are so spoiled... I am afraid to google it but I expect more something like 400$
wink.gif

I couldn´t find that product I find these and these prices are in SEKS SONY BDP-S350 (2900), BDP-S550 (4000) och PS3 40GB (4300)
Samsung BD-P1500 (2400) och BD-P2500 (3900)
Panasonic DMP-BD35 (3300) och DMP-BD55 (4200)
LG BD300 (3500)
Yamaha BD2900 (9900)
Philips BDP7200 (3500)
Pioneer BDP-LX71/08 (8000/10000.

Meaning more like 500$ for the cheaper ones.

as for SACD I am not sure but some receivers are marked SACD support and others says no on the same? Can´t you bitstream the SACD track as well and let the receiver decode it?

If you are going for Panasonic, then better to get at least DMP-BD70/80 to get best audio module (sure, older models have same good picture, but not best audio components)

May 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm! Something practical, i like it!!! Give a notice, if and how it works in your system (for my question background one citate from your given website:...'Furthermore, we fully implement the Serial Copy Management System and flag the digital output stream appropriately as to prohibit copying. Besides that, copy protection mechanisms in form of watermarks embedded into the audio stream are still retained and are fully functional.'...)

I have not sent the SONY to mod yet, but I have tried recording from the SPDIF coaxial output in 16/44.

Bottom line is that you need a recording device able to deal with the SCMS. The M-Audio audiophile 192 does that perfectly. The Tascam US-144 I first bought does not
frown.gif

I just can't ear any difference between the 16/44 SPDIF rip and the 16/44 EAC rip of the same CD. I guess the SONY does a very good job as transport in its stock form.

Can't wait to have the SONY modded now...

May 18, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by arj154 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I was wondering if anyone buys these formats and if they do what is the major advantage? are they the equivelent of a very high kb/s FLAC file? Are they much more expensive than a normal CD? I've only seen them on play.com and it seems like theres not many artists supporting it. Is it due to piracy?

To benefit the full advantage of SACD format you need 3 things:

1. A (good) recording that has been recorded directly as DSD without PCM->DSD convert during the mastering process.
2. A (good) SACD player that converts DSD directly to ANALOG, not DSD->PCM->ANALOG
3. Amplifier and speakers/headphones transperent enough to hear the differense.
o2smile.gif

Not so many people have all these prerequisites and that's why there is a huge uncertainity about the superiority of SACD format over CDDA. But listening a well done SACD on good SACD rig is simply MAGIC!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back