DV 336SE hum-Fitz mod?
Aug 13, 2008 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

manfred77

100+ Head-Fier
I have a near new DV 336SE, 100 hours of use. I have a small collection of good testing 6sn7 tubes, some hum and others don't. I would like to do the Fitz mod, if someone can point me to the origianl post of how to do the mod I would appreciate it. I've searched several times with several terms , but nothing comes up.

Any help appreciated.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 59
I'm surprised the new DV 336SE still has a hum problem. I wonder why they haven't modified the new model?

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 59
Mine hums only with certain tubes, out of about a dozen 6sn7's, I have 5 that don't hum and 7 or so that do. I'd like to try some of the Ken Rad black glass tubes I have, but they hum.

The easiest thing to do is just use the tubes that don't hum, right?
wink_face.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 59
So far my experience is the same - some 6SN7's hum, some don't. And tubes that do NOT hum in other amps do hum in the 336SE. But I have some nice 6SN7GTB's that are completely quiet, including the very nice tall-bottle Tung Sols (vintage NOT re-issue), so I use that.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 59
I think this is what you're looking for.

If for some reason the link doesn't work search tha336fm.

Roger

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a near new DV 336SE, 100 hours of use. I have a small collection of good testing 6sn7 tubes, some hum and others don't. I would like to do the Fitz mod, if someone can point me to the origianl post of how to do the mod I would appreciate it. I've searched several times with several terms , but nothing comes up.

Any help appreciated.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 59
Does anyone know of a step by step guide for a noob to do this mod? In the original thread Fitz just explains basically what the mod is, not where to solder or part numbers to order.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 59
I'm curious to know if other peoples experience mimics mine.

I've found that it's just a matter of time before the hum goes away.

Most tubes that hum took a couple of hours, but I had a grey glass RCA that took a couple of days for the hum to dissapear.

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of a step by step guide for a noob to do this mod? In the original thread Fitz just explains basically what the mod is, not where to solder or part numbers to order.

Make sure you test various caps around the circuit after powering it down for a few hours to make sure no lethal voltages exist across the circuit.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 59
Ok, so 2x 100uf caps, any voltage. Anyone have any detailed information on where these guys go?

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 59
Search, and ye shall find
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #14 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by manfred77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine hums only with certain tubes, out of about a dozen 6sn7's, I have 5 that don't hum and 7 or so that do. I'd like to try some of the Ken Rad black glass tubes I have, but they hum.

The easiest thing to do is just use the tubes that don't hum, right?
wink_face.gif

Ken Rad's are hit or miss. A lot of people have issues with them humming. This is not isolated to the 336. My 336i would hum on certain tubes but I don't ever remember it lasting for longer than an hour or so with NOS tubes.

Silvertone, RCA (black base), Brimar CV1988 (favorite in the amp) never had a hum.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 59
Heheh, I keep searching but finding the wrong threads. I've found Fitz's thread where he shows off all his 336 mods, but it doesn't have a step by step or something. There should be a sticked warning that the 336 hums and comes with a **** power switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back