Duped, and I deserve it.................
Sep 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stevemitchell

100+ Head-Fier
Well now.  Don't I feel like a putz?  <sigh>

I was the unwitting victim of a unscrupulous seller selling counterfeit goods. As for me, I was sitting in a vacuum, not sensing anything around me, especially blind to what could possibly be fraud, with a CAPITAL "F".

I'm not an idiot, I DO learn from my mistakes.  But damn, do they have to be so PUBLIC?
smile_phones.gif

I start this thread because I'm really PO'd.  Angry!  Unhappy!

These not-so-good feelings come from the fact that after buying online for over 12 years, and spending maybe $100K or so, that I could let my guard down enough to be completely taken advantage of, urinated on, excrement befalling my every feature.
triportsad.gif

At the time, all I knew is that these earbuds sounded like caca for Classical Music. 

When I thought of selling my purchase mistake - I thought I was being a really good guy - "they didn't sound good enough for Classical music.  Let someone else who loves lotsa bass & treble, have 'em for cheap!"  

At the time, I had no idea that I could have been selling counterfeit merchandise.

Critics chided me about my low post-count. Not that it matters- I've checked with Head-Fi innumerable times in the past 4 or 5 years I've been a member when I had a question about intimate audio.  But apparently, not enough.

What ended up was that I tried to sell "counterfeit" merchandise.  Total ignorance on my part may be an reason, but not a really viable excuse.  As I've learned, we all need to be vigilant in how we spend our $$$$$.

I really would like to see another forum section created on Head-Fi.  One devoted to investigations that conclude that 'counterfeit' merchandise is being sold to HeadFi members w/o their knowledge.  The goal - to make sure that it doesn't happen to anyone else.  

I'm not bothered by the $$$ really - really just the fact that I or anyone else is duped in the future.  Me?  I was duped to the point where I actually tried to re-sell bogus products here.  (No worries there.  I GOT my $$$ back.  The seller was for some reason, VERY willing to give me my $$$ back. ( 
smily_headphones1.gif
  )  

That's really lucky for me, but not everyone will benefit from that kind of luck, or fare so well.  Counterfeiters need to be crushed, and stopped.

Anyway, I was so impressed with the website that put me wise to the fact that I'd been duped that I'd like to see that information shared more freely with everyone who cares.

Admins, is it possible, let's create a forum devoted exclusively to the exposure of and perils of buying "counterfeit" equipment?  I think such a resource, taken seriously, would save a lot of our members heartache, and $$$$.

Thoughts?

Stevemitchell

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Steve, I'm really sorry to hear that happened to you and I'm happy to know you got a refund.

This project might be perfect for Head-Fi's new Wiki system. I just took a look and there's no section on counterfeit headphones. A Wiki might be easier for breaking down the various models and what to look for.

It could be a great resource for the larger Internet community. People verify urban legends at Snopes, so maybe people will start coming here for the lowdown on which headphones are fake and which aren't. It would drive traffic and help pick up new members.

Anyhow, great idea, and I hope something along those lines can get going.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 5
There's fakeheadphones.com though it can be hard to navigate. I believe the owner of the site is a long-standing member here and has really put his wallet on the line to seek out and document fakes of many major earphones.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
There's fakeheadphones.com though it can be hard to navigate. I believe the owner of the site is a long-standing member here and has really put his wallet on the line to seek out and document fakes of many major earphones.

fakeheadphones.com/forum (you get to view all the threads as a member)

We have come across all sorts of counterfeits. CX300, CX500, PortaPro, HD228, LGG hearbeat, Superfi 4 you name it, counterfeiters fake just about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back